Comparing InFocus projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aristides, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Looking to help a friend replace his front projector with a newer and hopefully better quality one.

He is currently using the discontinued InFocus LP350 and is looking at another InFocus projector. From my searches here and AVS Forum it appears that the X1 and/or the Screenplay 4800 and the soon to be released Screenplay 4805 are upgrades and more importantly are within his price cap.

From what I've been able to determine, the X1 and the 4800 are identical, and the 4805 adds minor chip upgrades.

Which if any of these projectors would be an upgrade to the LP350?

His primary viewing is of Satellite TV and DVD's ona 100" screen.

Thanks in advance,
    Aristides

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The X1 and 4800 offer identical performance, though they're not identical. I'd say the 4805 offers more than "minor chip upgrades" and is worth waiting for instead of either of the former.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The 4805 is native widescreen, with a 4x colorwheel (RGBRGB). In contrast to the X1/4800 being physically identical (differing firmware), 2x (RGBW) wheel.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Don't the X1 and 4800 have different inputs?

5. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

The X1 and the 4800 are identical. They are setup differently from each other by Infocus, but that is not a difference. Inputs are identical as well...

David

6. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Thanks. I'm trying to convince my friend that he should wait and get a projector that is truly and upgrade to his LP350. He was looking at the X1 originally and thanks to your help, I think I've been able to convince him to wait for the 4805.

Although his worries regarding a much lower lumens rating has him worried that the image won't be as bright. The LP 350 puts out 1300 lumens, while the 4805 looks like it will have 750.

How worried should he be? Will he need a higher gain screen?

A little backgroud, the theater is in his basement, although there are french doors 6' behind the projector and in-ceiling pot lamps will most likely be on and dimmed.

I want to make sure I give him the right info before he shells out the dough.

Thanks again for any help,
    Aristides

7. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Bump-
    for info on Lumens question from post above.

Thanks,
    Aristides

8. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I have an LP350 at work and an X1 at home .... very different projectors.

First & foremeost, the LP350 is an older XGA (1024x768) business projector. (It cost around $4500.- new) Although it has a significantly higher resolution, it does NOT render colors nearly as well as the X1. Also, it will not allow any keystone correction in video mode (only data mode ... I never understood why). Also the rated contrast ratio of the LP350 is only 400:1. Though most people will correctly tell you that CR specs are deceptive ... 400:1 is the BEST the LP350 can theoretically do. for video, it does poorer. In laymans terms ... this means that shadow detail sucks; forget enjoying "Underworld" on DVD. It is quite noticeable compared to the X1.

The X1/SP4800 is a 4:3 native SVGA projector (800x600 pixels). Since most people run this PJ in 16:9 mode, it effectively only has a 800X450 display. This means all DVD material slightly downconverted (from 480p) and 2.35:1 anamorphic source material will be using only ~340 vertical pixels). Despite these "pixel count shortcomings" ... the X1 does an amazing job (provided you don't sit too close) thanks to the beautiful color rendition and Faroudja/Sage processing.

The InFocus 4805 ($1400.-)is a significant improvement over the X1/4800. Why .... well for starters, the DLP chip contains a true 16:9 pixel array that is 852x480 pixels. This is a big deal because most R1 DVD's are encoded at 480 lines & a progressive scan DVD player outputs 480 lines of resolution. So ... the 4805 can present these DVD's with virtually no re-scaling of the image. Note that this is great for current DVD's, but not good enough for full res presentation of HDTV material, which mostlyruns at 720p or 1080i. The DMD chip in the 4805 also has mirrors that move 12 degrees ... only 1 degree more than older generations, but it will make a very big difference in black levels/contrast ratios. Finally the 4805 incorporates a 4x color wheel ... this will effect a huge reduction in the perception of the dreaded DLP rainbows for those who were bothered by them on the X1.

OK .. so what to do ... if your viewing habits consist mainly of DVD's and you are not sitting closer than 1200 pixels from the screen (thats 11.25 ft from a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen),the 4805 is the choice to make today.

If you're a real videophile and have spent big bucks on HDTV signal & equipment ... then you want to find a PJ with at least the new TI Mustang HD2 chip (1280x720), such as the InFocus SP7200/7205 or the BenQ PE8700. Bear in mind that you're looking at a street price north of $5K or so for such a unit.

You will also need a higher pixel count PJ if you want a HUGE image or you intend to sit really close to the image. For example, by my calculations, you can sit as close as 7.5 ft from a 110" diagonal 16:9 image coming from the Screenplay 7200 (Mustang HD2 chip)

Oh yea ... Lumens ... LP350 is 1300, X1 is 1100, 4805 is 750. BUT ... rating for the LP350 & X1 is in presentation mode, which you'll never use for video. for practical video purposes, all of these are the same. The major issue is image (screen) size. do the math ... A 110" diagonal screen is 89% MORE AREA compared to a 80" diag screen. This is what kills the overall brightness. The key for any of these PJ's is 100% light control in the viewing room ... then it doesn't really matter. I would stop worrying about lumens and start worring about light blocking drapes. Also be aware that a higher gain screen effectively focuses the reflected light towards the center of the viewing area. Less difuse means it looks brighter from the center of the room, but weaker from the sides of the room (i.e.: off-center viewing). One needs to consider all possible typical seating positions.

I have an Excel file on projector specs and recommended seating distances if you want more details.

Scott

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Aristides:

What kind of screen does he have now?

I agree with the others that the 4805 would be an upgrade for him and I would have him wait for that.

Parker

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

[​IMG]

You mean, the 4805 is the choice to make in May/June [​IMG]

Since, per the AVSforum folks that have called Infocus, that's when it is probably going to hit the streets.

Other notes: As I understand it, the X1 does not actually downconert the 480 lines to 450 - it slices 20 lines off the top and bottom to fit into the 450. Not a problem really, since most widescreen stuff ends up with a little bit of bars anyway.
    I think it has received so many positive reviews - no scaling.

And yes, the lumens on the RGBW business projectors are reduced - I think it's been tested to pretty much halve the output - when you take it out of presentation mode.

11. ScottBRA

ScottBRA Extra

IS the 4805 sold in stores or only online?

12. ScottBRA

ScottBRA Extra

IS the 4805 sold in stores or only online?

13. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Both. You can find a local dealer here

14. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Both. You can find a local dealer here

15. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    www.ProjectorCenter.com is now taking orders under $1300 or the 4805 with a wait time of about 2 weeks. Tracy helped me [​IMG]Mine is on order...[​IMG]

16. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    www.ProjectorCenter.com is now taking orders under $1300 or the 4805 with a wait time of about 2 weeks. Tracy helped me [​IMG]Mine is on order...[​IMG]