Comparing AI, Nashville Star, and Star Search talent

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Curt_Dennis, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Curt_Dennis

Curt_Dennis Stunt Coordinator

Mar 29, 2002
    It was brought up in another thread about the talent lacking on American Idol compared to Star Search and Nashville Star. It was suggested to start a new thread, so I thought I'd do just that.
    I totally agree...Star Search's 3 winners circle people blow away any of the AI people. Matter of fact, all but a few of the people on Star Search that have sung throughout this season are probably better. I don't watch Nashville Star, so I can't comment on it. I do know that I would buy a Jake Simpson or Freedom CD any day before any of the "top 12" on Idol.
    I'd love to know what others feel about this.
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    But most of the adult singers sent to face the winners circle were not all that great this season. And none of them really mounted a challenge, even to Jake, who sings from his heart and soul, but would be more of someone to watch perform (because he borders on spastic at times, but is fun to watch due to his commitment to the songs he sings), rather than listen to on the radio.

Freedom has one style, and he's damn good at it, but I feel he sort runs out of steam on his songs because he starts out too strong. But he reminds me of Darius Rucker vocally in the way he sings.

Vickie is a little too much to take at times, but she's quite an on-stage performer. Don't know where her recording future will take her, though.

The jury is still out on Nashville Star. I don't quite know the names yet, but there is a handful of contenders, and some pretenders in the top 10-11 right now.

One of the things I do like about AI is the way they force the contestants to pick songs to sing for a specific theme each week. You get a better idea of their strengths and weaknesses. You don't get that with Star Search as much. Nashville Star is trying to change things up week by week this season.
  3. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

Apr 15, 2004
    One advantage of Nashville Star is that the contestants must also be songwriters. Since new artists rarely get pitched the really great songs, the ability to write good material can really kick start a career. I also like that they have a decent band backing them up. While singing a cappella helps the judges focus on the voice, those are not the regular performance circumstances.