What's new

Comparing the HK AVR-335 to Panasonic SA-XR55 ... my thoughts ... (2 Viewers)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Bought the panny from Amazon "warehouse deals" as a refurb. The sound is so much different from my old HK AVR-120, that I thought I didn't like the panny at first. It seemed to bright ( I have Athena speakers), and my cable didn't sound very good trhough it. I now realize that's because it reveals every flaw of your source. Thinking I didn't like it I bid and won a HK AVR-335 off ebay from harmon audio. In the mean time I kept using the Panny and figured I'd box it up and send it back when I got the HK. I loved my AVR120 o much, that I just knew I would love the 335, plus have all the latest goodies.

The day finally arrived. This hulking near 40# box arrived at my door. I unplugged everything from the panny and pulled it out of the spot in my AV rack, the whole time thinking to myself "how can something that looks so cheap and weigh 10 pounds sound better than the HK AVR335". I had just got done listening to some select clips from a few dvd's and various music cd's so that I could be prepared for how much better the HK was going to sound. Got the HK 335 all hooked up and calibrated and fired it up. Started listening to it and ... well ... was very underwhelmed. It was so laid back, and not near as revealing as the Panny. I kept telling myself it has to sound better, since I love the HK sound, but I just wasn't impressed. After about three hours of listening I realized I really liked the sound of the Panny in my setup. I was shocked. Not that the HK was bad, but it just didn't do it for me anymore. I then proceeded to pack up the 335 and it's on it's way back to Harman. Mark me as a convert to the digital amp. IT's so revealing and accurate, and has unbelievable power for it's size. It rules. Now I'm saving up my money for a new sub. Still can't believe I got a 7.1 receiver that sounds this good for a touch over $200.00.

Jason

FeisalK

Screenwriter
welcome to the club!! ;)

you're lucky you found a XR55... it's sold out on Amazon and most other places

Enjoy!

mylan

Screenwriter
I've heard those digital amps run cool in the Panny. This might be something for my upstairs system in a cabinent. How many W.P.C.?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
mylan, 100W per channel into 6Ω there are very few places you can get an XR55 nowadays though. There's one at BrandNamez but I've not heard about this online reseller before, and a couple on eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks