What's new

Complete Cowboy Bebop Movie DVD Specs (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

So for this particular film the voice cast was integral in influencing the animators. The animators and character designers would have worked some of the attributes of the actors into the characters. Since Akira was animated to the original V.A performances, replacing the OSL track with an English dub would be problematic at best. I don't care for the English dub of Akira; therefore, I do not watch Akira with the English dub track.

I don't care for most English dubs. COWBOY BEBOP is an exception. The voice actors do a better job in creating personalities for the main characters than the Japanese cast do. If you want to watch a lesser performance, in order to maintain a position on the "correct" way to watch anime, that is your right. I will watch the performance that I think better captures the personalities involved. In this rare case the English dub works better.

If someone feels that the English cast has done a good job and states that he/she would like to see interviews with the English cast, then I don't think someone should be posting telling him that such interviews are, essentially, useless wastes of disc space.

Edit: I keep screwing up on the damn HTML tags.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can't believe my earlier comment on wanting interviews with the English cast just exploded like this. I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a dub vs sub war.

For the record, I support having both the original Japanese track and the English dub together on DVD. Also, when it comes to anime, I almost always watch it in OSL. I admit that most English dubs are inferior to the Japanese (for example DragonBall Z dub is dreadful), but the English dub of Cowboy Bebop is by far the best English dub I've ever heard and IMO superior to the OSL.

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting for the CB Movie on DVD and will listen to the OSL track first, since I saw it theatricaly in English.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can't believe my earlier comment on wanting interviews with the English cast just exploded like this. I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a dub vs sub war.
Well, I can believe it, since anytime a dub is mentioned, people explode.

Kong, the person doing that custom coverart is Paul_Stach. The message with the art is here. I hope that he does go through and make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Richard... that was my bad. I didn't mean to start a sub/dub war, it just happens! :D

In the end, it seems that right/wrong is at the discretion of the viewer. ;)

PS: Down with dubs... up with subs!
... okay I'm done :D

Doug R

Supporting Actor
It doesn't "just happen," Rob. If you didn't feel the need to be the OSL police, it wouldn't happen. If you just let someone say they prefer a dub and not feel the need to slam them and virtually call them a disgrace to this forum (comparing OSL to OAR) then it wouldn't happen.

If you want to have a never-ending OSL debate, then start a thread. But stop hijacking other threads just to put people down. It's not "educating".

I would have stopped at my only post if didn't do the same thing again less than 10 posts later.

Oh well.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wow, Jeff destroying another thread because of OSL. What a surprise... :)

I just think it's funny how people think it is not okay to lose 40% of the picture and yet support losing 100% of the sound. That's all
Not really true, since usually the music and the sound effects are the same.

Some comments:

1 - For the most part, I think the dub for Cowboy Bebop is pretty darn good. (Except for Ed, and she doesn't translate that well..)

2 - Why the hell would the OSLers have a problem with a dub actors extra? No one is forcing you to watch it...

3 - There are some people out there that think Megumi Hayashibara was miscast as Faye. I don't agree with it, but they are out there.

4 - While releases come out with both languages, the OSLers should shut up. People are going to believe what they want to believe, and religious arguments shouldn't happen on this board.

5 - There are some releases where even the subs are wrong. (Crest of The Stars) What about those?

6 - I primarily watch shows in Japanese, tho there are times where I enjoy the English performances more. (El Hazard, Slayers: The Movie, Mononoke Hime)

That's all.

Jason

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If we're talking about the original intent, it would be easy to make an arguement that the director intended audiences to understand the dialogue. Think of it this way: Why is Cowboy Bebop in Japanese? Because it's made by Japanese-speaking people for an audience whose primary language is Japanese. For a US release, half this equation no longer applies.

As for acting, while human emotion is largely the same in any language, the nuances of speech are completely lost if you don't which word is which. If you can't tell where someone is pausing and what they're emphacizing, half the performance is lost. Obviously, a dub is only any good if it manages to convey this information.

