What's new

Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

HAT CLUB!!!

On reflection, I think one of the things I loved about the chloroform gag was that it reminded me of Mystery Team. From Abed's caper-bag, to Annie pulling out the chloroform for a third time, I could definitely see that as a scene in Mystery Team -- or basically just any scene where Donald Glover tries to talk his way out of a situation where someone catches them snooping around.

Actually, I think Mystery Team came to my mind when Glover went:

"I can explain!"

[...]

"Let...me...explain..."

(...as he holds his hand up, like Neo stopping bullets.)

Too awesome.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Found out about this site through Brie's Twitter posts: http://communitycomics.tumblr.com/

I really enjoy celebrity illustrations and caricatures, so I'm hoping it sticks around.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some funny stuff there, like Starburns, and Britta wearing the squirrel costume. Also laughed at the one of Jeff covered in paintball-paint.

The faint "popping" sound when Drew Carey's character shakes hands with Jeff?

This show is the little details. It's the things like that that separate a show like Modern Family from a show like Community, for me, at least. Wednesday's Family was cute, and clever, and heartwarming and all, but Community just makes me fucking laugh out loud. Not that it's a competition or anything...

"You can't sue a stripper."
"Why not?"
"Because she's a stripper. Life ALREADY sued her, and won."

But everybody on Community underplays it just right. Except Ken Jeong, obviously, and sometimes Alison Brie. But it's always in character, so it's fucking genius. This cast is all kinds of brilliant. Of course, the writing and direction are also great.

"My whole body is hurting."

"My whole body is hurting."

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This is my favorite show on television right now. I look forward to this show more than any other show I watch.

Pierce always says the funniest stuff.... " Did you know there is an island where you can hunt people?" and he says it so matter of factly as if others would think it was cool too! I love him! I definitely agree with whoever mentioned about the chloraform scene. Best scene of the episode (with Changs dancing scene a close second).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
To show you just how f***ed up the viewing habits of the American public are, Outsourced got better ratings than Community last week. As someone on another forum pointed out, the only possible reason for this is that people left the TV tuned to NBC after The Office to go take a shit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Britta-Annie oil-fest was reason enough to give this episode a passable assessment. The force-field stuff was just weird.

Abed's subplot taking on the life portion of the cycle of life and death A plot was almost totally in the background, but rewards a second viewing to catch it all.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That shit was indeed gangsta. Several thoughts:
  • "You, with the boobs."
  • The post-credits scene was AMAZING.

• "You just pulled 40 minutes of Anesthesiology out of your ass."

• Duncan's anti-Chang forcefield was one of the funniest things ever.

• Shirley had me laughing out loud with the "Skinny Bitches" comment.
  • Loved Patton Oswalt quietly ranting about Indy 4 as Jeff "lost" his religion.

• You have to respect the testicular fortitude it takes to relegate what, in most sitcoms, would be the solid B-story (Abed and the baby) to a visual gag. Hell, relegating Abed himself to all but two small scenes, basically.

• And, thematically, it gave Abed a sly story about birth to play against the main story of someone dying. (It took me a little while to realize that it was Abed back there, delivering the kid.)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Did anyone notice the woman having a baby in the back of an SUV during the Brita-Annie oil fight? Of course I didn't. But my wife did. I didn't believe her so I rewound it and sure enough, yup, she's pushing out a kid.

Edit: Wait, that was Abed delivering the kid? LOL!!!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I like how often they defy expectations on this show, like putting Abed in the background, dialing down Chang a bit, and letting the terrific John Oliver get some good face time.

"I wanna eat a ghost!" -- Once again, Donald Glover proving that he is a master of comic timing.

Glover has turned from the show's secret weapon, into a weapon of comedic mass-destruction. You could give him one line, and he'd still find a way to make it a highlight.

(Also, I love that Abed made a reference to the aliens from The Abyss.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Speaking of Abed in this episode, am I totally insane for reading this into it, but are the five vignettes depicting Abed's subplot analogous to (and/or the opposite of) Kubler-Ross's "Five Stages of Grief"?

I'm not seeing a perfect fit, but the second one, with the girl's boyfriend threatening Abed, would appear to be "Anger," et cetera.

Also: Children's Tylenol.

That post-credits sequence was ingenious. You know there's something remarkable about Community when it knows how to make even an overexposed celebrity (Betty White) hilarious.

Also, as was said, knowing how to dial back the Chang to the right degree, giving enough material to John Oliver, playing the Abed stuff in the background...this show balances its characters and tone nearly perfectly, which is something you very rarely see these days.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I cannot get enough of this show. From Abed delivery a baby to Brita and Annie girl fighting..... good stuff! I was reading the profiles on the community website and learned this interesting little fact about Chang/Jeong

Jeong's career path started off on a different course. He earned his undergraduate degree at Duke University and went on to attain his medical degree at the University of North Carolina. He completed his internal medicine residence in New Orleans

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by spshultz

Did anyone notice the woman having a baby in the back of an SUV during the Brita-Annie oil fight? Of course I didn't. But my wife did. I didn't believe her so I rewound it and sure enough, yup, she's pushing out a kid.

Edit: Wait, that was Abed delivering the kid? LOL!!!

I totally missed it. I'm going to have to re-watch the entire episode. I am so glad I stuck with this show!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't really get what it's supposed to be about. Is it that Abed helps a girl whose boyfriend won't, and that makes the boyfriend mad until he finally comes around? I think it was an interesting experiment, but I'm not as taken with it as a lot of people I've seen on the internet.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some people I talked to the other day completely missed the Abed-thing the first time through, but when they watched a second time, they finally caught it. When you don't catch it, the last joke between Abed and Shirley makes absolutely no sense.

I've recently been digging through the DVD extras, and they really have their shit together. If you are a huge Community geek like me, you've probably listened to the majority of the commentaries on the first season, and you're amazed by how much thought goes into each episode and the character work. I have tons of respect for Dan Harmon, now.

(Has any show ever done a subliminal B-plot before? Because that's awesome.)

Also...this:

They found just the perfect dose of El Tigre in this episode.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I felt bad for Chang in that scene. Never thought I would. Well, I guess since S01E01, I've been thinking they should throw him a bone and let him in the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks