What's new

Complete Apple Fall event discussion, Give us a hint, Siri (iPad Pro, new Apple TV, 6S) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get that mentality. Until I switched to Apple Macs in 2006 (when the switchover to Intel happened) I was a guy who built his own PCs and swore I'd never get into the trapped architecture of Apple. But at some point Apple, for me, hit the sweet spot of compelling hardware and software function and integration, and thus made me willing to give up that autonomy that PC builders craved and convinced me to switch over. I haven't looked back since. It also helps that the only gaming I do now is on consoles and not PC gaming, so for what I do - photography, music creation and recording, etc. - Apple is not only as good as its Windows counterparts, but in many ways better.

But I'm not surprised that some diehard techies prefer Windows phones. Just like I have some techies at work who buy awesome Mac hardware to run Linux on.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just finished watching the event. I knew the "no iPad" camp was wrong when the first thing out of Tim Cook's mouth was (paraphrasing) "No updates today, we've got new announcements across several product lines." The order of presentation was interesting - especially leaving the iPhone to last. You would normally expect them to lead with that.

I'm going to order the new Apple TV as soon as I can; looks like they've made the updates they needed to to get competitive in the space again. One minor disappointment is them dropping the optical audio port, which I use on a couple of my current Apple TVs. The best part of the whole presentation was the "what did she say?" feature; I can't tell you how many times we've uttered that phrase while watching some show, and then I fumble for the remote to try to pause, rewind, and then have to remember how to turn on subtitles because so many of today's shows mix the dialog too low under the music. Siri-izing that whole mess is brilliant.

Was really impressed with the iPad Pro, although I don't have a personal need for it. It's not really fair to compare the Surface Pro to the iPad as the Surface is a true hybrid (for the record, I own a Surface Pro and I think it's a really nice piece of hardware), but that will happen. I will say for those mainly interested in the drawing features of both devices the iPad Pro, though only a couple of tenths of an ounce ligher than the SP3, will be more comfortable to hold over long periods of time simply because its squarer shape is easier to balance.

I may go ahead and upgrade my 64GB iPad Mini 2 to a 128 GB 4, as I'm running low on space on the former.

I bought the iPhone 6+ last year, so this is my off year as far as the phone is concerned. Nice, if not world-shattering, updates. Apple had got some pre-event flack about only showing contract prices; so I'm glad they acknowledged the shift to installment plans. Notice they still didn't show the prices to buy an unlocked phone outright.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Alf S said:
I'm not a fan of the Windows phone world, just not enough support/apps etc to really be a contender at this point. I tried to use one since I have all Windows stuff at home/work, but it was just missing way too many apps etc to be much use for me.

But two of our IT guys are diehard users of the upper end models of the Windows phones and swear by them. They will never switch they say. So yeah, there are a few folks using them, but the numbers are very few.

I work in IT for a major US retail chain, and we get to choose which phone we want. It's pretty much split down the middle between iOS & Android. I don't know a single Windows phone user, even through we're primarily a Windows shop.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Carlo Medina said:
I get that mentality. Until I switched to Apple Macs in 2006 (when the switchover to Intel happened) I was a guy who built his own PCs and swore I'd never get into the trapped architecture of Apple. But at some point Apple, for me, hit the sweet spot of compelling hardware and software function and integration, and thus made me willing to give up that autonomy that PC builders craved and convinced me to switch over. I haven't looked back since. It also helps that the only gaming I do now is on consoles and not PC gaming, so for what I do - photography, music creation and recording, etc. - Apple is not only as good as its Windows counterparts, but in many ways better.

But I'm not surprised that some diehard techies prefer Windows phones. Just like I have some techies at work who buy awesome Mac hardware to run Linux on.
I visited my sister this past weekend and she said how frustrated she was with her laptop and hoped I could help. I forgot that for Xmas a couple years back mom bought her a Mac (sis thought it would be better since they are all Apple phone people).

She now says she can't stand using it. Says it's so complicated and not user friendly it drives he nuts to use. At one point we were trying to work on some phot stuff and it would never work right and she said she literally wanted to throw the machine off a building. LOL.

I tried using it and I have to agree, they seem to make the whole software experience different just for the sake of being "different" Really, the minimize/close button really needed to be on the left side of every screen? Silly stuff like that is very annoying, expecially when in the real world, most folks us MS Windows daily at work etc.

I too got fed up trying to decipher the whole cartoony mess it uses and told her to find an Apple store and maybe get some training. She said she may because she can't stand fighting the silly thing.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Sam Posten said:
Future of tv is apps
I was talking with a friend the other day, he has a Roku. He uses Hulu and Netflex streaming. The problem I see with an app based system is no unified "playlist". If I want to watch something, I have to jump into the appropriate app (all with a different UI), go to my playlist/que for that service or search for something, then hit play.

What we really need is an interface where all the subscribed services are available in a single UI of some sort. I should be able to have a playlist that contains items from Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Youtube, etc., and it shouldn't require me to go into a service's "app" to play the content.

Unfortunately all we saw today from Apple are pretty standard updates. Faster CPUs and GPUs that allow some neat features tobe sure but certainly nothing game changing.

Add to that Apple's quest to increase their margins by equipping their devices in such a way that many people feel the need to buy the more expensive model...I don't know, I am just not sure I can comfortably recommend their products any more.

As a business though, I have a lot respect for them. Stock holders should be pleased.

-Keith

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Alf S said:

Oh brother...

The woman in the demo is a MODEL! Models are paid (often quite well) to wear clothes, pose, and make facial expressions as directed by their employers. This demo is no different from the creative director of a photo shoot telling her photographer to get a few different expressions in a certain pose so they have more choice later. Just another trumped-up controversy that sites like The Verge thrive on.

Now, if this had been a news photo they'd have a point...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Keith Plucker said:

What we really need is an interface where all the subscribed services are available in a single UI of some sort. I should be able to have a playlist that contains items from Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Youtube, etc., and it shouldn't require me to go into a service's "app" to play the content.

Unfortunately all we saw today from Apple are pretty standard updates. Faster CPUs and GPUs that allow some neat features tobe sure but certainly nothing game changing.

-Keith

Uh, did you miss the part where they stated the Siri interface would work across iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO & Showtime in a unified search?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Keith Plucker said:
I was talking with a friend the other day, he has a Roku. He uses Hulu and Netflex streaming. The problem I see with an app based system is no unified "playlist". If I want to watch something, I have to jump into the appropriate app (all with a different UI), go to my playlist/que for that service or search for something, then hit play.

Add to that Apple's quest to increase their margins by equipping their devices in such a way that many people feel the need to buy the more expensive model...I don't know, I am just not sure I can comfortably recommend their products any more.

As a business though, I have a lot respect for them. Stock holders should be pleased.

-Keith
Doesn't seem to be the case based on several recent financial reports.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Updated the thread title to reflect we are now post event. Personally I like having one thread for rumors, event discussion, and post event back and forth, but that's just me =)

iPad Pro: Probably will get one, for $1500 after accessories tho I am going to have to seriously consider a Razer gaming laptop in its place tho and sticking with iPad Air 2 for another year. Will be a tough call.
iPad Mini: I 'owe' one to my neice. She is going to be stoked. Gotta spend the $100 to make sure she doesn't get hosed on low capacity.
iPhones: Meh. Seems like the most minor of S updates to me.
Apple TV: told ya it wasn't going to be a gaming 'powerhouse'. No real controllers and 64GB max size with no hard disk means it will be the worlds best casual gaming device. Meh on that, but count me in for the rest of what it offers.

Apple today did NOT change the face of TV in my mind. There is nothing mind blowing here and cable boxes can sigh in relief, they are here to stay for a very long time still.

Finally, I have one MAJOR request of all of you: Please, if you or a friend/family member is considering the new iPhone 6s or getting the 6 on 'bargain' pricing do NOT cheap out and buy the 16gb version. It is horribly shitty of Apple to still be selling 16Gb phones. Spend the $100 and get a lot more usable storage (4x the amount in fact). You CAN NOT make up for a loss of on board storage by planning on moving your content to iCloud or other net based services.

