What's new

completely original - another video card question :) (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm chugging along with my Pentium III 1.0 GHz using a 32 Mb GeForce 2 MX card. It actually does everything I need it to do - Star Wars Galaxies and Final Fantasy XI - acceptably, but I am thinking it's time for an upgrade. Since I can't afford to do a whole new system, I'm looking at just the video card.

I'm a bit partial to nVidia so I'll probably buy one of their cards. 3 seem to be within reach:

1 - GeForce fx 5200 ultra 128 Mb for $119
2 - GeForce fx 5200 256 Mb for $149
3 - GeForce fx 5700 ?Mb for $199

I guess there is probably a 5600 that would work as well, but since the 5700 replaces those, I figured I'd put that one on the list. Any thoughts on these cards? I would think that both would be significant upgrades to what I am using. Is the 5700 that much better for gaming than the 5200? Is the extra speed of the 5200 ultra more desireable than the extra RAM?

Thanks in advance!

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have a hard time reccomending nvidia, I do understand your partial. . . but there is better out there.

my reccomendation currently is the ATI 9600pro, it's a fairly potent card while sparing your wallet. you can get one for around 150$ give or take a 20 depending on who makes it and what it comes with over at http://www.newegg.com

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
If you plan on playing Half Life 2 I would go with the ATI 9600 Pro as mentioned above. Unless Nvidia makes new drivers for thier cards they don't currently support Half Life 2. No I'm not a fan boy i currenly have a Nvidia card but its on its way out , along with the rest of my system.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
James,

I used Nvida for many years and converted over to the ATI series of video cards this past month. The information you are given about the 9600 series is good information. The price range you are looking at will buy an ATI that will provide a great balance of cost/performance and compatibility.

Actually, I've had problems with both of these manufacturers in the past. One was the ATI 8500 not being able to produce 1600 X 1200 resolution without flickering/shimmering. I spent far to much time on the phone with ATI and the issue was never resolved. I finally bought a TI4600, which worked well in my system.

Other Nvida card besides the TI4600 gave me problems with drivers in other PC's that I owned. Stability was the issue most of the time, until Nvida provided stable drivers.

My point is, it seems in this segment of the PC biz, it's who's hot at a specific time. Right now, it seems that ATI is the card of choice for most people. Yet, at the same time even with this company, there is an issue of question about the 3.8 version of Catalyst drivers. My point is, no company is perfect, but ATI would be my card of choice at the moment.

I am not trying to start an ATI/Nvida flame war here. Everyone has different opinions, but if I was buying a card right now, IMHO, I'd go with ATI.

Charles

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The 5700 is far superior to the other budget fx cards. It is an immense improvement, and while still not equal to the ATI offerings, if you have that intense brand loyalty it should be your purchase. I would recommend the radeon 9600 as well, though.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Both companies make good cards, but I'm also eyeing ATI. Their performance has been great, and the value of their 9600 is excellent.

Jonny K.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
The value of the 9600 is great, but you might want to read up on the specs since it's a slightly different architecture than the 9500/9700/9800 (128 bit bus as opposed to 256)

But no matter what, I would also strongly suggest looking into ATi...who knows, in a few months, we'll see yet another manufacturer enter into the video card market and compete with ATi, maybe we'll all be talking different then.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks