What's new

Comparable receiver to Marantz 7200/8200 (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
As the title states I'm looking at the Marantz 7200 or 8200 (if I can get a good deal). I've posted before and heard nothing but good things about Marantz, but I'v got a friend who owns an audio store and may be able to hook me up with a good price on another brand (he's not a Marantz dealer). I was looking for some suggestions on comparable makes/models from other brands i.e. Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, HK, etc.

It will be used with B&W DM603 s3-mains LCR600 s3-center, DM601 s3-rears...the sub is going to have to wait but will mostly likely be an SVS.

Thanks.

Gianni

Agent
It would be worth looking at the Rotel RSX 1055. I am considering one myself.

Price wise it falls in between the sr7200/7300 and sr8200.
Don't be fooled by the 75w power rating. This is conservative--it's probably among the strongest 75w's you'll find. (100w into 2ch)

Not as many gizmo's as some AVRs but the emphasis is on sound quality. This and the Marantz are some of the better sounding units(especially for music) at this price point.

Shane Yates

Stunt Coordinator
You should look at NAD T752 or T762, if you like marantz's warm sound then you will like the NAD sound. I've heard that some x200 Marantz cut off the first few seconds of digital tracks which can be a minor(or major) annoyance. NAD also has conservative power ratings which actually make it sound more poweful than advertised. Take a look at NAD, you might be surprised.

Shane

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
i just ordered a vsx45tx after doing some a/b comparisons with the denon 3802 and some ear bleeding yamaha's...the
denon and the pioneer both sounded warm, almost indistinguishable, i chose the 45tx for its auto calibration,timbermatching and it also allows biamping
from the rear channels, this works well for my H.T. layout.
Oh i am not just talking trash on the yamaha's but I.M.O.
you never couple a yamaha to a horn or any speaker that is
inherantly bright;)

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
jim it's a joke, i was implying that the yamaha is bright..the units compared were denon 3802 pineer elite vsx45tx-49tx and yamaha models htr5490 and rxv2300 all good receivers....:)

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha brightness...Really? I know the joke well. Spend enough time on these forums and it's in your face. I wanted to know which models did this because I haven't found this to be true with my 1300.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
No Joke. I tried an RX-V1000 on my speakers (Mordaunt-Short 906) compared to a Marantz SR6200 and Onkyo 797. The Yam sounded harsh. Maybe they've improved with the latest generation. I hope so, because I think Yamaha is one of the most reliable brands out there - they leave the factory without defects, which is more than can be said with the two other brands I mentioned.

Brae

Supporting Actor
I own the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX in case you have some questions. You can find 2-3 of my threads and several other for the 45TX on AVS, too.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
If you really like the Marantz sound like I do... I would go for it, and stay with it. I have the SR7200 with B&W 600 series speakers and it's perfect. The 8200 sounds a bit better than the 7200 but it's too expensive.

I tried B&Ws with Denon (1802, 2802) and also H&K 5000 but it just doesn't sound as well as the 7200.

A friend who heard NAD T71 said it was very Marantz-like sounding and he preferred it over the Marantz SR5200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks