What's new

Common Sony Wega Problem? (1 Viewer)

Akira_F

Auditioning
I bought a KV-27FS13 several days ago and it has purple lines up the left and right sides that are extremely aggravating. I went out last night and looked at other Sonys in various sizes and they all exhibited the same thing. Is this caused by the mask or something? Does it go away?

Britton

Screenwriter
I have noticed pink blobs on the sides of my TV whenever there is a white background. However, it only appears against specific shade of white. It is annoying, but I am used to it. I don't know if there is a fix for it.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Akira,

I had 4 of these sets (2 KV-27FS12 and 2 32XBR-450's) and they all had thin "bars" that ran the entire vertical length of the screen for a few inches of area on each side. The bars were green on my set. I also auditioned several sets at various retailers and all had the same thing except the 36 inch XBR-450. The problem was more noticeable in the lower end models but still present even in the highly regarded 32 inch XBR series. Most people don't seem to notice this but I'd be surprised if they didn't see it on a white screen input from Avia or another test disc. It's no coincidence that nearly ALL sets that I looked at had this problem, though it is possible that many people were lucky enough to get good sets.

There is a possible fix that I saw on another forum that claims there is a knob on the inside back of the set that can be adjusted to fix color purity problems and I have read reports of people fixing their "bars". I thought there was only the deflection yoke back there but perhaps there are other control knobs.

p.s. If I can find the post describing the fix I'll send you the link.

You should talk to a Sony Tech about it. You may even get lucky and find one that knows something and doesn't try to say that that is "normal" for the tv and cannot be fixed.

Good luck.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Akira,

I almost forgot to answer the rest of your post - No, it doesn't go away and, in fact, got worse over time in my sets.

Not caused by the shadow mask since Sony's have Aperture Grills instead but who knows, it may be the grill, since it consists of unbroken slits that run the entire vertical height of the tube. Let me know what you find out, since I may go the Wega route again. Good luck.

Akira_F

Auditioning
Well, thank you Britton and Jason.

I need to know if something can be done because I only have about a week left that I can return it. Over the weekend I returned a Toshiba that had it's own problems. I'm about to just give up on flat screens completely and bypass buying a new TV any time soon.

I was thinking about calling Sony, but I've heard too many horror stories. Not too mention I would probably get the guy that knows nothing more than what's in the book in front of him.

The funny thing is my sister has a cheap Admiral flat screen(true flat screen?) that looks fine.

Thanks for the info, Jason.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Akira,

No problem.

Just out of curiosity, which model toshiba did you try first and what was the problem with that one??

Akira_F

Auditioning
It was a 27AF41.

The picture appeared as if it was severely underscanned with the sides wavering about like a stormy ocean and whatever was in the path of it would get slanted inward. You never really noticed it during regular TV or DVD watching but when it came to games you couldn't miss it. I do miss the two S-Video inputs.

Akira_F

Auditioning
I don't know. She bought it several months ago when Montgomery Wards was going out of business.

The Sony is going back, the purple area has become unbearable.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the problem you are experiencing is definitely unacceptable. Sony should apply the same quality-control measures across the board--whether it's a 20-inch set or that damn 40-inch XBR700.

My KV-32FV26 has been performing pretty decently, BTW.

Akira_F

Auditioning
I picked up another Sony and it's doing the same thing(:angry: ), no more Sony for me any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks