Completed DIY Shiva in a dorm room theater :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveEdwards, Mar 21, 2001.

1. SteveEdwards

SteveEdwards Agent

I meant to post these pictures a while ago. About a year ago I jumped on the Shiva bandwagon, and this about 9 months ago I made the box. Over this past summer I changed the box from a PR design to ported design, after discussing here that large PR boxes can get muddy (as I had noticed). This past semester I finally got a small campus apartment worth taking pictures of, so I took a few. Next year comes the townhouse- can't wait [​IMG] Anyway, here are some pictures of my http://copland.udel.edu/~stretch/hometheater.htm
    And of course, I'll just post a picture of the subwoofer here:
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Stretch
    "I want good sound for cheap."

2. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

The sub looks really good, very nice job.
    How do you get along with your neighbors ?, I mean, when you play it loud I'm sure the whole apartment building rocks.
    btw, the word "Shiva" is not Hebrew for "Death".

3. SteveEdwards

SteveEdwards Agent

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..." Sorry, I glanced at this statement and misread it. Shiva means, "God of Destruction." I'll have to change that, thanks.
    One day one of my neighbors knocked on our door while we were watching a movie. She asked, very seriously, "Is that your room or is it thundering really badly outside? I can't tell." I looked straight at her with the most sarcastic face, "Yeah, it's thundering really bad." Not picking up my obvious sarcasm, she agreed with me and left. All six of us watching the movie laughed hystarically- it wasn't even lightning or raining outside! We turned down the volume anyway, but it's really funny how those bottom octaves carry right through these cement walls.
    I have a bunch more similar stories, too. A competition with the guys below us, fun way to wake up a roommate- gotta love college life [​IMG]

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yeah, Steve, great job. What are the specifics on your sub as far as tuning, port length, amplifier,etc?
    Cool guitar, too, btw. What type of stuff are you learning to play?
    ------------------

5. SteveEdwards

SteveEdwards Agent

Ah, someone else here plays guitar? Way cool! Most recently I learned "Be Like That" by 3 Doors Down. I've been learning mostly modern rock stuff that sounds good on an acoustic. I'm still very much a newbie to guitar, although I'm finally starting to be proud of my playing.
    I built the sub a while ago. I can't remember the specs exactly because they all changed. It used to be 4.5ft^3 with a 15" passive radiator tuned to sub-20Hz. I was not impressed at all with the sound, so I made a few posts here on the HTF and decided to modify it to a ported design. I put 3/4" MDF over the 15" hole and added some extra bracing internally, which brought it down to about 4.3ft^3. I can't remember exactly how long the port I installed is, but I believe it is around 13" and 3 7/8" wide, which tuned it to 23Hz or so. Again, my memory is fuzzy on this one. The port was kind of a bang-up job, I'm not proud of that aspect of it. Overall the box measures roughly 24" x 22" x 17.5". For amplification, I'm using two channels of the HK 5-Channel amplifier. The other three channels drive the front three speakers.

6. Tony Woods

Tony Woods Extra

Hey steve, nice setup. I also checked out your "computer" link on your page. Also not bad but I noticed it says "Athlon Thunderbird 700MHz @ 812MHz, 192MB PC100 Memory @ 107MHz,Abit K7V mobo"
    Now I'm pretty sure that the K7V is not made my Abit, but actually Asus and it supports Athlon classics not Thunderbirds. Also, how did you get your processor to run at 812? Default multiplier is 7x and it looks like your FSB is 107, which would make it 749, unless you changed your muliplier to 7.5 which would make it 812? I may be wrong, but just trying correct a few mistakes [​IMG]

7. SteveEdwards

SteveEdwards Agent

Gosh, you guys are finding all kinds of mistakes. Thanks, though. It's an Abit KT7, which can overclock in 1MHz steps. The multiplier should be 7.5 x 108. The FSB speed and the memory speed can be different. In this case, I have the FSB speed 1MHz higher than the memory speed. Although, I have since set them both to 107 to keep them in sync for more speed.
    On a related note, I updated my resume and schedule online before more errors were found :-P

8. Tony Woods

Tony Woods Extra

Well as a fellow computer geek I'm just tryin to help you correct some errors!
    here's what I'm running
    AMD Thunderbird 850@1100 (10x110)
    256MB PC133 @145
    Geforce2 64mb 240core, 395mem
    SBLive! w/ Altec Lansing ACS54 4.1 system
    16x Pioneer DVD player
    Still sucks for watching movies on it lol
    take it easy

9. Kevin Kloet

Kevin Kloet Agent

Actually, the K7V can be modified to accept a higher clocked Thunderbird (it will run lower speed TBirds, up to around 800-850 I believe, the way it is).
    Not that I have a Tbird anyway...
    I've got:
    Athlon Classic 700@850... need to drop the cache divider to get more.
    Asus K7V
    TNT2Ultra
    384mb pc133 micron & infineon RAM
    mx300 sound
    blah... blah... blah...

10. Tony Woods

Tony Woods Extra

actually, the K7V will not run any thunderbird. it is physically impossible as athlon classics are "slot A" meaning the processor goes in like a PCI card, and the thunderbirds are "socket A" which is the more tradition (and economical) approach

11. Jason J

Jason J Auditioning

actually Tony,
    AMD did make the first couple of Thunderbirds in both slot-A and socket-A form factors, so it is possible to come across a slot-A thunderbird. Look at pricewatch's listing of thunderbird 900's: it lists both slot-A (more difficult to come across now) and socket-A chips
    http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/2478-1.htm
    Jason

12. Blake N

Blake N Auditioning

You could also use a slotkit but I dont know if they make them for amd prosessors, My cell2 566 @ 876 mhz is running on a slotkit in my abit bx6 rev 2 (yes that is 103 Mhz FSB gotta love abit).
    ------------------