What's new

Companion Books for TV on DVD series (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Does anyone else enjoy reading the companion books that some shows have while watching on DVD? And if so, what are some of your favorite companion books?

The best one I have in my collection is the Firefly Companion. It is the slickest companion book I have seen yet.

And the Babylon 5 script books, while not companions per say, are an excellent read as well.

I am just starting to read the BSG companion and it is chalk full of info so far and I am enjoying it.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Stargate SG1 companion was awful. It was nothing more than a slightly expanded episode guide. I won't be pruchasing more of these which is unfortunate because these could and should have been so much better. I can only hope that with SG1 winding down, that someone will publish a kick ass 10 season companion, although I am not holding my breath.

Andy

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I was just thinking of this topic the other day...great idea!

The BEST TV companion book I have is "Bewitched Forever" by Herbie J. Pilato. It is a later edition of the original book "The BW Book" which contained the first BW episode guide I had ever seen. He also interviewed Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York, Dick Sargent, David White and others before their untimely deaths and it has a lot of behind the scenes anecdotes and such.

Another good book is "The Dick Van Dyke Show" by Vince Waldron.

I do have others like the original "The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright", "Dreaming of Jeannie" and "The Addams Family" all by Steve Cox, but the two I listed before are the best.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Excellent David, thats exactly what I am looking for in this thread.

To go along with David's post, here is a link to the Firefly companion I mentioned earlier. I can't wait for Vol 2 to come out!

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Offici...e=UTF8&s=books

Everyone please list your favorites. I have a Lost Companion being shipped and have heard good things about it

Andy

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide is pretty funny and a decent guide to the early years of the show (it doesn't cover seasons seven and up, but the official website does have entries for those shows). If you're a fan, it is definitely worth buying.

Also, Twilight Zone fans can hardly ask for anything better to go with their deluxe DVD sets than The Twilight Zone Companion by Marc Scott Zicree.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have the "Star Trek" companion books. I find them useful & helpful. Is there a really good one for "The X-Files"?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I forgot two other TV books I have.

The first is "The Complete Book of M*A*S*H" by Suzy Kalter, which is a pretty decent book though it seemed like the episodes weren't in order. I haven't read it for a long time though.

The other one is "Will & Grace: Fabulously Uncensored" by Jim Colucci. I hope there is an updated version coming out (pun not intended) soon because it only covers Season 1 - 6. It has TONS of pictures, great stories from the cast and quotes from the show all through it.

And then one more that just popped in my head is "American Idol Season 4" book...only cause there is a picture of me in it cause I tried out:) I'm shown sleeping because I had driven all night to Las Vegas.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
I found the LOST companion book to be good.. oh and the CHARMED: "The Book of three" as well :)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Hi Scot, I see the Watchers Guide but can't seem to find Case Files. Can you provide a link for that?

Andy

Jim-M

Second Unit
Leave It To Beaver: 'The World According To Beaver'.

Survivor Season 1: 'Survivor: The Ultimate Game' by Mark Burnett and Martin Dugard.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Is the Lost book just of Season One? And if so is there one for season 2 that you know of?

Andy

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
The Have Gun Will Travel Companion is an excellent book for that series and The Beverly Hillbillies: A Fortieth Anniversary Wing Ding by Stephen Cox is a great follow along book for that show.

Tabetha

Agent
Wow. I just wanted to say that I didn't realize that there were so many books about the different tv shows out there. I may have to hunt around for the Bewitched one and the I Dream of Jeannie one.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

There's one for season 2 as well, although it was published before the season started airing and thus there aren't any behind-the-scenes details.

The Simpsons companion books are excellent.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

as far as i know only S1 is covered. no news for a S2 book yet that I know of ;)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Does anyone own "Monk: The Official Episode Guide" by Terry J. Erdmann and Paula M. Block? Any recommendations for a fellow "Monk" fan?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
One of my favorite companion books is "THE FUGITIVE: RECAPTURED." Oh, wait a minute. Paramount hasn't gotten off their butts and released that show yet.

In all seriousness, I'd recommend a few books:

"The World According to Beaver"
"Seaview: The Making of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (oop, but excellent)
"The Official TV Westerns Round Up Book" (a great book that gives brief overviews of dozens and dozens of tv westerns)
"The Official Abbott and Costello Scrapbook"
"Fantasy Blueprints of Classic TV Homes TV Sets" (this is a great book to own)

Gary "I need to pick up books on TAGS, TDVDS, ILL and many more" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks