Comparisons of X-Box and PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Does anyone know where I can find good comparisons of these two consoles? Basically what I'm looking for are good "console war" articles. Also, please give me your opinions on which is the better console. I really want to purchase a new gaming system, but I'm extremely apprehensive about dropping $300+ on something that may not be of any use to me in a couple of years. I'm really looking for any information: pros, cons, personal opinions, software comparisons, etc. Please help me make up my mind...I can't seem to do it on my own. [​IMG] Thanks for any help!!!
    Rob

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Since only half of your question has been answered, I have listed a couple of links below that provide an excellent description of the hardware for each console. I do not adhere to the one size fits all response of “It’s all about the games”. To me, it is “all about the entertainment experience”, which includes other things besides the game such as audio quality (DD-5.1 or pro logic), video quality (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), on line gaming capability (ethernet/broadband support), storage (hard drive or memory cartridge), DVD/CD playback, etc..
    Article #1
    Article #2

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Steve,

What Camp means is that all the hardware in the world will not do you a bit of good if the software is not up to par. However, great software will more than make up for lesser equipment (ref: Playstation, Playstation2).

In the end, it most certainly is all about the games.

5. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Those articles linked to may be more technical than you're looking for. Unfortunately the more general "console war" comparisons in videogame magazines or mainstream websites tend to be filled with inaccuracies and misrepresentations (more often than not due to the writers relying on technical information for all three consoles provided by MS PR).

But these guys are right. It's basically a matter of what games you want to play. Dying to play Halo? Go with an Xbox. Jonesin' to play Metal Gear Solid 2? Go for a PS2. Do you worship the work of Myamoto? Get the Gamecude so you won't miss Zelda and Mario. Do you love sports games? Really can't go wrong with either the Xbox of PS2. Comes down to what other games you might want to play. Do you like more PC style games? Xbox is probably up your alley. Do you like console RPGs or Fighting games? Look towards the PS2 which'll have Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Virtua Fighter 4 and Tekken 4.

In an absolutely general sense I'd say the PS2 is the safest bet for now. It has the largest library of games and a huge head start for installed base. Even if it doesn't "win" overall it is pretty much guranteed to be a success.

6. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Rob,
    I had the same problem. I just couldn't decide between the two (XB/PS2). While I like all the PS2 titles, the future for XB just looks so damn good. I also like the huge storage on the box (no memory card) and being able to rip my own soundtracks. I may be completely wrong but I have a feeling that all (a lot of) the PS2 title's I like, may show up on the box.[​IMG]
    I decided to buy both....just NOT AT THE SAME TIME.
    What I mean is this.
    I found an X-Box and bought it, KNOWING that it is going to keep me entertained for a long time. In a week/a month/six months/a year, I can always buy a used PS2 or maybe even a new one if they drop the price....I can wait.
    Buy the Box and promise yourself a PS2 somewhere down the road.
    Hope this helps

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

That is true, Brian, but I think it's already being demonstrated that the Xbox will certainly have some pretty good games for it. And if the same game comes out for both platforms, then hardware capabilities DOES play a big part in the gaming experience.

Look at Max Payne. Gamespot reviewed both the PS2 and Xbox versions, and clearly they prefer the Xbox version (Xbox got a 9.2, PS2 got an 8.0). Some excerpts from the PS2 review:

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I'm sorry Brian, I misinterpreted your post. I guess I'm a little paranoid after reading all the vitriol against the Xbox on other message boards!

You're absolutely right, you insinuated no such thing, and I agree with your point. I liken it to DVD-Audio. I love the way it sounds when it's done right, but the fanciest DVD-Audio player in the world is not much good if there are no titles for it. And if the titles that are out there are crummy, then the hardware doesn't matter in the least.

I'll try to be less jumpy, okay? :b

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Steve's response is far from nonsense. It is very responsible, in my opinion. Steve did not say that it's not about the games. He suggested that there are additional factors that should be considered with the game.

-Dave

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but you're all forgetting about the third player. Since this thread is about the PS2 and XB, though, I will forget about Nintendo for now.

The PS2 has a large library of PSX games and its PS2 games have hit their prime. Such titles as Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Grand Theft Auto 3 are just some of the big titles. It has many great games out from earlier this year that are cheap, too.

The X-Box is the most powerful console and has the capabilities to deliver the best experience. Games like Halo demonstrate this quite well, with 5.1 and progressive video blasting at your face with immensely detailed levels and graphics bombarding you, along with the great AI that is packed into this game. The one downside to the X-Box is the lack of games because of how new it is. Then again, some games have been called so great that they can sell an X-Box by themselves.

So it really does come down to the software. The PS2 has more and has some great ones, the X-Box has some greats but not many. If it was quality, I would give it to the PS2 because of a convergence of quality and quantity (a bunch of great games), but the X-Box is going to be equal to the PS2 in a relatively short time period, especially because of Sega. So if you buy an X-Box, it might not provide as much instant satisfaction as a PS2, but its more of an investment that will pay off with great rewards within the next 6 months.

So they are both equal in their own respects. The deciding factor should be which games you like better for each console. That requires some research.

Sorry to rant...

14. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    (Shields self from potential impending vitriolic firestorm)
    Robert's original query:

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Joseph -

I no one has said that games are not the primary consideration. It was suggested (and I agree) that there are other aspects to consider as well.

Example: Let's say there is a really cool FPS called "Super Bob", and it is available on every console. One console offers Super Bob in 480i, Dolby Surround, and bots for multiplayer. Another console offers Super Bob in 480p, DD 5.1, and online multiplayer. Which would you choose?

Developer support is also important. If I loved Square games above everything else, I certainly wouldn't choose an XBOX.

If you are buying only one console, ignoring either of these aspects would be a bad idea. The more information you have to make a decision with, the better off you will be.

-Dave

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Dave F -
    Well spoken. Those are all excellent points. [​IMG]
    If a major consideration in the choice of a console were the cross-comparison factors of a single game then it would be a simpler process indeed.
    When I am looking for a console that will make use of the HT components I have acquired, then the system that provides the best HT experience will probably end up winning.
    If my criteria as a console buyer is to look for a system with the games that interest me the most, then I may end up with the system that gets the short end of the stick on some of its games (such as Max Payne did on PS2). You are right in that there are a lot of factors, so even if I want muliplayer and 480i for my games, I may end up opting for the console with the inferior version of BLOB based on all the considerations at my disposal.
    I'll admit that criteria is subjective -- some people judge games' merits for whether they support certain audio and video formats. Some people just want platformers. For some of us, 'best' = the most titles available. I get a lot of pleasure out of revisiting old PSX titles on my PS2, since I never owned a PS1 and missed that whole period in gaming.
    If I could find or afford an Xbox I would be sorely tempted since I have a television and receiver that would simply fit it like a glove. [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Joseph

17. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

18. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I just went through this decision recently with my two boys (12 and 14) when deciding between the Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. We ended up choosing the Xbox because of the superior capabilities and built in hardware. Halo, DOA3 and Project Gotham Racing were the games that sold us. Halo is an amazingily unique experience IMO! Playing PGR with its excellent graphics, 5.1 sound and ability to record your own music from CDs to listen to "in the car" really makes a difference.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Just cuz the X-Box has a lot of games out/coming out doesn't mean they will be good. If this was true, then you would have bought a PS2 cuz it has TONS of games.

20. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Morgan,