What's new

Completing The 60’s (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Re: Burke's Law

<<< VCI wanted to continue but Fox sadly upped the license fee rates and that killed future releases. >>>

Was this ever mentioned on-the-record officially? If so, is there a link to an article which mentions this?

Or was this a rumor floating around for many years?

I don't know about an article, but I wrote to VCI about it back then and they replied that they were in the stages of negotiating further releases of the show, and it was apparently something they thought would happen. They even stated more was coming in one of the inserts in the first season releases. It was at the time, after all, their #1 seller.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I also like 1960's TV, overall it's my favorite decade for TV shows. I will probably get season 1 of Ben Casey eventually. I'd also like to have the rest of Burke's Law, including the half season of Amos Burke Secret Agent. Aside from that, I'd also like to have some of these short lived, one season or less sitcoms, like The Cara Williams Show, Hey Landlord, shows like that. Otherwise I have DVD's of most of my favorite 1960's shows and am glad to have them.
Both shows, especially Hey Landlord would be very welcome . Add Love On A Rooftop. He and She , and the shows that CBS needs to complete -especially Beverley Hillbillies . I get the feeling that My Three Sons is on it's way .Who would release The Donna Reed Show ?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Both shows, especially Hey Landlord would be very welcome . Add Love On A Rooftop. He and She , and the shows that CBS needs to complete -especially Beverley Hillbillies . I get the feeling that My Three Sons is on it's way .Who would release The Donna Reed Show ?

I agree Lou, I'd also like to have Love On A Rooftop and He & She on DVD. Occasional Wife is another 60's sitcom I'd like to have. I think there were plans to release Please Don't Eat The Daisies on DVD but nothing has happened so I wonder if there might be elements issues with some episodes. Also, the 3rd and final season DVD of The Flying Nun needs to be released so that series can at last be completed.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Why would the content/genre of a show seemingly influence its completion (or lack of same) on DVD?

Because the content/genre of a show influences whether people have interest in buying it or not. Believe it or not, not everyone collects all types of shows. Westerns and science fiction shows usually sell well. Straight ahead dramas do not.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
’Way Out (1961)
The New Breed (1961)
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1962)
12 O’Clock High (1964)
T.H.E. Cat (1966)
Blue Light (1966)
The Man Who Never Was (1966)
Garrison's Gorillas (1967)
The Outsider (1968)
The Name of the Game (1968)

This is my wish list and on top of that, I wish first:
12 O’Clock High (1964)

gg1.jpg

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, the guy who owned and ran Timeless was a *huge* western fan. That's why their lineup consisted of mostly westerns. The company was all about releasing what *he* liked. Period. Then Shout! purchased them and pretty much shut down what had been done in the past.

And the westerns sold very well. Other genres of shows don't. Yeah, if I was loaded and started a company, I would release what I liked, short run sitcoms that I watched as a kid in the 60s.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

How about Occasional Wife?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sony has beautiful remastered complete tapes of Occasional Wife, which were done for HA in the early 90s. Provided that is that they didn't erase them and keep the cut versions, like the geniuses at the warehouse did with Police Story.

Other short run Sony shows likely do not have any tape transfers unfortunately. Shows like Love on a Rooftop, Nancy, The Good Life, Temperatures Rising, etc. would require mastering to tape in order for them to be seen again.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Shout Factory would be the logical choice(if SONY ever budges to license it out).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
What is it about the sixties that makes me wish for more shows from back than? Today's programming is so dark, and seems to have an agenda. Nobody knows to have any fun, and not everything is a life and death matter.

I just can't seem to get into modern characters.

I never thought the day would come, when I would find Gilligan's Island and the Beverly Hillbillies masterpieces of humor. But they do make me laugh.

James

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
What is it about the sixties that makes me wish for more shows from back than? Today's programming is so dark, and seems to have an agenda. Nobody knows to have any fun, and not everything is a life and death matter.

I just can't seem to get into modern characters.

I never thought the day would come, when I would find Gilligan's Island and the Beverly Hillbillies masterpieces of humor. But they do make me laugh.

James
These "goofy" shows are a lot of fun , relaxing in a good way on a stressful day . I don't think there is ANYONE who takes these shows seriously. We watch then mostly for entertainment and nostalgia.They allow us to drift into a fantasy world for a short period of time. We can debate whether or not doing so is good for us , but I can't see the harm . I enjoy watching both of those shows occasionally , and I've bought them on DVD.
I agree that modern shows and thier "realistic" characters can be off putting for those of us who grew up in a different world.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
These "goofy" shows are a lot of fun , relaxing in a good way on a stressful day . I don't think there is ANYONE who takes these shows seriously. We watch then mostly for entertainment and nostalgia.They allow us to drift into a fantasy world for a short period of time. We can debate whether or not doing so is good for us , but I can't see the harm . I enjoy watching both of those shows occasionally , and I've bought them on DVD.
I agree that modern shows and thier "realistic" characters can be off putting for those of us who grew up in a different world.

(On a tangent).

If someone is looking for "serious tv" with realism, they shouldn't be wasting their time with fictional dramas, comedies, etc ....

For "serious stuff", they should be watching stuff like factual non-fiction documentaries and/or 24 hours news channels.

:drum:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
(On a tangent).

If someone is looking for "serious tv" with realism, they shouldn't be wasting their time with fictional dramas, comedies, etc ....

For "serious stuff", they should be watching stuff like factual non-fiction documentaries and/or 24 hours news channels.

:drum:
Lol...I'm not sure how much realism one would get with news channels!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
<<< VCI wanted to continue but Fox sadly upped the license fee rates and that killed future releases. >>>

Did they do the same to Shout! Factory? I noticed a lot of the shows they licensed that were actual Fox productions, regardless of intended audience or critical acclaim, stalled out before they completed, and all the ones they did complete were MTM acquisitions. The mouse that owns them now lets stuff out, but at what cost?

Room 222 is the one stalled show that started in the 1960s that was part of that deal that I can recall right now. The others I can think of were from the 1980s. Were there others?

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Now that Disney owns the 20th Television Library who knows if they'd even been interested in content deals.

I don't know why some company just hasn't gone to Sony to licence the 3rd season of THE FLYING NUN - even if it's off-the-shelf edited episodes...

...and what about Sony's lame excuse claiming "The Farmer's Daughter" negatives were damaged?(This was the story floated when AntennaTV announced they had the show, and then they didn't) 100+
separate film and audio elements? It's just another case of the studio not wanting to do new transfers (yes, there might be issues with the color episodes needing work after 50+ years) with limited return on investment for TV and video. Just look at the gaps in "Circus Boy" when AntennaTV aired the series because a handful of 1980's tape transfers were missing/damaged and they didn't want to go through the cost to replace a handful of episodes.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Now that Disney owns the 20th Television Library who knows if they'd even been interested in content deals.

I don't know why some company just hasn't gone to Sony to licence the 3rd season of THE FLYING NUN - even if it's off-the-shelf edited episodes...

...and what about Sony's lame excuse claiming "The Farmer's Daughter" negatives were damaged?(This was the story floated when AntennaTV announced they had the show, and then they didn't) 100+
separate film and audio elements? It's just another case of the studio not wanting to do new transfers (yes, there might be issues with the color episodes needing work after 50+ years) with limited return on investment for TV and video. Just look at the gaps in "Circus Boy" when AntennaTV aired the series because a handful of 1980's tape transfers were missing/damaged and they didn't want to go through the cost to replace a handful of episodes.
We look at these shows as part of our "heritage" - things we grew up with , and to which we have sentimental attachments . Many of us also believe that younger viewers might enjoy these shows and learn something about the past from them . For example , Circus Boy is far from an accurate depiction of "carney life " or a young boys experiences during the mid to late 1860s . But, young viewers might gain some insight about how us old timers were entertained back in the early days of TV. They probably would be entertained by Circus Boy themselves given the chance to watch the show.
But the people who now run these entertainment corporations look at things through two "filters" : will these properties make money for the company , and are they politically correct . It's a shame, because they won't give these shows a chance , and I fear that as time goes on they will be lost like many obscure silent films . Think about it , did you ever think that a show like the Bendix Life Of Riley would one day be considered "rare" and "obscure"? !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks