What's new

Community: Season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So much self-loathing in this one. Definitely a Harmon-episode.
But he manages to balance the funny and the sad so perfectly. I'm very interested in how dark it got for Britta and Annie. And Pierce too, actually. This show is fascinating.
I think the Troy stuff was great. Going way back to Season 1, when he was the over-confident jock, dickishly hitting on Annie, you can see how much he's grown. Now he's a nicer, more sensitive dude, and appears to have genuine feelings towards Britta, who is totally turned off by the "nice-guy" schtick.
Troy coming to that realization as he's sending out the final text was just so sad. Great character stuff. And it goes without saying -- Glover is an enormous talent.
(Also: Chang wanting to play Russian Roulette with Pierce.)
ChristopherG said:
Josh your devotion to this show is....uh....devout....if Community were a girl there would already be several restraining orders.
This is probably true. If Community was a hot chick, I'd be trying to bang her for life.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm one episode behind but I finally watched "Pillows and Blankets" from last week. What a fantastic episode. I maybe didn't laugh as much as I usually do but it's now one of my top three. The narration and interviews were perfect. And I loved that they added in the "Changlorious Bastards".

It's funny but if they had not mended Troy and Abed's friendship I think that it might have turned me off.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This one just gained a lot for me on a second viewing.
("...And chain me to a radiator like a mother-flipping carny-banging werewolf!")
I kind of get the feeling from his performance that Chase is fine with the stuff that's up-front with its laugh, like, "Don't patronize me!", "He's hung," or long takes on the bench looking heartbroken over Chang (hey, as stupid as he may think it is, it's the camera on Chevy!).
But he probably hates fumbling through a convoluted, funny-but-not-obvious line like, "She has the King Arthur's sword of bad taste in men!" I wonder how many takes that took.
Loved the Dean in this ep. As usual. "Just make me a scotch and soda." "Make it yourself!" "I don't know how!"
"Boy, this guy doesn't give vampires a square inch of leeway" is going right in my back pocket to use at some future relevant moment.
spshultz said:
I'm one episode behind but I finally watched "Pillows and Blankets" from last week.  What a fantastic episode.  I maybe didn't laugh as much as I usually do but it's now one of my top three.  The narration and interviews were perfect.  And I loved that they added in the "Changlorious Bastards".
It's funny but if they had not mended Troy and Abed's friendship I think that it might have turned me off.
Back briefly to the Pillowtown/Blanketsburg massacre:
http://securingrights.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/community-rules/
Community as a way to understand localized conflicts. Again, Harmon & Co. are brilliant writers.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This was such a good episode. I completely lost it when they visited the coroner's office.
Between the Pillow/Blanket and this, I'd have a hard time choosing.
Strangely, the only thing that didn't work for me was the Troy/Abed ending. Oh, it was ok, but I would have liked something that fit in more with the episode (I realize they usually don't). Perhaps something referencing StarBurns

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's coming up in a couple of weeks -- Dan Harmon said that he's "basically playing Gus Fring," which is all kinds of awesome. Reportedly, the character is some kind of accomplice of Pierce's late father, which could tie into Starburns' demise somehow.
(BTW, wasn't back in the season premiere that the now-late Alex Osbourne asked Omar about "getting a 'Breaking Bad'-type thing going" with him?)
I was loving this episode, and then Quendra showed up, and I really loved this episode.
I was actually debating whether a Law & Order spoof would be funny or lame. And then Leslie Hendrix showed up and settled the fuck out of that debate. Well played, Community. Well played.
Alison Brie was killing it during the trial segment. ("...Are you a virgin? WITHDRAWN!!") Also, "I'm gifted in other ways" absolutely slayed me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I actually think this was my favourite episode of the series (though I am slightly biased). They nailed everything from the angles, to the cuts and reaction shots, and the rhythm of the dialogue. I swear they even slightly altered the colour timing to be closer to L&O.

Best comedy on television.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Absolutely loooooved this epsiode! I think they nailed the feel of L&O perfectly.
But I have to ask, who is Dick Wolf and why the credit at the end?'

Update: haha....never mind . I read the Slate article above.
Oh, and Michael "Freaking" Ironside FTW!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
That episode RULED!
"Hey guys! I'm majoring in psychology so I can help with-" DUN DUN!
Poor Britta.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Poor Todd.
08b197f9_350x197px-LL-8cf20d81_ebSg9.gif

We need a screen-capture of what was on the "courtroom artist's" sketchpad/doodle. All I could catch was the judge holding what looked like a sword over his head...
In the big trailer they released before the show came back from hiatus (quasi-spoilery if you're super sensitive)...
...there's a scene that appears to be Pierce giving a speech in the cafeteria. On the table beside him was an urn and Star-related paraphernalia.
Also, my life is complete now that I've heard Michael Ironside say "pinkie-swear." Points also for his delivery of, "Objection! She's obviously...ramping up to something."

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Josh Dial /t/314515/community-season-3-thread/180#post_3920455
I actually think this was my favourite episode of the series (though I am slightly biased). They nailed everything from the angles, to the cuts and reaction shots, and the rhythm of the dialogue. I swear they even slightly altered the colour timing to be closer to L&O.

Best comedy on television.

Best episode of the season maybe the series.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Gregorich said:
Best episode of the season maybe the series.
Its in my top 5:
Modern Warfare (first paintball)
A Fistful of Paintballs/For A Few Paintballs More (two part follow up to Modern Warfare)
Pillows And Blankets
Biology 101 - introduction of Inspector Spacetime (hey, I'm a Who fan - has to be in top 5).
Basic Lupine Urology
Although there are lots (and lots) of honorable mentions - the Flashback episode (showing incidents that never occurred), the Parallel realities episode., etc.
David

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Don't forget the "Secret Garden/Trampoline" episode in those lists. "It's going to be a maze" is still one of the greatest lines ever uttered, ever.
And it looks like Stamatopoulos asked to be killed off on the show. Very, very interesting piece.
Warning: The link does have a fairly large spoiler about the direction they take during the rest of this season. Good stuff about the origins and their eventual plans for Starburns, though, as well as the reason Dino wanted off the show.
I don't know if anybody reads Louis CK's blogs, but the Louie episode that involved Louis going over and entertaining the troops was based on real experiences he's had. But when he flew over there, he was allowed to take one person with him, and he chose Dino. There's some great stories on his blog, and I'd love to see Dino show up on Louie, although it's obvious he's not comfortable with that.
Sad to see Starburns gone, but hey, if a meth-lab related death leads to a Breaking Bad episode with Gus...
Nah, still not worth the sacrifice. Gonna miss you, dude. Gosh, now I'm thinking that that one joke at the beginning of the season just turned really freaking DARK:
"So, Starburns, I see you've added a lizard to your top hat and starburns. Am I missing anything?"
"Just the person underneath it all, but no one really seems to notice him, now do they?"
"Noooooooo..."
(Now that joke is just sad.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks