What's new

Comparing the Mits 65857 to the Toshiba 65H80 (1 Viewer)

Ryan_McVeigh

Auditioning
Hi there. I've been lurking (read only, no posts) for a few months and I'm about to make a few purchases to build my HT. I've demo'd a lot of equipment now, and I'm still waffling between these two excellent sets. I've read all about the "Red Push" issue of the Mitsubishi, but from what I've seen in the store that's just not an issue. The screens are exceptionally clear and crisp. The Toshiba that I saw in the store had not been tuned and was horrible. A friend owns the 56H80 and is thrilled with it - and I agree its a fantastic picture.
So I'm looking for some more opinions on the subject before finalizing my plans. I expect to purchase in the next week or two. The HT will be in the living room of my house (only choice) so I realize I'll have light issues, but I can get some blackout shades for sure.
Thanks for the help and advice.
-Ryan

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to learn here!!! Unfortunitely, though, it won't be from me. My HT room will be ready in about a week and a half and I still don't have a TV. My dealer has the 65H80 and the 65807 side by side. The Toshiba is $100 less. I have been looking at the Mits for several months and have just recently started considering the Toshiba. I have to decide soon. Let's see what these guys tell you.
Joe

Ryan_McVeigh

Auditioning
I'm seeing the Toshiba for $3500 and the Mitsubishi for $3900. I'm sure I can talk both dealers down, but I think that difference is pretty negligible. Having said that, I really believe that its going to end up being a matter of personal preference. In other words, I suspect there is no clear cut "winner" between these two sets.
-Ryan

Keith Thomas

Auditioning
I was had this same problem last november with Tosh vs Mits 65857. But the VAST amout of info and good things said about the 65857 over at http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ made me chose it. if you go with the mits you will be able to get TONS of info from there for your mits to tweak the hell out of it. they are the MITS kings of the inet.
Keith

Curt Jett

Agent
I agree, I bought the 65907 back in Jan and the only regret I have is that I didn't have the cash for the 73907.
------------------

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
On a smaller scale, I was tossed between the 40H80 and the 46807. After a lot of questions and research I went with the 46807.
One of the main reasons was size. I wanted the biggest picture my small HT room could take. I asked a lot of questions and did quite a lot of searching over at the HomeTheaterSPot and I noticed quite a few more complaint threads in the Toshiba area v.r the Mits area and that kinda turned me off. Yet another reason for going Mits.
They both are very nice sets and when tweaked produce an awesome picture. The red-push on the Mits is a $12.00 fix (parts from Radio Shack) and you will need it. I did not think I needed it, then I got it home. Went out and got the parts asap.
The Mits produced a very nice picture out of the box, but after installing the red-push attenuator and calibrating with AVIA, the picture is stunning. I am very happy with this TV. I have had it 3 weeks now.
I am sure you will be very happy with what ever make you go with. Good Luck!
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

Ryan_McVeigh

Auditioning
I've read quite a bit about the red push and even asked the dealer. He said they'd take care of it if necessary (not sure what that means). Can someone point me to a thread that details how to make the fix yourself?
A friend just bought the 46807 and got it today. He's happy with it - but who knows - its only been hours.
-Ryan

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
The red-push can be significantly reduced but not eliminated. If you don't notice it then good for you :)
Here is a link from HT Spot -read thru entire post on this issue.
Cheers,
Kishore

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks