What's new

Commercials!!🤬 (1 Viewer)

AlohaTiger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
First world problem alert. Look, I love streaming like everybody else but I’m getting to where I won’t watch a show if it has commercials. I know advertising is one of the bedrocks of the economy but I can‘t even stand to hear a commercial now,( I mute when one comes on now) or change the channel. That’s why I love physical media— apart from some of the trailers that some of studios make you watch (which I fast forward/skip) . What’s weird is that I do love classic tv commercials, especially the holiday ones and the ones that are there for its time. It’s gotten to where I won’t even watch a tv show/movie even for free if it has commercials— I’ll seek out other ways to watch it (library, etc.) I used to be able to put up with but it really takes the nostalgia feeling out of watching a classic tv show when a brand new commercial comes on. What’s worse is that in order to grow my YT channel , I’ll have to rely on —you guessed it—commercials!😅 . I’ll have to bite the hands that feeds.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't mind ads on the free streamers, like FreeVee and such, when they're put in the act breaks. And some of them do. It's like watching live TV. But when they show the same ads repeatedly (like LiMu Emu and Doug and Progressive), it's annoying.

What REALLY grinds my gears is when suddenly, ads pop up on my PAID platform. And speaking of YT ads, there's nothing more fun than sitting through a 60 second ad before a 30 video.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
First world problem alert. Look, I love streaming like everybody else but I’m getting to where I won’t watch a show if it has commercials. I know advertising is one of the bedrocks of the economy but I can‘t even stand to hear a commercial now,( I mute when one comes on now) or change the channel. That’s why I love physical media— apart from some of the trailers that some of studios make you watch (which I fast forward/skip) . What’s weird is that I do love classic tv commercials, especially the holiday ones and the ones that are there for its time. It’s gotten to where I won’t even watch a tv show/movie even for free if it has commercials— I’ll seek out other ways to watch it (library, etc.) I used to be able to put up with but it really takes the nostalgia feeling out of watching a classic tv show when a brand new commercial comes on. What’s worse is that in order to grow my YT channel , I’ll have to rely on —you guessed it—commercials!😅 . I’ll have to bite the hands that feeds.
I'm like you, I detest commercials. My solution for OTA TV was VHS recorders & now DVRs with fast forward capability. For streaming, ad frequency & duration have increased dramatically in the last couple of years but The Roku Channel & Peacock (that put's its ads at the start of a movie) are still ad friendly. Roku has some great live channels too, I've really been enjoying the T2 free tennis channel, it has very few ads. Good luck with your search, let us know what you find?

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Yes! Almost every commercial is a "take a pill, take a pill, take a pill." Plus, some they air several times in just one break. And look, I'm very happy that one handles their diabetes well, but do they have to sing about. And don't even get me started on the double entendres with Richard Carne's Pocket Hose!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What REALLY grinds my gears is when suddenly, ads pop up on my PAID platform. And speaking of YT ads, there's nothing more fun than sitting through a 60 second ad before a 30 video.
If you refresh the page on YouTube, you can usually get a different/shorter ad, or at least one you can skip after a few seconds.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I don't stream or watch hardly any TV but I know what you mean.

Have found commercials at the cinema recently to be extremely annoying.

They really are nauseating to the point of torture.

Don't know if I am just getting old as in my 40s now or that commercials just don't have the creativity they used to but they are unbearable to me.

Can only imagine the pain if you stream a lot.

Is it that commercials are generally targeted at under 30s?

Or can the companies no longer afford talent to market their products?

Or is the potential revenue stream no longer big enough to justify more thoughtful ads?

Dunno but when I have to suffer watching them my perception is that they talk down to me like a 10 year old.

They just appear poorly executed.

Wonder if their sales reflect the decline in marketing content?

AlohaTiger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
The worst is when it tricks you & there is a countdown that lets you skip the commercial with about 10 seconds or so to go , your ready to hit skip , but then the commercial ends anyway,— not cool 😾

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I have not watched an ad for several years. I remember watching ads for 30 minutes in a London cinema many decades ago. Watched John Wayne in a NYC cinema asking for you to contribute to a charity and a person went around collecting money. That was also many decades ago. Ads are just a tax deduction. Sponsors also add extra to the cost of their goods and pretend that they are giving money to a cause but in fact you pay for it when you buy their goods and that is also a tax deduction.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't stream or watch hardly any TV but I know what you mean.

Have found commercials at the cinema recently to be extremely annoying.

They really are nauseating to the point of torture.

Don't know if I am just getting old as in my 40s now or that commercials just don't have the creativity they used to but they are unbearable to me.

Can only imagine the pain if you stream a lot.

Is it that commercials are generally targeted at under 30s?

Or can the companies no longer afford talent to market their products?

Or is the potential revenue stream no longer big enough to justify more thoughtful ads?

Dunno but when I have to suffer watching them my perception is that they talk down to me like a 10 year old.

They just appear poorly executed.

