What's new

Compenent and Progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I've got a simple question. It's fairly easy, and I THINK I know the answer. But I just want to make sure...

Just because my TV (Sony KP-43T75) has component inputs, that doesn't necessarily mean it can handle a 480p signal, right?

What would happen if I give it a progressive signal? Blue screen?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Component and 480p are independent of one another. So yes, even though your TV has component input, doesn't mean it can sync to 480p.

If you connect and your TV doesn't do 480p, you'll probably get noise and flicker-- and if your TV has a blue screen feature to cover static or unsync image- well you'll get a blue screen.

-V

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd definitly use component vs composite for the input for your tv cause I think the difference is immense. Colors are more brilliant and images are crisper.

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Okay let me get this straight...
Lets say for example I have a video game system or dvd player that supports progressive... What I want to know is will I get the progressive picture on a progressive TV if I use a composite connection???
What about if I use a s-video connection???
Or do I have to have a component connection???
If yes on the last question, then why in layman's terms???
Whew!!! :)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
It may depend on the player, but why mess around when Component is the ideal?

Panasonic DVD RP-56 (Manual p.6) Panny doesn't configure the player to use anything but component cables in progressive.

To enjoy progressive video

1. Connect to the component video (480p) input terminals on a television compatible with this unit's copy guard system.

2. Press the Progressive Out button on the front panel...

and, This unit does not output video signals from the VIDEO OUT and S-Video OUT terminals when the Progressive Out indicator is on.
Are you still wanting a Yes/No answer? Component also is superior to S-Video in interlaced mode, according to Panasonic

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks