Comparing screen paints side by side?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by trey-m, May 19, 2005.

1. trey-m

trey-m Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone with experience in different kinds of screen paints ever painted half of their screen to compare side by side? In particular, has anyone compared goo side by side with behr silverscreen (or similar) in a mostly dark room? (I'm considering doing the 70% silverscreen/30% pearlessence white combo this weekend.)

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Trey, where did you come up with that mixture? You do know the pearlescence is white, correct? Why would you add pearl.
    to Silverscreen? What projector do you have? I have not compared what you're asking, by the way. I recently painted my screen with Behr Ultra Pure White(eggshell finish) and it looks great. Before that I tried flat, but the eggshell looks better(brighter).

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Compairing paints side by side is a difficult thing to do because technically, each sample should have the projector properly calibrated for it. I know what position you are in though because I was exactly there 2 years ago and ended up going with the silver screen to boost the black levels and maintain some degree of brightness at the same time.

FYI, pearlescence adds gain to the screen. It also causes the screen to reflect back more ambient light to the viewer as well, ie. the screen is more shiny. I went for the flat silver finish to my screen, or at least as flat as I could find.

4. trey-m

trey-m Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your input. My projector is X1 and my ambient lighting will be somewhat controlled. My only window in the room is a sliding glass door with a 3rd window panel, and I'm waiting to get blinds/curtains until I see how dark I need it to be after painting my screen. (With the assumption that striving for complete darkness would be more expensive.)

Neil wrote, I can't tell from that statement if you think adding some of the pearlescence is a good thing or not for my situation. Would whether or not I can get it completely dark, or just mostly dark make a difference? I haven't mixed the silverscreen and the pearlescence yet, so I could still go with just the silverscreen. (I'm painting Sunday.)

Thanks to all for your input.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would say if you already have a silver screen that adding pearl is not a good thing. Adding pearl to flat gray has somewhat the effect of silver but not quite.

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Hope you have some time to do some reading:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...s=&forumid=110

I spent a lot of time reading thru that link and in the end went with BEHR ultra pure white in eggshell finish, three coats. See my screenshots in my gallery. [​IMG]

For $20, can't go wrong...

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I also went with Behr Ultra Pure White(eggshell finish) with my X1 and it looks great. First I tried flat but the eggshell looks better. BUT, I have a totally dark room. I don't know how the white would work with the ambient lighting in your case. Take the pearl. back and get a refund.

8. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    YEP, Total light control is the key, I have no windows in my theater, TLC [​IMG]