Compact HT system help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have an old dvd player that I plan to install up in a small living room tv area. Since I have an old receiver to use too, I'm thinking of adding some speakers even though my family doesn't care too much about it since they mostly just watch tv and recorded tv programs up there. There is also very little room to place speakers and we don't like wall mounting. Originally I had thought of getting the Paradigm Cinema series with the small little stands but I'm now thinking about ditching the surround speakers all together and just get two good compact speakers or even a center channel as well. Perhaps even adding a small sub to it. What are your thoughts on this? Since my family finds it more comfortable to watch upstairs (they can move around the kitchen) I can build a system where I don't mind watching upstairs for movies that don't have much sound effects such as comedies. As long as things aren't run from the tv speakers really [​IMG]
    Any suggestions? Want to keep this cheap. I would love to go with the Studio 20s, but I think we would want to spend less on it.

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

If your receiver doesn't have all the Dolby Digital and DTX bells and whistles you could just use plain old stereo. Every dvd has a stereo track. If you do this, then get a good pair of mains and go with that. Later, when you have more money pick up a center and / or sub. Lastly if you prefer a larger main speaker you could buy the matching towers and move the bookshelf mains to pull surround duty.

If you are looking for a truly cheap speaker the Polk Audio R10 can be had very cheap. In the states Circuit City is selling them for $60/pr. They sound better and better as they break in. They weren't always $60, they used to be more.

This is going to sound like a plug, and in a tiny way it is. I have a cs175i, the matching center to the Polk R10. I'll sell it cheap, but shipping to Canada might be a lot, I don't know. I put it on ebay but got a deadbeat bidder thats whay I mention it.

Just a thought.

UPDATE: That price must have been clearance, they are priced at $140/pr now. Maybe they were open box or something. What is your price range?

3. Howard_S

My receiver can do AC3 but can't do DTS which is fine with me. Since my receiver provides adequate power I don't think I have to spend quite a bit of money to improve upon it. I don't want to go cheap cheap over this. I do however want to keep the price lower than $1000CDN so hence not going with the Studio 20s. I don't want to buy something that I don't want to keep however so going with the Studio 20s isn't out of the question but I think there might not be a need for it considering that it will be little used unless things changes.

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

Since you're in Canada, how about three Atoms and a smallish sub? I'm sure Energy or PSB have similar cheap, high-bang-for-the-buck speakers. Even a pair of Atoms without a sub would sound vastly better than any TV speakers. I have a pair of Rat Shack Minimus 7's that have no bass below 100 Hz, powered by a lame Philips 50 watt/channel Dolby Surround receiver, and they sound better than the speakers in my $2500 Sony 53" RPTV. You don't have to spend much to make movies sound better - you almost can't go wrong.

Peter

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...oni&1016720593
    I post this link, because I highly recommend picking up a pair of used 20's in excellent condition like I did. They are pre-broken in, and in most cases no more than 6 months old. The ones I got had not a scratch. But this is my bias toward the Reference line. My 20's give me goosebumps.
    You can of course get a pair of new Titans or Atoms very cheap.
    Edit: whoops, sorry. Says sale pending. But you might look around Audiogon and other places for used.

6. Howard_S

Eric. I don't know how much the shipping will be but say it's $30. That will make the price over 800CDN. Considering that I can get the 20s for about $1000CDN or so I'm not sure if it's much of a money saver. The peace of mine is probably worth $200CDN to me.

7. Howard_S

Are Atoms horrible for HT?

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

H*ll no, I have a friend who has four atoms and one CC170 center and it sounds great. However, you absolutely must have a good sub to get away with it, the Atoms don't do bass.
    His system cost half of mine but sounds just about as good. Which is annoying [​IMG] but I'm happy for him since I recommended the speakers.

9. Howard_S

Okay. Here are my choices.

Studio 20s w/o Center

Atoms w/ Center

Something else w/ Center?

Studio 20s w/o Center represents the most expensive option.

Atoms represent my cheap option

Something else w/Center speaker can represent my middle range or something that costs the same as Studio 20s. The question is whether I really need a center speaker since I'm only going to ocassionally use it to watch movies or music for that matter.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Howard, since this is just for casual use and you didn't give a budget, why not something like the Energy Take 5.2 system ($900 retail, cheaper on-line) which includes a sub. This system is compact yet gets generally very good reviews. You can also buy the components of the system separately I believe.

good luck,

--tom

11. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

if you can, go listen to the psb alpha intro's. I went to my stereo store where i buy all my products, they had the eagles dvd in, I thought that it was the image system they had there playing, it was the intro's.....very smooth sounding, just need a sub to augment the sound. for that, the sony sa-wm40 would be an excellent choice, provided you do the necessary fiber fill mod......it's a little boomy without but should flaten out with it in....Just my 2 cent's worth! have fun!

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Howard,

Check out B&W 303's. I just bought four + the matching center for my bedroom. Good sound in a small enclosure.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I haven't heard the other three systems you mention, but like I said, I have listened extensively to four atoms, a cc-170 center and a fairly inexpensive sub and it all sounds extraordinarily good for the money and quite good even if you don't consider the cost.
    I'm sure it would be more than enough for a secondary system, but like I said, bass is a weakness. If you don't plan on a sub at all, you need to consider (one of the?) other options.
    But indeed, you could just abandon the receiver to its fate, surf over to the Klispsch website and order a $399 ProMedia 5.1 system and the $99 oops, apparently that was an older price, it's $169 now dolby digital decoder and get a great all-inclusive system with sub and all. The reviews have been glowing and the specs are impressive.
    Personally I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Atoms and get something like the little Sony sub that Steve mentions.

14. Howard_S

I think I'm really looking into only getting 2 speakers and not even a sub. I have heard the atoms and think they're great but I'm worried my receiver might overpower it or the speakers being underpowered.

Chip. I have heard good things about the B&W303s but my local dealers really grate on my nerves. I think I might go with the Studio 20s if I can get a good enough price on them. Do I need a center channel with that? Otherwise it'll be either the 303s or Atoms.