What's new

Companies forbidding internet sales - Why? (1 Viewer)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
What is it with companies lately forbidding Internet sales? Recently I have been looking at both Energy Connoisseur and Wharfedale Evolution speakers, but both companies make it hard to obtain speakers due to their refusal to sell to Internet resellers... Even ones they have officially sold through in the past.
Isn't there some other way to enforce their sales policies without compromising the consumer?
I'm just frustrated that getting a good deal is becoming harder and harder. What's wrong with supplier "A" giving a better deal than supplier "B"? It isn't the consumer's fault they can't keep their products off the gray market.
Or am I missing the mark all-together?
Thanks,
Eric

Seth_L

Screenwriter
They're busy protecting their B&M dealers (perhaps nievely). Their B&M retailers are too busy complaining about internet sales to do something inovative like fixing their broken business model. It reminds me of the record labels. They're business model has become obsolete, but they want protection from those people with a superior one. It just happens that B&M retailers are trying to get that from the makers of the gear they sell rather than the gov't like the RIAA.

Seth

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
IIRC Energy is a Canadian brand (and will be significantly cheaper in Canada). Paradigm is another company like this (B&M only sales, much cheaper in Canada).

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Some quality manufacturers try to assure proper consulation and setup. They believe that is the best way of ensuring their products performance.

-rob

BrianT

Auditioning
Something the manufacturers are forgetting is that many areas of the country, world for that matter, don't have B&M stores, and the Internet is an excellent method to make more sales. For example, the town I leave in, Evansville, Indiana, only has one, audio store (if you can call it that) and then Best Buys and Circuit City. The "audio" store does not carry any separates just Yamaha and Sony (not even the ES stuff) they sell Paradigm, Def. Tech and B&W (altough they have only have 2 current models 602s and cdnt7) and hold on....Bose. I hardly call this a selection. I know there are people in town that would like higher end stuff or at least have a some choices but it is getting difficult to purchase these items, not to mention listen to them with no internet sales.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Some quality manufacturers try to assure proper consulation and setup. They believe that is the best way of ensuring their products performance.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
Yeah, it's audio gear, hearing it would be a good idea....

I do feel for those people who live far away from any audio stores and some mnfgrs are beginning to sell direct to them at msrp for this reason.The truth is though that the mnfgrs of better gear know that their equipment has to be heard to prove it surpasses brand "X". The comparisons occurs mostly at A/V stores and if the purchasing is done later through a dealer that doesn't operate a listening station (ie. e-tailers) then the eventuality is that it becomes difficult for the guys that have the overhead associated with B&M's to stay open for future demo's..........

Matt Jesty

Second Unit

I do feel for those people who live far away from any audio stores and some mnfgrs are beginning to sell direct to them at msrp for this reason.The truth is though that the mnfgrs of better gear know that their equipment has to be heard to prove it surpasses brand "X". The comparisons occurs mostly at A/V stores and if the purchasing is done later through a dealer that doesn't operate a listening station (ie. e-tailers) then the eventuality is that it becomes difficult for the guys that have the overhead associated with B&M's to stay open for future demo's..........

Matt Jesty

Second Unit

Matt Jesty

Second Unit

Matt Jesty

Second Unit

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
OK, that is one area I have to concede on... To make a true informed choice, one needs to listen & then purchase.
I tend to rely strongly on reviews and, well, this site, before I purchase. Then, I usually head for the net to buy... But then, I am a low to mid level consumer. I cannot afford to purchase the real hi-end items. For those, I would be crazy to not audition first...

-Eric

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I think you'd be crazier not to audition the low to mid-fi equipment, guessing that money is tight and your purchases will likely stay around for awhile......all the reading in the world won't explain the taste differance between a strawberry and a grape....and having never tasted grapes ,I'm sure I'd be happy with strawberries....once I got them in my own room where I could properly evaluate them

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Trust me I am in your corner. I have learned to watch myself when in particular company. I used to work at Niles Audio Corp, and they have a very strict policy regarding internet sales. None.

Forums like this are great, but they cannot replace a competant dealer.

-rob

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess I just miss having the choices of where to purchase. Money is tight and that is where the fine line is in the difference between online sales and B&M. I just find the Internet is a way to "step up" in product-line for the price of the lower product.
-Eric

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Rob,

To bad there are very few "competant" dealers. Having a snobby attitude and a store for 30 years doesn't make someone competent. Considering the BS and drivel I've been told by some different shops that you would probably label as "competant" I don't see the need for them like you do.

It seems to me that the Boutique audio people are either protecting their B&M dealers, or they're hiding behind their dealers. If your product doesn't really sound any better than something that's far less expensive and you cut out the middle man (who re-iterates the lies to the customers) who's going to buy their stuff without any proof of their claims?

Seth

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
You can always call a dealer and have them ship it to you. I've done this with a few components that have "no internet sales".

Listening to a component before you buy is obviously a good idea, but what's even better is a home audition. You don't really know what it sounds like until you drop it in your system at home.

There are several retailers like Red Trumpet (no affiliation) that have 30-days or your money back policies.

Lately, I'm doing more shopping in the used market (Audiogon, Audio Shopper, Audio Web) for components that are a few years older. Much more bang for the buck and you take less of a loss if it doesn't suit you and you want to resell it.

-Mike...

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Brian_T, why don't you just drive to Louisville, its just right across the river right?
EDIT: Nevermind, I thought Louisville was ALOT close than that. haha :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks