Completed the set this week (bought Xbox)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by millercv, Jul 23, 2002.

1. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Well as of this week I now have a PS2, GC, Xbox and DC. I started buying the next-gen systems right after the big price drops.
    I must say they really are all very good, very capable systems that should have a bright future (well except the DC [​IMG] ).
    So here are my opinions/thoughts on them
    Playstation2 is good because of the sheer number/types of games available - It will always be ahead of the pack especially if you factor in the amount of PS1 games. A couple of weeks ago I made some homebuilt metal DDR pads so I could have the arcade experience in the privacy of my own home...
    Gamecube - currently getting the least amount of play (haven't picked up RE or ED yet) but I haven't had that many people over to play yet - I'm sure SSBM will be a good party game - and when Metroid Prime comes out - boy howdy. Also the Wavebirds are just too perfect for words.
    Xbox - definately the best graphics and sound, but besides DoA3 and Halo there isn't much more that I want available yet. This fall will see a lot of good games though. The little I've played online (gamespys xbox tunnel) seems very good and Xbox live should be better. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Unreal Championship...
    Dreamcast - I'm keeping it around forever for Samba De Amigo. If they hadn't have pulled the plug they may have had a chance to corner the "boy its cheap" market after the price dropped.
    All in all I would say it is a VERY good time to be a gamer with so many great systems out for >$200.
    So what are your positive thoughts on the different system (want to keep this thread upbeat...)

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

OK, here we go:
    Playstation 2 — great system with a boatload of games. My faith in the PS2's graphical capabilities was recently renewed when I played a couple of excellent games, Devil May Cry and Jak and Daxter.
    Xbox — What everybody says is true, the graphics and sound on this unit are amazing. The hard drive is a stroke of brilliance (I especially appreciate it as I just filled up my second $40, 8Mb memory card for my PS2), and for me there are enough great games to keep me busy well into the future. Now the library doesn't come close to the PS2s, but who has time to play all those games anyway?
    GameCube — Don't know, don't have one... yet.
    Dreamcast — Underappreciated and underrated, the Dreamcast was (and still is) a beauty piece of hardware. Still competitive graphically with the new consoles, 4 years after it's debut. And the games! Great games on the Dreamcast that have the advantage of being very cheap now.
    Long story short: I love everything! [​IMG]

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I don't have a next gen system yet ( I'll be buying an X-box this weekend) but going from what I know and have seen, I'd say GC is starting off really slow but will probably perk up soon with some good games, it has nice graphics though. PS2 has a ton of games but between the other systems graphics and the graphics of the PS2, I'm least impressed with the PS2's graphics it does have GTA3 though which is an awesome game. I look foward to getting my X-Box this weekend it has great graphics and the games are going to start getting really good starting real soon. Halo is a great game and is what convinced me into buying an X-Box. DC is still an impressive system it's too bad they pulled the plug because it is a great piece of hardware with some great software. All just my opnion though.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The Dreamcast will always have a special place in my heart. The console that comes in second is the XBox, then the PS2. I have yet to buy the Gamecube and don't know if I will. I am also considering returning the PS2, thought I think I should get another game like Soul Reaver 2 or Devil May Cry b/c I've been spending all my time playing Halo so far.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

They are all overpriced but the Xbox makes a darn good DVD player
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Congratulations! Its excellent to hear you have all three and I'm glad your enjoying the Xbox. The best about it is that you will *ALL* the upcoming games at your very fingertips. Its a good feeling to know that[​IMG].

8. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Exactly what Romier said. [​IMG]
    You know,with the many different purchasing options available,getting all three systems isn't all that hard.
    It's the Only way to go...
    IMOSHO [​IMG]
    Calvin

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

After we had a 7-player/2-console round of Halo at the recent Scooterpalooza, I can say that the X-Box has moved up a spot or two on my "Top 5 Things to Buy" list. Sadly, I have only $3 in my pocket at the moment.

10. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

We had one console in the living room with 4 controllers and the other console in the kitchen with 3 controllers. Luckily, one of the people who brought an X-Box with them brought an ethernet cable and it was just long enough to connect the two consoles together.

13. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

I just broke down and bought an Xbox with Halo. I've never been a real fan of the Doom-type games, but for whatever reason Halo is the jam! I think it's because I actually like the controls...

My PS2 hasn't been used in almost a year, but I'm hoping Sega Sports Tennis changes that.

Am I the only idiot that will buy a system for one game?

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer