Complete HTR in 2 weeks for under $10K

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Osborne, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Well, here goes...
    My wife and I close on our first new home next Friday. In the days following the move and the following 2 weeks we will be building the Home Theater Room.
    The basement is unfinished now. My goal is to be hooked up with sound and picture, ready for carpet in 2 weeks.
    I started my Home Theater Gallery today with some of my plans. Take a look, give me some comments.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=3979
    Here is a list of what I have or am getting.

A/V rec/amp : Onkyo 803 - on the way, be here within a week
    DVD : Toshiba XS54 - ordered, hope they don't b/o it
    Display : BenQ 7700 - shipping early next week
    Seating : 2 sets of 3 wide home theater seating (black leather) delivery set for closing day
    Tactile Sound : Clark Platinum TST - I got this the other day, don't see how this little thing will produce that much bounce in my riser, hope it lives up to the hype.
    Amp for TST : 250W @ 4ohm amp with remote for volume and crossover frequency. got this too, wow - BIG and HEAVY (good thing I have a room devoted to the A/V equipment)

Speakers : I have. they will do for now. THX certified 5.2 Technics. Nice speakers, may replace them sometime down the road.

I'll update my Gallery with pics daily once I get into the house.

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Brian,
    Looks like a nice set up. Is this your first theater? If so, maybe you should read Things that I wish I had done differently to avoid mistakes others have made. Two weeks seems ambitious. I thought I did well building mine in under 4 months. Just doing the spackle on the sheet rock took over a week. There's not much you can do to hurry up the drying. [​IMG] Keep us posted.
    Dave

3. Brian Osborne

Yup, I've spent plenty of time on that thread. I am going to be avoiding some drywall work by putting up columns every 4 foot. Help keep some of the work down and avoid large flat surfaces. The Curtains in the back should help the accustics a lot too.
    I did do a quick HTR in the basement of our townhome. Nothing too special, finished the basement and wired for surround. Now I'm just upgrading from 32" Sony CRT to the projector, among other things.

4. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

Good luck meeting your 2 week deadline [​IMG] I am wrapping up my HT by mid next week. My project went over timewise by roughly 3 weeks and more so $$. This is my second go at it. I learned a lot doing it twice. Acessability to wiring is a must for future upgrades. Technology has change so much in the last 5 years.

I am also considering the Onkyo 803. I had my eyes on the Denon 3806 but really don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have too.

5. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Two weeks?!

I would spend more time planning so you get what you want and have less regrets (there are always some) on the finished project.

I agonized over lighting zones, wiring, switches, components, speakers, screens, paint and flooring.

I did the electrical and component wiring myself which took more time than I planned due to having a one-year old son.

Good luck to you.

6. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

Wow!, That's a project and a time line that I'd be hard pressed to meet. But then, I've been plugging away at my HT addition for 18 months now.

Good luck

7. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Amateur.. [​IMG]

Kidding of course. I'm at 2 years 8 months myself and just this past weekend finished up the fabric install.

Two weeks is pretty ambitious, but I wish you the best!

8. Brian Osborne

It will be as elaborate at time and money will allow. Just have to get the projector so I can know where to run cables and such. Still on B/O, but they say any day now....

9. Brian Osborne

First chance I've had to post on this. Been kinda busy.

Day 6 and I'm ready for the rough in inspection. Building inspector is coming in the morning to look everything over. So far I've got the walls up in the whole basement and have all the wiring, audio and video cables installed. Everthing has been delivered and now I just need to get a few pieces of drywall up so I can check the size and placement of the projector and mount. The stage that the seats are going to be on should be completed this afternoon.

I have pictures but somehow in moving I've lost the usb cord for my camera. I'll update my gallery as soon as I can get pics uploaded.

Wish me luck!

10. Brian Osborne

Updated gallery with pics through thursday.
    City building inspector walked through and I'm good to finish it up. Just need to add an outlet on one wall, I guess you cannot be more than 6 ft away from a plug at any place in any finished room... Kind of a strange rule. but so is this one... (a new house in the city of Waukee, IA is not habitable until there is at least 2 trees located on the property whose diameter at the base is at least one inch.)
    Anyway, sheetrock will be moving in tomorow providing I can get some help moving it in.
    The floor is half done, have to wait to finish the other half until I get the sheetrock moved in. All walls are framed and all the wiring is done. Just have to test out all the outlets and switches tonight before I start to cover everything up.
    I test fitted the projector, put some large paper up for a temp screen to make sure of size of screen and get the projector mount put right where I want it... everything looks good so far.
    I went ahead and bought 4 Lutron IR dimmers for my 4 light banks, I think I will be glad I spent a little extra money to get IR so I can easily control them from my Harmony.
    Came as sort of a suprise to me, but you don't have to point at the projector to control it. The remote is IR, but I guess bouncing off the screen is enough, even when your screen is a piece of drawing paper.

I've got some long days of sheetrocking and mudding ahead of me, I'll post some more pics in a few days.

Here is a link to my gallery again...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=3979

11. Brian Osborne

Gallery updated again with some more pics. Sheetrock delivered tonight, hope to get a few peices hung before morning.

12. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

The last link doesn't work. I think you copied it in abbreviated form.

Theater is looking good! Still a lot of work ahead though.

David

13. Brian Osborne

fixed it, thanks
    I'm running out of days pretty fast here. Have about 1/3 of the drywall hung, should be mudding before the end of the week.
    Ah well, It'll be done by the first of the year... I think

14. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Sounds good, but I think the 2 weeks is going to be tough unless you have a crew of workers, and have experience. The biggest thing is to make sure you run enough power outlets and other cables. I'm still building mine and have been for about 5 months.

Good luck.

Don

15. Brian Osborne

Sorry to say, the 2 weeks is past. I didn't make it. I did however get to do a sound test today. I'm still waiting on my 35' HDMI cable, but I did test my DYI component cables, my speaker wire, and my shaker. Wow, if you have not had the pleasure of feeling one of these first hand, I highly reccomend you find someone who has one and give it a test run. I'm happy that I glued and screwed the stage together. Nearly rattled my teeth loose...
    Soon as I get that HDMI cable I can do some more of the sheetrocking.
    I'm shooting for mid January to have it complete. A little more realistic goal. Taking a week off the first week in January to work more on it. I'll post some more pics once the walls start to go up.