Also, you might as well spend the extra $100 up front and get the new phone anyway. EITHER version is going to cost you over $2400 over the life of the phone, is it reaaallly worth saving $100 to get a phone that is going to be obsolete one year earlier?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Craig S said:
Uh, did you miss the part where they stated the Siri interface would work across iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO & Showtime in a unified search?
Nope. A unified search is nice but it isn't a close replacement for having a unified que/playlist.

If I watch Game of Thrones (HBO), House of Cards (Netflix), and Ray Donovan (Showtime). I want a single que that shows the latest episodes of each available. I want to hit "play" and have it play the latest episode from that que without going into a specific app.

To be fair, this is something the media companies may simply not allow. Apple (and others) may want to do such a thing but can't.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, they were very specific in noting their unified search partners were just the start and they would add more 'soon'.

Amazon, Google, UV/Vudu, Microsoft and Sony all probably want in at a minimum.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm still running (barely) an iPhone 4, so maybe it's time to finally upgrade. My wife and son have tied up Verizon upgrades from now until the end of time with their Android stuff, so I may go for Apple's "new every year" installment deal.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh, WRT the stylus on the Pro: It's not a dumb stylus, it's a full digitizer with 2 way communications and (allegedly) very low latency. This is like comparing a crayon and a wacom tablet.

I am all for full digitized pens as ACCESSORIES, and that is what this pen is, not a primary mode of input but a secondary and advanced tool.

100% all for it. All your "they blew it" comments are teh dum.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Apple today did NOT change the face of TV in my mind. There is nothing mind blowing here and cable boxes can sigh in relief, they are here to stay for a very long time still.
There is only one true future of TV and no one will give it to us, likely in our lifetime. Why? Because it's not cost-feasible [read: profitable] to do so.

IMO, the true future of TV is true a la carte channel selection, shows on demand, with no ability of the provider to pull content. That's why I buy blu-rays. Because no one can ever decide that I can't watch that thing I bought (unlike say when Hulu, Netflix, etc. lose rights to movies). And also why, even though I watch maybe 20 channels of the 1000 available to me (and for which I pay an exorbitant sum), I can't ever get rid of cable because my favorite sports teams (UCLA football, L.A. Dodgers baseball) are only available through Time Warner Cable, in their upper pay tiers. No amount of Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, On Demand, iTunes, etc. that I purchase will show those two things.

My "gamechanger" TV service would be:

Let me choose and pay for the channels I want. There'd be like 20. Including the sports teams I follow, and local channels.

Let me on-demand in the highest def possible at the time (1080p now, 4k in the future) any title available for a price, rental and ownership model possible).

DVR, Start Over, etc.

All of this accessible also through my apps/mobile devices.

Again, it's not cost-feasible for companies to do this, so we won't ever get it. All Apple can do is try to work around the Frankenstein TV service world we live in and put as nice a wrapper on it as possible.

Cable companies are fighting back against on-demand, dish and streaming services. That's why Time Warner bought exclusive rights to the Dodgers. That's why major college conferences like the Pac 12 channel are signed to exclusive deals with cable. They know what a lot of Americans want, they know they can't/won't provide it, and neither can dish or online services. So they try to sign as many exclusive deals as possible to trap as many customers as possible. And money talks. When TWC came with the big $$$ to the Dodgers and the P12, they signed on. Ironic since the result is. I think, that more than half of Los Angeles households can't currently watch the Dodgers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What's sad is that Apple is continuing to cap their mobile and tablet device memories at 128GBs. This, despite the fact that all the power they're giving developers, along with the higher MP cameras and 4K videos, are going to make 128GBs seem very limited in short order. I was really ready to spend major $$$ for a 256GB iPad Pro. Other tablets are already giving us that amount. So for now, 128GB = no purchase for me, as I have already had to make tough decisions as to what to not include on my iPhone 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks