Compare these 4 receivers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Sunderland, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm looking into getting a new reciever to replace my Yamaha HTR-5460. A few of the reasons that I'm looking to upgrade is, I don't have enough digital audio inputs, and I'd like to have Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 for watching VHS and satellite.

The 4 recievers I am looking at are the Denon AVR-2802, the Yamaha HTR-5490, the Onkyo TX-SR700, and the Harmon Kardon AVR 320.

I am also going to be upgrading my speakers to Axiom M22ti's for the front, a VP150 for the center, and QS-4's for the rear. Any ideas on which receiver would match these speakers best.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me, I realize these are all pretty nice recievers, but I'm having a lot of trouble making a choice. I'm still pretty new to this, so I need the help! Thanks

Chad

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Well it appears you already like Yammy...and the 5490 has more digital inputs than the space shuttle. I own H/K but the 5490 was in the running for me before I purchased. Actually the 5490 is getting a little long in the tooth so getting one on a closeout should be a great buy.

When you get like you are and need to make a decision between equivalent quality pieces you really need to hear them. Sound characteristics vary between manufacturers as I'm sure you know.

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the downside i see to the 5490 is the lack of pre-outs. hopefully its replacement will have em.

4. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

This is just my opinion and prejudices and neuroses.

Out of these four, I take the Onkyo.

Here's my reasoning...

The Denon is getting old and about to be replaced. It lacks EX, lacks enough digital inputs for me and the remote is horrid.

I don't like Yamaha. Never have and like the non RX-V series even less.

The H/K lacks the power for what I need. And overpriced here because it is American (yet made in China, go figure).

The Onkyo is newest, all formats catered for. Has dual 6 channel inputs, full preouts, decent power, decent remote, decent BM (although the 80Hz isn't good) and component switching.

This is a game of catchup and the others are catching up to Onkyo IMO.

T.

5. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

I've just seen the Yamaha RX-V1300 online. Anyone see this unit in person yet? Looks like it has every feature the HTR-5490 has, plus preouts and a few other small features. And...it can be found for less than $600. Anyone have any hands-on experience with this unit? Thanks!

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I'd wait a few months and go for a closeout deal on a new 3802. IMHO it will beat the rest of the pack in terms of features and processing and have nice musical sound.

7. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at these and other receivers as well. You noted that you'd like to have DTS Neo6. Isn't the Yamaha the only one capable of this? The H/K has Logic7, which is similar and even superior to some people. If features don't specifically list DTS-ES discrete or DTS Neo:6, I'm assuming they aren't supported. It seems to me the receivers listed here don't support either. BTW, I've heard that there will be no HTR-5490 replacement (here on this forum), so you'll be stuck with the RX-V1300 as the cheapest Yamaha option. It also adds official Dolby Digital EX. I've seen the RX-V1200 on clearance at some local stores, but supplies are dwindling. Good luck.

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

3802 has both DPL II and DTS Neo:6.

9. Greer_R

Greer_R Agent

the SR700 has DPL2 and DTS Neo as well.

-Greer

10. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent

I have used Axioms with a few receivers. Always had excellent results.

11. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I would seriously consider the 2802 or 3802. Saying they are "getting old" is a misnomer -- the 2802 supports DD (including "EX" 6.1 matrix), DPL2, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS NEO:6, 5/6 channel stereo, etc. 3 digital optical in/1 digital coax. Full pre-outs. Full wide bandwidth (100 kHz) 5.1 inputs for DVD-Audio. Dual component vid inputs (wide bandwidth, up to 720p/1080i). The 3802 is the bigger brother, and even more powerful.

The fact that they are about to be replaced in the product line is a bonus IMHO -- it means you can probably get these at a much better street price, so more value for your $$$. Yes, the remote is horrid, but I certainly wouldn't base my purchase decision on that! If anything, buy the 2802 at discount and put your savings into a good HT remote and get rid of ALL of your remotes (I'm a happy Marantz MkII remote owner myself).

I'm certainly not putting down the others (I like the Onkyo and H/K too, though I bought a 2802 for myself). Not a big fan of Yammy, but can't give you any good reasons.