What's new

Companion Books for TV on DVD series (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Darned if there isn't a companion book to this show...and just in time for me with the first season coming out next month. Just now ordered a copy from Amazon for $4.59. I wish there was a comprehensive list somewhere of all the classic shows featuring a companion guide--but I have to admit, your list is a pretty good one!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the great series of books on Dark Shadows, especially those made by Pomegranate Press. This is an interesting case as I think it's probably one of the few occassions when one of the stars of a classic TV show not only puts out a book or two about the show, but creates her own publishing company as well! Such is the case with Kathryn Leigh Scott and Pomegranate Press.

Not only has she put out books on her own show, she was the one who published The Fugitive Recaptured, and the books on The Rockford Files, Maverick, the original The Night Stalker and Charlie's Angels, which also starred another Dark Shadows cast member, Kate Jackson.

A lot of the people on this thread owe a debt of gratitude to Miss Scott for all she's done for classic TV- and besides, she's a very nice lady in person!

Take a look at what she currently has to offer:

http://pompress.com/

Blimpboy

Agent
Real Name
Darin
I have read The Mission: Impossible Dossier many times. With the series coming to DVD soon, it will make an excellent companion. The book covers many behind the scenes details for each episode. Each season is also given a synopsis. Highly recommended.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
My Name is Friday: The Unauthorized But True Story of Dragnet and the Films of Jack Webb by Michael Hayde (Amazon has it) covers everything Joe Friday and the rest of Webb's career.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
"The Prisoner" by Alain Carraze and Helene Oswald is a fine publication as well as "The Avengers Companion" by Alain Carraze and Jean-Luc Putheaud.

Also, I like "This is a Thriller" by Alan Warren based on the series narrated by Boris Karloff.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
TV companion books I have:

The Complete Mission: Impossible Dossier by Patrick J. White
Booking Hawaii Five-O by Karen Rhodes
30 Years of The Rockford Files
Steele Loved After All These Years (Remington Steele) by Judith Moose

and a Dynasty and Dallas book.

I wish someone would do companion books on the following:

Magnum, p.i.
Mannix
Murder, She Wrote
Diagnosis Murder
Midnight Caller
Knots Landing
Twin Peaks
The Invaders.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

Please, please do not get this book. It has over 250 typographical errors (some hysterical) in the episode guide portion alone, including missing/bad credits. If you must, last time I looked, it was available online at no cost.

I think Ed Robertson's Fugitive Guide is excellent and The Columbo Phile, but the best companion book ever is The Twilight Zone one.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I have companion books for

Get Smart
Dick Van Dyke Show
Bewitched
Partridge Family
Maverick
Ally McBeal
Frasier
Beverly Hillbillies

and am kicking myself for not buying the one on Bonanza I saw several years ago, because I haven't seen it since.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Off the top of my head, I have:

The Twilight Zone Companion
The Complete Avengers
quite a few books on Monty Python's Flying Circus
the Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Sunnydale Yearbook"
Bat-Mania

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I didn't see this listed yet:

I Spy: A History and Episode Guide to the Groundbreaking Television Series. (Marc Cushman, Linda LaRosa, Robert Culp)

It's quite thorough and informative.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I like and use most of the Trek companion books (including the Okuda Encyclopedia); I also enjoy The Outer Limits book by Schow et al., and the Dark Shadows: The First Year book, which includes capsul descriptions of all of the first 210 or so episodes up to and including the arrival of Barnabas.

That's really great that you've met her. In my recent letter from her, she was very gracious and encouraging. :emoji_thumbsup:

LCD22

Screenwriter
I have the following companion books:

The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion (First Edition) by Larry Nemecek
The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to The X-Files by Brian Lowry
Monk: The Official Episode Guide by Terry J. Erdmann and Paula M. Block
The 4400: The Official Companion Seasons 1 and 2 by Terry J Erdmann

And I'm dying to see these series get companions:

MacGyver
Early Edition
Psych
Burn Notice
The Fall Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks