comparing component video source with composite/RCA video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edward.Lee, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Edward.Lee

Edward.Lee Auditioning

From MY setup, the image from the same DVD disc is identical. I am using 3 composite/RCA cables as 1 set of component cables - someone told me this is okay to do (is it?). These RCA cables aren't the extremely cheap kinds either... I believe they're Philips/Magnavox with good shielding and are gold-plated connectors. Picked them up from Walmart so you have an idea which they may be.

Specs:
    TV: Sony 57" HDTV widescreen with DRC set to Progressive
    DVD: Sony DVP NS715P in Progressive mode

Again, after using a single video cable (composite), I compared the image quality with a component video setup (3 RCA cables in the component outputs into my TV's component inputs. The DVD's "Progressive" LED was lit. The image was no doubt identical, in every detail, including very faint interlace-type lines. Some people have said these are "line-doublers", and they don't know if I can truly get a Progressive (no lines whatsoever) picture. Interestingly enough, while the DVD is playing, I can switch from Interlace to Progressive (and back) on the rear of the DVD player and I see little/no difference when standing right up against the tv. Maybe the enthusiast in me sees the "little", but the realist in me sees the "no" difference.

1) Is it the cables? Should I try exclusive-component cables?
    2) Is it the setup (TV or DVD)

Let me know if you need any more details... semi-newbie here. I don't know what a Progressive or Interlace picture would look like with my setup, so I don't know what I've got... which is the most frustrating. BTW, it's the same non-difference when using my XBOX / HD AV Pack (component). Thanx in advance.

2. Edward.Lee

Edward.Lee Auditioning

As an additional note, I just used my Apex DVD (supposedly progressive) to watch the same DVD.

Results:
    Sony DVD (progressive) using COMPONENT video
    Apex DVD (progressive) using RCA/COMPOSITE video (different, cheapo cables that came with the player)

Image quality looked almost the same. The quality was MAYBE slightly better on the Sony. What gives?