What's new

Comparing two sets impossible? (1 Viewer)

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
There have been two reviews in different magazines lately on the Panasonic 47" and Mitsubishi 46" widescreens (16x9). Both reviews were positive but of course they pointed out that the sets are WAY out of adjustment as recieved by the dealers. There seems to be a consensus in the industry to misadjust sets so the public cannot tell how good they really are (sarcasm off).
So how is a person to decide between these two comparably priced sets when there are no direct comparison reviews and there certainly are no dealers with the two sets that have set them up correctly?
Obviously I want one of these and am at a loss to choose. This is a bigger question however and I would appreciate any hints from those that have tried to do a fair comparison of new sets.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Its damn near impossible. But the best way is to go to several places, don't base your opinion on the way one TV looked in one store compared to others.
Take a good DVD that you know very well and use that as the basis for reviewing each set. Calibrate each set best you can to reduce contrast, sharpness to similar levels. Then compare and take an average over several stores. For instance, if the Pioneer looked best at three of four stores, while none of the others looked consistently better, that would be your basis. That was my own finding by the way. But invariably something gets left out and there are TV's you cant compare because the stores do not carry every line you want to compare.
They all look pretty good with HDTV. The one that stood out, surprisingly, was an RCA 61" set with built-in HDTV receiver. RCA has a new Scenium line coming out by the way which is supposedly really, really awesome.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Local stores do not offer that possibility. Most sets are driven with the same signal from one DVD or other source. I guess that means a comparison of video quality is not practical.
That leaves features and price. Since the price of those two is similar, what advantage is having more "video modes" on the Mits (for example)? Or does the Panasonic better accept progressive scan from Panasonic DVDs (for example)?
Anybody have strong opinions on these two sets?
The Mits is smaller and fits a cabinet easier but costs $200 more. That's all I seem see right now.
Do I flip a coin?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd just search forums like this and others and see what people say. Especially those that do ISF calibrating. I asked my ISF'er (last week) what he would recommend I buy if I could do it all over again and had a budget of $2000. He recommended the PT-47 (which is what I did buy) and barring that, spend a few hundred more on the Tosh 50H80. He said he doesn't recommend the Mits' sets because they have issues that can't be addressed by ISF calibration or service menu adjustment (read HTSpot about the new lockout of values in Mits sets).
I don't want to put his name on record, since we spoke "off the record", but let's just say he's a trusted ISF'er around here and other forums.
So if your budget is a tight $2K, go with the Panny. If you can spend a little more, go with the Tosh 50H80. Regardless you should have either set calibrated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Unfortunately you do not live in Calgary ... I would have told you to go to some of the local shops where you would actually see calibrated sets on display. Each and every one too.
Sigh ... :)
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshibas I found are the 50HX81 ($3200) and 50H81 ($3000). Other than larger, are they that much better?
By the way, what does a typical ISF visit cost?
The Mits people at HTSpot are pretty happy with their sets but it seems many are not doing ISF. Perhaps a pertinent question is "how do the sets compare if you only do AVIA adjustments, rather than ISF."

Brian_J

Second Unit
Take a grand off of each of those prices my friend. By the way, Best Buy runs a regular satellite loop in addition to their HDTV loop. All you have to do is channel up on the inputs to get to it.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Yes ... back from LA. Off to Denver next ... grrr.
No time to enjoy my own stuff ...
frown.gif

REgards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
[Edited last by Michael TLV on October 26, 2001 at 08:33 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks