1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Compact/entry level sedans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Solar, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Looking for a new car in a month or so. what cars are the fav around here? any long term reliablility issues? vices? Here are my choices:
    Saturn Ion2
    Toyota Corolla Sport
    Ford focus
    might look at honda

A little higher in price
    Hyundai Sonata
    Jetta

I have not test drove any of them yet but was inpresed with the saturn's style. But the back seat was small. Toyota had a nice rear seat but was a little higher fianacing. Ford has nice interior but I don't like the front of the car(just me) Honda seems a little under powered. I seem to nitpick but only for comparison purposes[​IMG]

2. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Corolla is light years ahead of all those cars in terms of refinement for what it is supposed to be. Honda gets my #2 vote just because it's too trendy [​IMG]

3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Pick up the latest Motor Trend. Comparision of 4 cylinder Accord, Camry & Altima. Haven't the article yet though...

Mike D.

4. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

First choice will be Honda Civic then Toyota Corolla and Nissan Sentra.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Another vote for Nissan Sentra SE-R here. Great styling and performance for the price. The SpecV model has a 6spd and 175 horse.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The altima has a HUGE rear seat. It would be tops on my list, but I'm not sure if its in your price range (I think its around 19K for the 4-cyl models)

Jettas are nice, but VWs can be very different if you're used to mostly Asian imports...I am getting more and more attached to my wifes Jetta though. You just can't beat the handling and fun factor.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You can't beat the Toyota Corolla for reliability. My friends have a 1995 Corolla (bought new, manufactured in Canada), and the build quality is so outstanding, there is not even so much as a creak or a rattle. Dead silent inside.

In contrast, my 1998 Honda Accord V6 (built in Ohio) has a few creaks here and there. One of the shocks has lost its oil, my fuel pump sensor failed twice, and now my windshield wiper fluid sensor is on the fritz. By American standards, it's still an excellent car, however.

The only problem with buying such a high-quality vehicle is that you'll forever be comparing all other cars to it.

An extremely reliable car, although more expensive in general, will cost you much less in the long run when you factor in maintenance costs and frustration.

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

In this range my first choice would be the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, which offers tremendous performance for the money, followed by the Toyota Corolla, which is an excellent all-around car even if it's not as exciting as the SE-R Spec V, followed by the Honda Civic, which is a very good car, if a bit overrated. The Volkswagen Jettas are very nice, but they are generally considerably more expensive both to purchase and maintain.

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

If you are looking for a car that will provide reliable long term service, my vote is with the Toyotas and Hondas.
    I've owned both and have no complaints about reliability with either. As was stated before, I too had to fix minor creeks in the dashboard on my Honda. Other than that, I am very satisfied with the fit and finish.
    You might want to check out the new consumer reports buying guide for cars that just came out. IIRC, they usually ding the Saturns on interior fit and finish as well as general noise levels.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Doh, I just realized the cars I mentioned aren't compacts :b

If you want performance, check out the Subaru Impreza WRX [​IMG] I'm very biased though. If you are looking for UNDER $20k, check out the Impreza 2.5RS. The WRX's little brother is no slouch. Flat four putting out 165HP, all-whell drive, same suspension & brakes as the WRX. And for the '04 model, the bug eyes are gone (although I love mine) and the car looks slightly more mainstream.

Mike D.

11. andrew markworthy

You might also want to consider the Nissan Micra, which tends to get favourable reviews (at least over this side of the pond).

Also very well regarded in Europe is the Peugeot range. The Pug 106s and 206s are definitely compact and come in a wide range of specifications. Next up the range is Pug 307 which was (deservedly IMHO) voted Car of the Year last year by the European motoring critics. This may be a bit over-budget/size for you, but if not, I'd urge you to consider it.

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Nissan Micra and the Peugeots aren't available in the USA. I don't know about Canada though.

I've had a Saturn SL2 for over 5 years and it's been a great car. I haven't seen the ION yet but I would wait a couple years to let them work the bugs out since it's a new design. My next choice would be the Corolla, or with gas prices the way they are, the Prius.

13. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
  14. andrew markworthy

15. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Nor in canada.
    I really like the look of Peugeots, Citroens, Opel, etc.

Its a shame they don't come over here.

16. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I second the recommendation on the Subaru Imprezza. I bought an RS in December and I still get out of it with a grin on my face. Amazing in snow and rain. Amazing grip on highway off ramps. I keep finding myself saying 'Did I just do that?'.
    Love the sound of the boxer motor too.
    Other than a tinny sounding trunk lid when you close it, the fit and finish seems to be terrific.
    Do test drive one for sure. Addictive little cars.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How bout the Mitsubishi Lancer??? My friend has one, and it was recently voted best compact car by canadian automobile journalits this year [​IMG]

18. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

The more you look the more you find[​IMG] I just drove a corolla today. Not bad. Smooth fairly peppy. Listed at 22grand plus tax and 5.9 financing. That's the sport with power windows and sunroof etc. I think $21000ish is my limit before tax. I think that is a little under 20grand US.

I am mostly looking for something in my price range, new. Automatic too. I have a 90' toyota camry v6. Still gotta drive a saturn. thanks for your suggestions thus far.

19. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

The Mazda Protege beats all comers hands down! My wife has a 2003 Protege5, and I have a 2001 Protege, they're fantastic!
    Todd Brown

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my 94 accord is still running solid at 130k. to look at it you would think it's a much later model.

only broke down once - later determined to be a manufacturer defect for which i was completely reimbursed.

no squeaks, no groans, no grunts.

i would buy a honda again without hesitation.