Terry St

Second Unit
I think the strongest tensions in this thread are between the "OSL-Police" and the "pro-choice" faction. While many prefer OSL (myself included), they recognize the rights of others to choose, so long as the OSL is there as an option. I must disagree with those who wish to force their own viewing preferences on others. If somebody wanted to watch their DVD collection through a giant kaleidoscope with nothing but Michael Jackson music for audio I would respect their choice, although I would pray that, should they ever wind up in charge of a DVD publishing company, they respect my viewing choices as well!

For the record, I have also watched the Bebop TV series in both languages, and I must admit that the English dub shows genuine artistic merit that is uncharacteristic of English dubs, and even many original language tracks! (The Japanese is also well done, if a little generic.) While I am a bit ashamed to admit it, the final words of Spike will always be "Bang!" to me, not "Bohng!".

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
As for acting, while human emotion is largely the same in any language, the nuances of speech are completely lost if you don't which word is which. If you can't tell where someone is pausing and what they're emphacizing, half the performance is lost. Obviously, a dub is only any good if it manages to convey this information.
My feelings exactly. I find that, often, I might as well be listening to the TV muted for how much of the better 'acting' actually comes across over the language barrier. I have had quite a few years of Spanish, and I know that the sentence structure is often totally different. The emotion may come across better, but the emphasis (and sometimes tone) are lost or misunderstood.

Like Crest of the Stars dubbed - the way the Ahb speak, with a kind of aristocratic, confident arrogance; I would never have caught that nuance in Japanese, because I wouldn't be able to tell it from normal Japanese. Some of the secondary voice acting isn't that great, but there is a trade-off there that I think everyone has to decide for themselves.

For Cowboy Bebop's excellent dub, I definitely side in favor of the English. At least Anime DVDs aren't like the VHS, one or the other. We should all be thankful we have the choice.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like Crest of the Stars dubbed - the way the Ahb speak, with a kind of aristocratic, confident arrogance; I would never have caught that nuance in Japanese, because I wouldn't be able to tell it from normal Japanese
I learned to, so can you.

Nice features, I look forward to seeing Kawamoto-san's bits, he's a total hoot :) He showed me his pictures of the REAL Ein (his Welsh Corgi)

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
The only thing that really bothers me about dubs is that the production of them means that releases take 6-8 months longer to begin than if they only had to take the master and subtitle it... I guess that explains the popularity of the digi-subs.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Svenge,

That unfortunately is a fallacy. While yes, you can crank out a sub and get it done quickly, that's not how actual production goes (maybe Avatar will toss in his two cents here).

Since you automatically have a 3 month window for actually trying to get retailers to sell your product, let's figure:

1 month - translating
1/2 month - timing, retranslating, tweaking (add more for on screen text - quadruple if doing His & Hers or Excel Saga)
1 month - designing ad campaign, potential website, box artwork, setting up authoring schedule, packaging requirements, delivery

So on and so forth. And keep in mind that unlike a lot of digisubber groups, you're actually working on, say... 25 titles a month?

One thing that's generally not realized is that the time to sub and dub typically is about the same now, based on starting points. Both sides use the same initial translation. It's then tweaked to each sides strength - subs tend to go more literal, the dub script is worked to fit flap and the English language itself. Both processes typically run at the same time and, depending on the skill of the director, can complete around the same time.

Regardless, you wouldn't be having a company like Sony releasing anime at all these days if it had been for years and years of bad dubs getting better and having the market grow like it has due to video store level exposure as well as TV exposure.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Chris:

I'm just happy to see Sony getting into the anime business. At least whatever they purchase, they release. Unlike Disney that likes to sit on them for ages and pretend they never exist.

I hope to see more from Sony, putting out more Japanese movies. And if they Superbit them, even better. :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm just now going through the series and have watched the first twenty episodes so far. I'm wondering when in the timeline does the movie take place?

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks