Complete Cowboy Bebop Movie DVD Specs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony-B, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

DVDFile and AnimeOnDVD have posted the specs for the Cowboy Bebop movie. It doesn't sound as extensive as Metropolis was, but it will do. Of course, it is OAR and OSL. I look forward to getting this one. [​IMG]

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I appears to be in a keepcase too which means it will fit the spot left in the box set. [​IMG]

4. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Here's a list of the featurettes and their runtimes from the BBFC website:

00:05:41:05 | FEATURETTE #1 - FROM THE SMALL TO THE BIG SCREEN
    00:06:59:23 | FEATURETTE #2 - INTERNATIONAL APPEAL - WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?
    00:07:17:20 | FEATURETTE #3 - SPIKE - A COMPLEX SOUL
    00:06:35:11 | FEATURETTE #4 - FAYE - INTELLECTUAL VIXEN
    00:06:46:02 | FEATURETTE #5 - ED - RESIDENT ECCENTRIC
    00:05:01:02 | FEATURETTE #6 - JET - NO ORDINARY DAD

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I hope they include interviews from the English voice actors, as the current Cowboy Bebop series DVDs only have interviews with the Japanese voice actors.

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The interviews with the English voice actors could be titled "Why we suck" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I kid! I kid! [​IMG]

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Very insightful criticism.
    Not only do you insult the voice actors who did quite a good job on the "Cowboy Bebop" series; you also insult people involved with the Special Olympics, by insinuating that what they are involved in is second-rate.
    Good job. [​IMG]

12. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

Girls! Girls! You're both pretty. Now lets stop fighting a debate so well-trodden already.

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

And your meaning is....?

14. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

Nothing too secretive, just that the sub vs dub debate has probably gone on since primitive man first drew scantily clad large-eyed teenage girls on cave walls*. Nobody's likely to change anybody's mind on this board about this issue, so why bother taking indirect snipes at one another or the people who put so much time and effort into these productions?

*Please note that I am not implying that all or even most anime is about scantily-clad large-eyed teenage girls. But it's much more fun to pretend so for this particular hyperbole

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The problem here is that an individual made a post that stated he would like to see an interview with the English cast put on to the DVD release. The next thing that happens is a succession of posts from what amounts to lingual bigots (I don't know what other word to use) tearing into the idea. Had the comments had any objectivity to them then they might have had some worth. As they stand, they are worthless.

J. Kleist hates dubs. In his mind there is no dub that is any good. It is completely impossible for him to post any objective opinion on an English dub. Anyone who posts anything that puts a positive spin on an English dub is suddenly somebody who needs to be corrected.

I prefer to listen to the original language track when watching a foreign film, but I have also listened to English dubs. I have heard plenty of bad English dubs and Cowboy BeBop is not one of them. The English dub for the TV series was some of the best dub work I have heard on a Japanese production. The voices were natural. The delivery was not stilted, which is one of the main failings of English dub work on Japanese anime. In many ways the English voice actors created characters that fit more with the visual atmosphere of the COWBOY BEBOP series, than the original Japanese actors did. It is probably the only show where I actually prefer the English voice work to the original Japanese. The English V.As did a professional job on this series, whether Mr. Kleist likes it or not.

16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

From the Cowboy Bebop eps I have seen, I felt the English dubbing was very good. And I would like to see material related to it as well.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Edwin fine. Then Pan & Scan is OK too?

OSL is OSL, OAR is OAR. You can't be against one and not the other. That's hypocrisy. When reviewing AniMatrix, which track did I review? English. Which track I did I not bother with? Japanese. English is the OSL, so that's what is reviewed. Calling me a "language bigot" is ludicrous, and nothing is farther from the truth. If the programs were created in Swahili, I would listen to them in Swahili,

Characters, situations and scripts are specifically written around the original actors and their specific strengths. It is AS PERSONAL as a live action film, especially in a production like Bebop.

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I feel that the superior Japanese voice acting is lost on me since I cannot understand a word of it. P&S chops from widescreen are not needed to understand the video, in fact, it detracts from the experience. That's different than translating from a language that you can't understand. I feel that emotional nuance does not really come through as superior when the spoken language has vastly different sentence structure/order and is not understood.

I wasn't aware that this was a specifically pro-OSL forum. Until that happens, everyone's opinion should be respected. I would like to hear some input from the English voice actors, as many others would also like to. This is AS LONG as it also includes the original Japanese voice actors.

On a side note, I hated some of the special features on Spirited Away. The Disney guys made it sound like they created the thing instead of Studio Ghibli.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'd be interested in interviews with both the OSL and English dub actors. One of those groups has to create the characters, while the other has to try to maintain those characters in another language. Both groups did a great job.

And while OSL is very important to maintain in a foreign film, that doesn't necessarily mean it's high quality. It's not like OSL is infallable.

20. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Speaking of creator's intent, in interviews, Shinichiro Watanabe (the series' director) has stated that he was greatly influenced by American action and gangster films, and this shows in Cowboy Bebop, which has a more "American" sensibility than any anime I've seen. It could be argued that an English OSL actually enhances the director's intent more than the Japanese. That's not to take away from the incredible talent and hard work that the English and Japanese voice actors gave to the project.