Complete loss of self control.........Panny AE700 and Carada on the way!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Brock, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Well yesterday I finally broke down and did what I have wanted to for years. I bought a Panny AE700 from www.projectorpeople.com and a 110" Carada Brilliant White screen. The projector should be here friday and the screen probably sometime next week I think. Currently I have a Mitsu 55" that is probably 3 years old so I am hoping to be blown away with the performance!!! It will be going in a room that is 21 x 19 with some ambiant light. Ill post some pics and my impressions when I get everything going.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Congrats!!

BTW, ambient light and a 110 inch do not match well. Try to do everything you can to control the lighting down to zero.

Regards

Gregg

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nice Chris, very nice. I bought my Panny from projectorpeople as well and had a great experience dealing with them. Can't wait to hear your comments on it and see some pics.

I want to upgrade my 200u but even after 2 years with it she still puts out an amazing image. Once HD-DVD / Blu-Ray find a direction to go then I'll upgrade.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You will want to revisit your entire dvd collection. Well done.

5. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Gregg, I was hoping that by going with the higher gain screen it help a little with this issue. basically here is the room that the projector will be in..............

[​IMG]

the room is on the lower level of a split level home so the windows are half the size of a normal window. Right now there are wooden blinds in each of them. I was thinking that I could purchase some cheap blackout pull down blinds and hind them behind the wooden ones. Would that be a big improvement?

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

Yes, it would. A very inexpensive yet effective way to kill the light.

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Get the room completely light controlled. Also try to reduce the backscatter of light from the walls, ceiling, and floor onto the screen. Once you do that, you'll be quite pleased with the Carada BW. If there is ambient light, the picture will wash out. WIth complete light control, the picture looks much better.

Disclaimer - the following does not represent an opinion of ISF or ISFRL nor an endorsement by ISF/ISFRL. It is only that of an individual using the screen.

BTW I like my own Carada BW screen. I don't see any sparkly screen fabric artifacts nor significant hotspotting. I see just the picture and not the screen's own surface.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, might I also suggest a dark colour for at least the front wall helps bigtime.

9. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

the projector is well on its way and should be here tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it typically takes Carada to ship a screen? I assume it will take them a little time to get it built and things but I have no idea when I could expect it to be shipped.

I started disconnecting things last night and moving some things around. What a big job!! Ill do some more tonight but will probably use most of saturday trying to get everything situated.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Not sure about Carada other than most people here have had great experiences with them.

Have you thought about which cables to get, how long, and where to route them?

11. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Carada is a great product and can usually ship the same week as the order.

Best wishes!!

Gregg

12. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Thanks! I am going to try to get the room moved around on saturday and at least project onto the wall until the Carada arrives.

As far as wiring, I went the DIY route on that one. I had about 200ft of RG6 sitting around from back when we built the house. So I picked up some Neutrik RCA connectors from PE and soldered togather a 50ft component video cable. I tested it out last night and I was very happy with its performance but am definitly happy it will be hidden where no one can see it!! cause it is pretty ugly haha.

13. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I also just found out that the Carada shipped this morning. So I placed the order on a Wed and the shippment went out on Fri. So it took basically only 2 days to ship the order. That is excelent IMO! It is estimated to arrive on Monday. I am happy the weekend here is going to be rainy, now I have an excuse to stay at home all weekend!! mmuuhhaahhaha

14. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

well I got the Carada onn Monday and got it hung last night. I had been using the panny on the wall until last night and didnt want to comment on the picture until I got the screen. Here it goes keep in mind this is my first real experiance with a projector..............

I will never buy another RPTV again. The PQ on this panny is breathtaking. the colors are so vivid and life like that I just say in awe last night watching discovery HD theater. The projector itself was wonderful but I will say without a doubt that what sent it over the edge was the addition of the screen. My wife said countless times that she felt as though she would be able to reach through the screen and touch the objects that were being displayed. There is a feeling that there is no screen and that you are actually looking through some type of window to the actual thing. it is like you can no longer see the surface that the picture is being projected on you can only see the picture. Absolutly breath taking HD. DVD is amazing as well, though if you go strait from HD to DVD to can really see the limits of DVD. Compared to our old diplay though the DVD picture is amazing and the increase in size gives the action a much more realistic feel. Regular TV really is quite watchable IMHO and we saw no real issues. I will be taking some shots of the layout and things and also some screen shots, though they could never do it justice.

Once again I have a Panny AE700 projecting onto a 110" Carada BW screen.

15. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

That's a great experience to have! Congrats. And think of it.... future projectors will be even better in image quality. Work next on reducing the room's interference with the picture. Darkening the surfaces in the room will give you yet another quantum leap in the sense of depth and color in the projected image.

16. John S

John S Producer

For the money, that is my front projo of choice...

Really amazing unit for under $2K....

17. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Congrats - it's a great projector for the pricepoint.

See the AVS thread on filters for the AE700. You can get much deeper blacks and better contrast for ~$70 with a B&W filter - highly recommended, if you want better blacks.

18. MikeMon

MikeMon Stunt Coordinator

did you guys mount the 700U on the ceiling? If so did you have any trouble? I have heard some bad reviews and want to be ready to do what is needed when I get mine this week.

Any tips on this unit?

19. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Actually ours is not mounted on the ceiling. There is a bookcase behind the main seating area and the projector is sitting on one of the top shelfs. Really IMO there isnt anything you need to do immediatly. Right out of the box the picture was pretty darn good. I did a calabration with DVE and there were only a few minor changes made. The only thing that I am really glad I did was get the screen. I was planning to do my own screen and after seeing the Carada, how quick it went togather and the results of the picture I am glad I went ahead and just bought one.

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

Post some pictures of your setup in our Gallery.

The combination of the AE700 with the Carada BW is a great example of how you can get a fantastic picture without having to spend an arm and a leg to do so. As Guy said just wait until you see what is around the corner. You have just entered into a realm where there is no return. [​IMG]

Also, expect lots of friends that will want to come over for dinner more now.