comparison of paradigm monitor and studio line?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Paradigm monitor and studio lines of speakers? I'm going to try to get to the store to listen to them myself, but im curious as how people feel the they compare with each other. Is there a huge difference or just a minor improvement with a similar sound? I currently have monitor 3's and will be upgrading to studio 40's.

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The difference is definitely there, but I guess it also depends on your setup - no point pairing up studio speakers with inferior electronics.

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

i currently have a denon 3801 and a sony ca70es cd player, along with an SVS 20-39. probably will be adding seperate amplification in the future.

4. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

there is a difference in performace between the two. the studios in my opinion is much smoother especially the high freq. where the monitors tend to be harsh. on my listening session, the difference in not that big using receivers to drive the speakers but the gap increases in using higher quality amplification.

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I think you will notice a significant difference even using that mid-level receiver you've got. I haven't demoed them against each other with high quality separates, but I can well imagine that the gap would widen there. But the gap is wide even with the receiver I have, which is a notch down from yours. The highs are less aggressive on the Reference line without sacrificing any definition, the midrange is just a tad more natural, and base response is slightly superior on equivalent sizes, e.g. if you compare say Studio 20's to Mini-Monitors, or Studio 100's to Monitor 11's. I don't think I have a particularly sensitive ear, but I enjoy lisening to the Reference line quite a bit more. As always, YMMV.

6. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

im glad to hear that , because the one thing i find that i dont like about my monitor 3's is the harshness of the high's. I was hoping the studio's would sound a bit smoother and it seems like they do.

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

There's no comparison. Differences in clarity is so easily heard that pretty much anyone can hear the differences. There's just refinement in the studio line that the monitor line doesn't have. The Monitors will give you big sounding speakers but they don't give you too much refinement nor musicality in comparison to the Studios.