Wonder if their sales reflect the decline in marketing content?
Speaking only for myself, they are mostly annoying in their repetition, length and frequency depending on the platform. Some of the really cheap, fringe channels that play PD films and TV show them every few minutes, to the point where everything is unwatchable. Others, like I said FreeVee, will pop them where commercial breaks are supposed to go for TV shows and it's no worse than any broadcast channel. And, well, it's free so it's fine.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Speaking only for myself, they are mostly annoying in their repetition, length and frequency depending on the platform. Some of the really cheap, fringe channels that play PD films and TV show them every few minutes, to the point where everything is unwatchable. Others, like I said FreeVee, will pop them where commercial breaks are supposed to go for TV shows and it's no worse than any broadcast channel. And, well, it's free so it's fine.
I second this. As long as the commercial breaks are brief and infrequent, they don't bother me at all. Tubi and FreeVee do a good job so far.

What does bother me:

Endlessly repeating the same commercial, even though they've already shown it to me a dozen times in the last 24 hours. This fills me with seething rage, not a desire to buy the product. Not sure what advertisers don't get about this. Hulu is a big offender, or at least used to be.

Extremely long commercials that run more than a minute (sometimes as long as 10 minutes!) on Youtube are extremely obnoxious. Especially annoying when I am listening on headphones and my phone is in another room so I can't quickly skip the ad. No one wants to watch/hear ads that long. Again, this seems counterproductive for advertisers.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Yes! Almost every commercial is a "take a pill, take a pill, take a pill." Plus, some they air several times in just one break. And look, I'm very happy that one handles their diabetes well, but do they have to sing about. And don't even get me started on the double entendres with Richard Carne's Pocket Hose!
Have been noticing too many TMI (too much info) commercials on what a person does in the bathroom or commercials written by a 10 year kid. :(

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Endlessly repeating the same commercial, even though they've already shown it to me a dozen times in the last 24 hours. This fills me with seething rage, not a desire to buy the product. Not sure what advertisers don't get about this. Hulu is a big offender, or at least used to be.

This was a big problem for me on Tubi, when it came to PetSmart and Greenies dog treats (I watched it some when I was staying with my sister in Alabama earlier this year); I mean, let's face it-- I already know that PetSmart has Greenies dog treats, but quite often, they'd play that commercial over and over again (I have cats, so quite honestly I don't know what they were thinking when they tried to sell me on dogs and dog treats).

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Some commercials feature a gimmick that is more memorable than the product the ad was supposedly touting.

I mentioned in another thread a while back about a streamer that had Cimarron Strip episodes listed at an uncut running time of 76 minutes. The DVD set and the Encore Westerns run times were about 73 minutes or less. But this streamer plopped in commercials at random, not at the proper breaks, and lots of them to boot. My friend and I slogged through a favorite episode with our boy Warren Oates, but the random commercials took us out of it, and if it was truly 76 minutes we were too flustrated (what we Southerners say when we're both flustered and frustrated) to notice it.

And Angelo's comment above reminds me of a revolting Gillette commercial I saw while streaming something that I have not seen on satellite channels.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Some commercials feature a gimmick that is more memorable than the product the ad was supposedly touting.

I mentioned in another thread a while back about a streamer that had Cimarron Strip episodes listed at an uncut running time of 76 minutes. The DVD set and the Encore Westerns run times were about 73 minutes or less. But this streamer plopped in commercials at random, not at the proper breaks, and lots of them to boot. My friend and I slogged through a favorite episode with our boy Warren Oates, but the random commercials took us out of it, and if it was truly 76 minutes we were too flustrated (what we Southerners say when we're both flustered and frustrated) to notice it.

And Angelo's comment above reminds me of a revolting Gillette commercial I saw while streaming something that I have not seen on satellite channels.
Were there any of the commercials you didn't care for?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
The commercials during Cimarron Strip weren't so bad, but they turned us off because of their random placement. When the show came back on and ran a few minutes, the proper commercial-break fadeout would occur, and then the episode would resume, only to have an ad plop in at random in the middle of dialogue.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The commercials during Cimarron Strip weren't so bad, but they turned us off because of their random placement. When the show came back on and ran a few minutes, the proper commercial-break fadeout would occur, and then the episode would resume, only to have an ad plop in at random in the middle of dialogue.

That's horrible-- you think you're done with all the ads, and then another one has to spoil the fun just as you're getting back in.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
During TV's golden years, 1950's to 1970's, commercials for the most part were pretty decent, some were actually entertaining. Nowadays it's all junk.
I think creatively goofy commercials with catchy jingles continued into the 90s. After the jingles went away I started to lose interest. There's still a fun ad once in a while today, but the hit rate is low.

What I hate most is the consumer testimonial type of ad, common for cars, telecom carriers, etc. The fact that Joe Shmoe and his family (who have been flown out on the sponsor's dollar) says they like the product tells me nothing about how good it may be. Show don't tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hebecz
Recent bookmarks