1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Community - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by joshEH, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The editing of this episode was solid, another stand-out episode.

2. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Two! Three! No Four Fingers!!

3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Outstanding episode. The love scene had me in tears as well.

4. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen

I was laughing so hard I could barely breath!!! The whole silent elf and gnome sex scene was pure genius. Nothing was said but it didn't need to be. And I have to give it to Chevy for his acting ability for making me actually hate his character in this episode. I really wanted to punch Pierce in the face.

Man what an episode. Excelsior!

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The love scene was an instant classic, but I have to say that, having played AD&D all throughout high school (and note that I successfully moved out of my mother's basement, got married, and have kids), I was disappointed at the lack of ultra nerdy AD&D references. Other than Chang being a Drow Elf (I think I have the Fiend Folio somewhere), there wasn't a lot of in-depth RPG humor.

Oh, and we all rolled our own dice. The DM only rolled for our opponents.

The scene at the end reminded me of this one time when the DM we were playing with on a particular campaign was an unimaginative dick, and when we kept coming up with alternate solutions to avoid his traps, he would create artificial roadblocks to force us to take tons of damage anyway. So at one point, I told him I was going after the head vampire with my cleric and a +5 staff specifically to fashioned to turn undead, and he told me the only way he would that would happen is if I rolled a 20, WHICH I TOTALLY FREAKING DID. He had warned me that if I missed I would probably be killed, but it was such a shitty campaign that I did it anyway. He didn't know what to do anymore, so we half-assedly finished up that day, and that was the end of his DM career.

BTW, does anyone still play AD&D?

6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Haven't played since college (also got married, but yet to have kids), but still have all of my 1st and 2nd Edition sourcebooks boxed away in storage. Dragonlance forever, bitches.

And, for those who have never played D&D, this was a VERY simplified portrayal (understandably). The real version includes lots more calculating, pencil-scratching, and dice rolling (there are usually several dice in play at the same time). Battles can take several minutes each.

Mechanics aside, though, the gameplay is very similar to what was shown in the episode -- just streamlined for the viewer's convenience.

I could've watched a three-hour EE of that episode. This show is operating on such a higher level than any other comedy on TV right now, it's ridiculous. My only complaint? The absence of Dean Pelton. I feel like he would have brought something interesting to the AD&D mix.

Loved the re-orchestrated theme song. I also loved the constant sound-effects in the background during Abed's game narration. When I heard the pegasi whinnying just before the final confrontation, I laughed out loud.

While Pierce's cruelty was heightened, it certainly worked wonders for the episode. Chase is a constant highlight for me on this show. I thought the episode ended somewhat abruptly, and that it was a bit strange that Jeff coming up with the name "Fat Neil" was somewhat glossed over, but that's a minor nitpick for such an incredible episode.

Easily, EASILY the best half-hour comedy on television right now.

(Also, "Kickpuncher: Miami" was one of the comic books falling across the screen during the opening montage. Hee!)

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

8. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    That pic goes WAY too well with your sig...

I think they're sort of committing to an a-hole Pierce and toning down Chang for a bit. Good idea for both of them long term. Gives them a chance to change things up and add depth to both.

But, I do have to say as bad as Pierce was they played it as a cry for help/attention really well. Neill understanding this and asking him to play the following week was icing.

This show is really firing right now.

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

holy crap, it wasn't until you mentioned my sig that i realized i had my "hide sigs" turned on in my preferences.

10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Right now it seems that Community can do no wrong. This season has been even better than the first.

11. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Narrator: "And so it was, that the group began to describe themselves walking...and as they described themselves walking, so did Abed confirm that they walked."

Neil: "This sword was one-of-a-kind. It was forged by my ancestors."

Pierce: "I hump it."

Jeff: "Listen, I'll make it up to you. I'll find a fatter Neil!"

Abed: "In about 13 turns, he will die of exposure."

Jeff: "I wait 14 turns."

12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Quote:

Reportedly, Pierce is still hooked on his "Andy Dick" pills, and I've heard rumblings that they're going to touch on this in future episodes. Would certainly go a long way towards explaining his recent behavior.

If Pierce turns out to still be popping pills, and his anger issues are made into a season-long arc, then it should go a long way in alleviating any concerns I might potentially have with the character.

13. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

come to think of it, Pierce was equally maniacal in the Trampoline episode, but it just wasn't as comincal, and wasn't directed at such a helpless victim.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Did anyone buy the CD? It's got just about every song (or maybe every song) that's been performed on the show, from "Getting Rid of Britta" to Troy and Abed doing "Somewhere Out There." I went to iTunes to get the full-length theme but then saw that the whole thing might be worth a purchase.

15. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    For me, Pierce is just too mean. There is no way the "group" would keep him around. His character is actually taking what would otherwise be a great show and making it average for me.

I have been in Neil's shoes. If some old man said those things to me, I would have snapped and probably ended up in jail.

16. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Yet, Pierce's dickishness spoke to all of his insecurities, and was really the key to the episode, because without his drastic villainy, Neil couldn't have had such a heroic moment in the end. He ultimately had much more to overcome.

That said:

If *I* were the DM in this episode, Pierce would've been dead in a minute. If anyone ever acted like a dick OOC (let's see who gets this reference) in a game of mine, I'd have come down on him like the wrath of God. There's no asshole player in existence some Mind-Flayers can't take care of.

...Which is why I've only ever managed to run two games, come to think of it.

17. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I'll just leave this here. It has just a little of what Annie said in this last episode.

Also, NSFW due to language.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I see your point but the show does generally have one foot outside of reality (paintball, zombies, secret garden trampolines) so I can accept it.

19. Chi Chi Rodrigweez

Chi Chi Rodrigweez Auditioning

Albert
    New here (to this thread, anyway), and just wanted to chime in: aside from some of the all-time classics from the 60-70's, there's only been three "modern-era" TV comedies that I've deemed worthy of owning on DVD: Seasons 1 thru 5 of the "The Simpsons", "Seinfeld", and now "Community". It's been a long time since I've actually looked forward to watching a new show because of it's sheer brilliance and precision of craft, and if Community continues the course it's set then it just may well exceed anything that's ever come before it. That may be a bold statement, but the fact that I'm confident in saying it just goes to show how awesome this series is.

20. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Barring changes in how many semesters they choose to cover in a given season, it seems to me that the very premise of Community necessitates that it end within four seasons, because who stays in community college longer than that? Four seasons would be just about perfect.

Usually, I don't mind a show getting old. For me, even The Office at its height was never as good as Arrested Development or this show, so I haven't minded its slide. But it would be a bummer to see Community lose its mojo. On the other hand, this group deserves employment, and I just don't know what kind of roles Danny Pudi can expect to play that could ever compare to Abed. McHale and Alison Brie should do just fine, I suppose.

What do people think is the best length for a show to go on? I'm generally of the opinion that a serialized drama should wrap things up by the fifth year, although The Sopranos and The Shield blow some rather gaping holes in that theory.

In theory, sitcoms should be able to go longer, but I'm hard pressed to think of one I wanted to stick with for that long. I think one more year of 30 Rock will be enough for me, I'm pretty much done with The Office, and The Simpsons is just plain fucking awful these days.

As much as I love Community (and I love it with an intensity that would make a crackhead blush), I kind of feel like four years might be enough for these characters. Am I the only one who feels this way?