What's new

Complete system or separate? (1 Viewer)

I want a 5.1 surround sound in my room and I have a limited price range I can afford. I am only 15 so it will need to be between 300-450. I have heard some good thigns about the kenwood htp-505, and an Onkyo set I think the 605's? Anyway, if you think individual speakers are the way to go the please post the make/model. Otherwise tell me anyother good complete sets.

Thanks alot, Dave

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Onkyo HT-650 is a very good complete set (Home Theater in a Box) that will provide both a well-reviewed reciever and speakers that are bigger and of better build quality (the SKSHT-500 speaker set is the one I believe comes w/this set, according to the Onkyo website) than most of the little HTIB speakers that come with most HTIB sets.
At Circuit City, the Onkyo HT-650 is $499.99; the SKSHT-500 speaker set is now on sale for $249.99, so if you want, you could also pair those speakers with one of the $199 recievers there (Pioneer VSXD411 or Sony STRDE485, Panasonic SAHE70S) to reach $450. Do some research on the internet at sites like audioreview.com and learn more about the products you are considering - what kind of connections they have and whether or not they fit your needs (power, hookups, etc.) Go and take a listen to systems you are considering - even at the $300-450 price range, you do still have several options.
Also, there are many options a bit above your price range, if you consider extending it a bit. Maybe some additional sales at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will happen after Christmas (to get rid of inventory) or on Christmas Eve and you could get a set that was just out of your price range before.
The Best Buy site also listed some good looking Sony and Pioneer Home Theaters in a Box within your price range, too.
Here are some reviews/links of interest:
Onkyo HT-650: http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...4-9952795.html
Onkyo SKSHT-500: http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...-20455132.html
Onkyo Website Listing for HT-650: http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=minisys&p=i
If you get the Onkyo speaker set, you also should consider picking up some better speaker wire than what comes with them.
Just my humble opinions; some other forum members may have better suggestions.

What are htib sets? Also, does a subwoofer, center speaker, and 4 main speakers come with the SKSHT-500 speaker set? How does the reciever affect the quality of sound? Thanks

AaronJB

Second Unit
A Home Theater in a Box is the term for any set from one manufacturer that includes both a set of speakers and a reciever (some also include DVD players, some don't). The Onkyo HT-650 (Speaker Set + Reciever) would be an example of a Home Theater in a Box.

The SKSHT-500 comes with two fronts, two surrounds, a center and a subwoofer. The speakers are large, too (the two main fronts are about 16 inches tall, for example).

Different recievers from different manufacturers do have a different sound quality, while some are also more powerful than others. If you are considering different recievers or specific pieces of equipment, it would be good to ask in another, specific thread (or do a search for the model number).

Again, definitely do research about anything you're considering before making a purchase.

I am almost positive that I will be getting the Onkyo HTib. I heard it was a very good value along with very good quality speakers and a reciever. I also heard that if you buy it at Best Buy you get a $100 gift card, I will check it out. I saw this HTib on ebay for $350, it is so much cheaper but I do not want to risk it not working. I will need to think about it.

Edit: I just realized what you meant, is this reciver that is included in the HTib worth $250? If not could you recommend a good reciever that is at least as good but possibly more for my money?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks