1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Compatible Notebook Memory

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I just recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite M40-JS8 notebook computer, and have been looking into upgrading the internal memory. I have read through the manual, and have found instructions on how this can be done. The manual, however says that only memory modules with the following part numbers can be used: PA3311U-1M25, PA3312U-1M51, and PA3313U-1M1G.

My question is: do I need to use Toshiba speified parts with these model numbers, or can I just buy some RAM from this website (there's a store for this place near my house), and if so, which speed of RAM should I be buying?

Thanks.

2. James_S

James_S Second Unit

I have never had a problem using "non" specified memory, I have ordered off of crucial.com and have bought several pieces of ram off of ebay, all with no problem.

Also depending what you are using your laptop for, yours can handle up to 2 gigs of ram.

Speed: PC2700

crucial.com toshiba link

Hope it helps

3. Mark Shannon

Thank 's a bunch James. That actualy does help alot.

One more question that I forgot to ask: I already have a stick of 512 in there already, can I place a 1024mb stick in there as well, or do they need to both be of equal values?

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

With desktops it's perfectly acceptable to use different-size memory modules -- I had a 128 and a 256 in for a long time without any problem -- although performance may be somewhat better if the two are identical. I don't think that notebook memory controllers are so radically different that it would be a problem.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Nah, even dual channel chipsets are fine with mismatched memory sticks; it's really only human desire for symmetry that makes us want matched sets. You should be good to go on getting a 1gig stick.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

It has been many years since systems required matched memory. Some systems do require that the higher capacity chip be in a specific slot in mixed-density systems. So rather than just dropping the 1024 into the empty slot you may have to remove the 512 first and put the new chip in the first slot and the old one in the second.

Crucial, Kingston and several retailers have utilities on their websites that will let you enter your laptop's make and model and find compatible memory. (That's how I found the proper memory to upgrade my Dell laptop to what turned out to be its max - 1 GB. I ended up picking up the memory at my local CompUSA for a lot less than Dell wanted on their site.)

Regards,

Joe

7. Mark Shannon

Thanks guys. Your advice will come in handy.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have used Crucial several times for memory sticks with no problem and very fast service.