1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Completing The 60’s

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    It's a comedy. If I look hard enough, I can find something in anything that offends me. I don't take to complaining. I vote by not watching it.

2. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    There is a theory about comedy that states it must be dangerous to be effective. Turning shock and awkwardness into laughter is a great skill. Most comedy stems from differences. People who are alike and agree on everything would be boring to watch. I'm all for having boundaries, but I wouldn't stop adults from watching something I didn't agree with.

Mark Y, BobO'Link, Ron1973 and 3 others like this.
  3. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    I'm more surprised that Me-TV actually responded to someone more than the obligatory auto-reply they send out.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    If anyone is in the know, when can we expect Beverly Hillbillies season 5 from CBS, as it has been rumored to be imminent? I'm really looking forward to more Hillbillies and Gunsmoke season 13 next month!

5. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    I hate, like most of you, censoring tv shows. I am still blown away at the editing of Johnny Quest many years ago. For God's sake--Johnny Quest! Or Leonard Maltin's warnings before watching Disney or Looney Tune episodes on how wrong and bigoted previous generations were. There is always going to be some snowflake who has no life and focuses what little energy they have on something so ridiculous. We can't have Johnny Quest say, "Here comes the Oriental Express". That was one of the lines edited out of Johnny Quest.

Mark Y, ChrisALM, Ron1973 and 7 others like this.
  6. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    12 O'CLOCK HIGH would have to be on top of everyone's list (well, alphabetically, anyway!)

7. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Mr. Soyke , you seem to be a fan of Burke's Law. I've been watching the VCI DVDs releases recently and it's a very good show. I'm wondering why VCI stopped releasing the show after 1 season. Strange considering they released the spin off show Honey West in it's entirety. Any insight ?

8. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The only reason "Honey West" got completed was because it was a one season show. If it had been two seasons it would have suffered the same sad fate "Burke's Law" has suffered on DVD and IMO no other classic series has EVER been more gypped.

VCI wanted to continue but Fox sadly upped the license fee rates and that killed future releases. But IMO the second chance should have come when Timeless was getting the rights to release Fox and Four Star Catalog shows around 2014. Unfortunately, this was Timeless in its stubborn "WESTERNS ONLY!" mode. So it gave us two new releases of the similarly VCI stalled "Zane Grey Theater" but "Burke's Law?" Fuggedabout it. Not a western!

I'll admit that the reason that I'm still ticked at Timeless is that for some reason, they found time to deviate from Westerns Only when they chose to give us the pointless *third* release of "I Spy" on DVD that was totally unnecessary and was inferior to the previous Image releases. At any rate, once Timeless was taken over by Shout! that basically IMO killed any hope I still had that BL was finally going to get freed from DVD purgatory. To me it still rankles that a two season show has to be stuck at this when other titles would get their whole runs released at once.

MartinP. and bmasters9 like this.
  9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Why would the content/genre of a show seemingly influence its completion (or lack of same) on DVD?

10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Was this ever mentioned on-the-record officially? If so, is there a link to an article which mentions this?

Or was this a rumor floating around for many years?

11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Most likely it boils down to the folks who run the company which is releasing such shows. For a small third party dvd company like Timeless, this probably means the company owners are calling the shots. The owners decide how their cash is spent.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    My choices: Beverly Hillbillies(remainder), Petticoat Junction(remainder), Donna Reed Show(remainder), My Three Sons(remainder- with a do over in Seasons 1 & 2 for correct music cues & unedited episodes in all seasons), Hawaiian Eye, Bonanza(remainder), Tammy.

Ron1973 likes this.
  13. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Oh...how could I forget. The remainder of Alfred Hitchcock Presents & The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I adore 60’s television. What a great time. Mostly escapism and “anything goes” style storytelling. Sci-Fi and spies, monsters and fantasy, war shows and jungle action. I particularly liked 20th Century Fox TV and at the top of that list of unreleased programs are The Green Hornet and 12 O’Clock High. What great shows.

Ron1973 and timk1041 like this.
  15. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    @bmasters9

Basically this is suggestive the folks making the final release decisions at Timeless (before the merger with Shout Factory), were most likely big fans of less popular western shows and "I Spy".

If these decision makers were not big western tv show fans, I doubt they would have put so much effort into releasing less popular westerns.

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    IIRC, the guy who owned and ran Timeless was a *huge* western fan. That's why their lineup consisted of mostly westerns. The company was all about releasing what *he* liked. Period. Then Shout! purchased them and pretty much shut down what had been done in the past.

Neil Brock likes this.
  17. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Yes, it was the favorite genre of the Timeless owner but even so in the earlier period of Timeless releases that didn't stop non-Western titles like "87th Precinct", "Checkmate", "Going My Way", "M Squad" etc. from being released. By the time they were doing Four Star titles finishing "Big Valley" (which I was glad for) and "Zane Grey Theater" their attitude had hardened to Westerns only with the pointless "I Spy" reissue being their one exception.

bmasters9 likes this.
  18. Message #38 of 71 Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    ’Way Out (1961)
    The New Breed (1961)
    The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1962)
    12 O’Clock High (1964)
    T.H.E. Cat (1966)
    Blue Light (1966)
    The Man Who Never Was (1966)
    Garrison's Gorillas (1967)
    The Outsider (1968)
    The Name of the Game (1968)

This is my wish list and on top of that, I wish first:
    12 O’Clock High (1964)

19. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    I also like 1960's TV, overall it's my favorite decade for TV shows. I will probably get season 1 of Ben Casey eventually. I'd also like to have the rest of Burke's Law, including the half season of Amos Burke Secret Agent. Aside from that, I'd also like to have some of these short lived, one season or less sitcoms, like The Cara Williams Show, Hey Landlord, shows like that. Otherwise I have DVD's of most of my favorite 1960's shows and am glad to have them.

Darby67, LouA and Purple Wig like this.
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Was that I Spy release pointless owing to there being one fewer episode per disc, for one thing (the Image releases having as many as 6 on most discs, and this Timeless one having as many as 5, for one thing)?