What's new

Compare Paradigm Centers (1 Viewer)

Andy Cody

Auditioning
I have recently purchased a pair of Active 40's; a pair of Active 20's and a servo 15. Due to Paradigm discontinuing the Active line I am having to settle for an active 450 cc vs, the Active studio cc. Please let me know what the difference is between these two center channels.

This forum was a major reason for my purchase decision. I am thrilled with the Active 40's and the servo 15 for music. I am hearing details I never knew existed.

Thanks,

Andy

Adil M

Supporting Actor
@$!$@ you... I'm jealous :angry: .
I was looking at the actives, as one of my tops on my list, but they are a #@!$ to get now. Oh well. I was actually told that there was very little difference between the active CC and the reference studio. Might want to consider that instead. The CC is very important for HT. So I'd call Paradigm and ask.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
A third Active 40 as your center would be sonicly ideal if you could figure a way to place it satisfactorly. There is at least on individual on this forum who has a third main speaker for his center and has it *upside down* (to keep the tweeter low I presume) on top of his TV and reports excellent results. I forget who it is, but if he reads this I am sure he will post a link to a picture of his set up. I have Studio 20s with the Studio CC center, and if I had it to do all over again I would get a third Studio 20 as my center. Enjoy.

Regards, Nick

Andy Cody

Auditioning
Nick
That is an excellent idea! I wish I had thought of that earlier in the process. Those Active 40's are getting pretty scarce as Adil acknowledges. The only concern is my video is a 32-inch Sony Wega placed in a recessed drywall cutout. How does this impact the proposed Active 40 center in regards to shielding.
I agree that the sound is tremendous on the 40’s it would be perfect for that theatre in a future basement with a front projector screen. I’m not sure if I would have adequate distance to set it on a speaker to one side of the Wega.
·How much distance do I need?
·Does it help that the TV is recessed and the speaker would be forward of the recessed drywall?
Thanks for your input :)
Andy

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Andy,

I think the Active 450 is an older model, maybe from the previous generation. A matching Active/40 would be ideal but a Studio/40 or a Studio/CC would be alright too.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
The Active CC should be somewhere. Try to get one. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a single active 40. You could buy a pair and use the second as the rear center channel. The actives are heavy as hell and not shielded. I wouldn't put it on my tv. If it fell it would hurt someone and screw something up inside of it. That's big $$$$. I understand that the Active 40 would ideally be the best, but considering the CC has the same volume I'm guessing it matches the ACtive 40's very very well. Let's not be too anal here. It was designed to match the reference speakers. It's also much easier to place. Look around for the Active CC. They seem to be much easier to get along w/ the Active ADP's. For some reason the few people who bought the Actives never bought the whole set..?!!? I have noticed that the Actives have some unlimited potential depending on the pre. Good Luck, bastard... I'm sorry.

Oh yeah, Place the CC below the TV pointing up if you can or make a space for it below your tv, not a cubby. Try it.

Andy Cody

Auditioning
Adil

I wish I could find the Active CC. I can't locate one anywhere. My dealer says that the the Active 450 cc is sonically the same. I have heard that the Active 450 cc has a less powerfull amp for the tweeter section. I am not sure of this or any other differences.

Just finished listening to Arturo Sandoval on the 40's. Sounds like the bell of his trumpet is 8 feet away. I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating a pair. I know that there are still a good amount of active 20's out there.

Take care and thanks for your input.

Andy the Lucky Bastard

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Andy:

I have not played with this much myself, but I have heard it said a number of times that having your main/center speakers slightly foward of the TV screen is not only ok, but desireable. I am not sure of the reasoning however. Maybe someone could jump in and elaborate on this if it is true (or not).

Howard:

I have found the Studio Center to be not as clear and detailed as my Studio 20s thus dialog is not as "crisp" and "clear" as I it is coming from the 20s. The Center is "just ok" to me for dialog. As a matter of fact, I find that I prefer a phantom center and usually have the center set to "NO" for movies for clearer dialog. Yes I know the CC Center has the same tweeter as the 20s and thus voices should sound the same coming from either, but they do not sound that way to me. Is it a hugh deal? No, maybe just a preferance since I have not read anyone else mention being bothered by it. But it bothers me enough that I called my Paradigm dealer to see if they can order for me a single sheilded Studio 20 (they can)to us as my center.

Regards, Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks