What's new

Comparison between JBL S-series and S-II Series? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking at a pair of JBL S-38s to replace my current S-26s (and move the 26s to the back, to complete my 7.1 setup ;) )
My question is - how do the S series hold up to the S-II series? The S-38-IIs are a bit cheaper, from what I've seen, and the S series are getting harder to find. I know the S-IIs have a re-engineered port, and a protective plastic over the tweeter.
Has anyone done a side-by-side A-B comparison? I can't find any local retailers that have both models.

Never mind - I found a few similar subjects in the archives (about 6-7 pages in).
Looks like most people who've done an A-B prefer the S-38s over the S-IIs. Looks like that'll be the one for me. :)
Of course, comments are still appreciated.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
From what I've heard (and Phil has mentioned.. a JBL expert), the S and SII series are sonically identicaly. The II's feature design differences because of lawsuit reasons, or what have you.
From that, I guess the only difference should be price and styling.
.. whichever flies best with you. :)
BTW, how do you like the S26's for mains? I have S26II's in a rather small setup (small room) powered by a Denon 1802 and think they sound wonderful.. especially for my first HT.

Well, it's moot now - I just ordered the old-school S-38s from dynadirect. They're the only JBL-authorized e-tailer I could find with them in stock, so I had to bite. I like it when my decisions are made for me. :)
BTW, how do you like the S26's for mains? I have S26II's in a rather small setup (small room) powered by a Denon 1802 and think they sound wonderful.. especially for my first HT.
Yeah, Phil helped me out last March when I was shopping around (Thanks again, Phil!!) I have S-center, 4 S-26s and an SVS 25-31PCi powered by a Denon 3802, also in a pretty small room. I was very pleased with the way they sounded in the past (and I still am), but I was amazed at how much a subwoofer added to the equation. I'm very happy with the S-26s. How long have you had them for?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I've had mine for only a couple months, now. A PB10 is anchoring the setup, and I also think it is holding it back. While the LFE is nice and loud in such a small setting, I think there's a lot to be desired. SVS's smallest sub would probably do the job wonderfully. I'll look into that some time next year.

I tell ya. For such an entry level speaker (as many note them here on this forum), they provide astounding sound. I have yet to get an Avia disc and an SPL meter. Aside from wedging my center speaker to angle it toward the viewing area, my HT really is complete.. finally!

Tweaking is all it needs, now.

My favorite demo so far... the opening scene to Swordfish. If you haven't seen that yet, check it out. Amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks