What's new

Completely Overwhelmed by Choices and Such (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Looking at some of the TVs in BJs that appear to be showing non-HD source, the picture looks decidedly unimpressive. Looking at TVs with HD-source in Myer Emco looked very impressive recently. Then I saw one there showing a non-HD DVD and it looked really bad until I was standing what I felt was quite far away. The person there said the problem was the TV needed a "line conditioner."

I am wondering whether going into HD is a good idea or not, if I am going to be using mostly SD sources. Will the picture in general looks worse than on our SD set (27" Panasonic CT-27SF26) I'm watching on at the present time? Will some upconversion DVD player make it look just as good or better? What about the "enhanced for widescreen" feature of DVDs - does that help matters? What about regular cable or satellite signals (Dish Network)? How bad will they look? I'd hate it if I went off and spent all this money for a TV set that makes everything look worse than it does already. Would an LCD or Plasma set be best in this situation? Any particular brands?

Our couch is about 7.5 to 8 feet away from the screen. What size screen should I be thinking about?

What are the best pages or threads that discuss this type of thing?

Thanks,

Neil

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What size TVs are you looking at?

Regarding whether an HD set will look better than your current TV when watching SD material, I'll say this: if you buy an HDTV that is also 27" and is a good quality set then it should look at least the same and probably better.

If you're planning to buy a 60" HDTV and watch SD material on it, then there's a good chance that it will look worse than your current set unless you can move further away.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure we would want something bigger than 27". If it is a thin TV, then we might be able to increase the distance, but probably by not more than a foot. I was thinking of something between 40" and 50", but really have no idea what would be best in our situation - given that we will be about 8' away.

Neil

LS1 Sounds

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
I'm sitting 8' away from a Hitachi 57" RPTV, and it looks fine with digital cable in SD. It's GREAT with HD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks