What's new

Compaq Laptop is running very sloooow! (1 Viewer)

tim55

Grip
I have a compaq presario p4 512 ram laptop that has slowed down to the point that I cannot have more than 2 applications running at a time. Anyone have an idea of what I can do to revive it?

Thanks

Steve_AS

Second Unit
-- disinfect your drives with some good, up to date anti-virus software.

-- run disc cleanup to remove useless large files

-- runs some ad-ware /spy-bot software to identify and delete these annoyances

-- defragment your hard drive

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Forgot to add:

-- clear your browser caches manually (using the brower's options menu) 'just to be sure'.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't mention the O/S, if its NT, Win2k, or XP, bring up the task manager (Ctl+Alt+Del) and check the processes tab. Then click CPU column header to sort by % utilization. Normally the "System Idle Process" should be running about 99% if you are not running any applications.

If some other process is running a large percentage, determine what it is and then research why it might be sucking up so much CPU.

As an example, at my place of employment, we have had a real problem with McAfee antivirus running 100% CPU. A little homework on the McAfee site found that the EPO had corrupted some db files. solution: stop the AV services, delete the corrupt files, and restart AV. Some of my technicians had actually reinstalled the O/S to clear the problem before we learned about the corrupted files.

Like I said that is just an example of a run away process and its solution, more than likely not your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks