Complete Package for around $1000?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RaviK, May 6, 2004.

1. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Hi,

I've been posting the same question at various HT forums. I'm just another newbie looking for some pointers on where to start. Yes, my budget tight for a complete package. But then I guess this should be fine for a 300 sq ft living room. I am not interested in the "Home theater in box" kind of solutions, since I didn't read good reviews about them. I am willing to go upto $1200, though.

My friends were suggesting I should get a really good receiver and an average speakers so that I can upgrade easily later. Would like to know your take on this. Any advice very much appreciated!!

Current Configuration :
    Panasonic Progression Scan 5 - DVD
    Looking to buy a nice Panasonic Projection TV

Thanks!

2. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

You can get a really good receiver and average speakers for $1200 and that may work just fine .
    But I personally went the other way and got really good speakers and a $100 receiver. And this has worked out. every one who heres it, thinks it's fabulous. Now I had a nice hk with average speakers and was not happy with the sound.
    So I would go speakers first receiver second.
    just my $.02

my speakers are klipch 5.1 system $2,000.00
    wal mart system in a box receiver $100.00
    this will get upgraded to dennon 7.1 system later
    you could probably get good speakers for $1200 if you shop wisely and get a cheap receiver

3. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Thanks Ramon! Could you throw some suggestions? One of the forums suggested a Rocket ELT (it includes their speaker package and a Denon 1804). I'm seriously considering this, but like to research more before finalizing.

4. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    You could get 4 Paradigm Atoms

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/664/

a Paradigm CC-170

http://www.audioreview.com/pscSpeake...4_2743crx.aspx

and a Dayton Sub (which I don't know anything about, but people seem to like)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632

for around $600 (with 15% off retail from Paradigm dealer which you should expect to get)

Pair those up with a receiver such as

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....product&cmp=++

and you'd be all set for under $1,000

I have two atoms as surrounds, along with two Paradigm Titans for mains and the CC-170 and I love them.

5. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Any idea about Athena Point5 System MK II with ASP300? OneCall.com has an offer for them for $500. I was thinking I can easily upgrade the front speakers to an ASF2 later.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't heard the Athena's, but some owners have given them good reviews for a budget system on the AV Science Forum. Some have been pairing them with the Panasonic receivers with the digital amps(the SA-XR series, not the HE series)and have said it outperformed their expectations.

Incidently, Sears is going out of the component audio business and is running receivers 50% off. If they have any left in your area, you could probably get a great deal. I picked up a floor model Panasonic SA-XR25 for under a hundred bucks(regularly $270). Here is a coupon for an extra $10 off that is applicable to clearance items as well.

Good luck,
    DJ

7. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Definately put more thought, time and money into the speakers. A good set of speaker that you really like are an investment that you'll enjoy for years. I've had the same tower speakers for more than 20 years and I still love them. In that time, I've had 5 different receivers.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Have you gone shopping yet? While H/T forums can be incredibly useful, we really can't substitute for actual auditioning. What works for someone may not work for you...

9. RaviK

RaviK Agent

I guess I will concentrate more on the speakers.

Drew,
    Yes I went to a local sound track and tried the Klipsch RF15 package (matching sub and surround) on a Denon 1604. They sounded a little sharp to me. I guess on prolonged hearing, they will wear my ears down.

What I'm trying to do right now is to prepare an audition list based on all your recommendations. Once I have four to five items in the list, I will start auditioning them and finalize on something. Here is the list I have so far:

1) Rocket ELT - 1
    2) JBL Combo: JBL E30, JBL E10, JBL EC25, JBL E150P.
    3) Jeremy's suggestion above

The Rocket package works out to be a little more than my budget. But if they are really good, I might take them.

Receivers would be either a Yahama HTR-5760 or a Denon 1804