What's new

Complete Tom Baker "Dr. Who" Set In October? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Definitely Dana :)
Though I still want the US releases to not be edited together! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All the Doctor Who DVDs released in R1 so far use the same episodic format as was originally aired in the UK.
As you can see in this screen capture from the "Ark In Space" DVD I own, you get the four episodes that you can choose from, and six chapter stops each in of the episodes. OR you can "Play All" and watch all four episodes in a row.
So essentially you can view it any way you want to. :) I have both watched them all in one sitting AND watched an episode per night (I couldn't wait a whole week, sorry!). Bless the BBC for giving you a choice, eh? And the Doctor Who Restoration Team deserves pats on the back, too.
With very minor changes, the discs are the same in R2 as they are in R1.
Look for my review of Tomb Of The Cybermen to be posted at TVShowsOnDVD.com on Wednesday and Ark In Space on Thursday, in all likelihood. Screen shots like the one above will accompany both - about a dozen for each disc. Actually, I turned in a lotta reviews in the past 2-3 weeks, and Gord has been so swamped that he's just now getting them posted...one per night! :D

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
In Boston, they were never aired that way either. They were one half hour episode at a time. I've never ever seen a "compiled story episode" ever; this is the first I've ever heard of that - I'm skeptical if it is even true.
There's no doubt it's true - when I first started watching (around '82), my PBS station did an episode every weekday, but within about a year, they switched to showing the edited together "movie" versions on Friday and Saturday night, and that's how I watched them for years. Dana is right that the editing was very subpar, and you could usually tell that this was where the episode was supposed to end. Add in the fact that sometimes the lead-in to the cliffhanger isn't exactly the same as the start of the next episode, and you can see what a mess it is when they edit them into one movie.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
It's definitely true. The edited-together storylines were all that the local PBS station (KTCA, Minneapolis) aired until the last couple years prior to cancellation of the series. However, when they finally began reairing the series again a year or two ago, they decided to show one 25 minute episode per week. Although I prefer the episodic format, I'd also prefer more than 1 episode per week. But it's better than no Who at all...

Also, most of the older VHS tape releases were in the edited format.

Users who are viewing this thread