What's new

Commercials that just irritate you.... (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
/forum/thread/230022/commercials-that-just-irritate-you/510#post_3739239
I just figured the kid must get beat up and chased home from school a lot and this time mom was ready?
I'm late to the party, but that commercial got in my mind and under my skin for a while; I couldn't figure it out. The narration is the kid is racing his buddies home. But the visuals show the little guy running from bigger kids; hiding at a tree and looking behind him, and then diving into a minivan for refuge. And his buddies don't do any high-fives or "good race". This is not a friendly race among pals.

What I concluded was the original ad, pitched and filmed, was of a kid taking refuge in the mini-van. He's running from bullies and gets home to safety just in the nick. And the ad would tout the safety, comfort, and other castle-like virtues of the minivan. But after completion, but before going national, they realized what a monumentally stupid idea it was to pitch a minivan ad centered around a kid running from fear of bullies. The ad already shot and ready to go on the air, they cut the dialog, put a new framing narration to spin it as a fun race, and put it on the air.

It's a really strange ad. I wish I could get learn if my speculation is true.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It IS aggravating. My original link is now dead. The video was removed. Here's a crappy version someone else has posted:

THIS BLOGGER also agrees and does a COMPREHENSIVE breakdown of the plot! Hysterical! And others who respond also agree.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the support guys

Most commercials are ignorable; some are awful; and a few are just great. But this one was weird and unsettling as as it verbally told me a happy story but visually told a dark, socially relevant, and melancholy story.

And I agree with that blogger on "Oh, yeah, and it literally gave birth to every other minivan". Bugged me too!
(Maybe I just over think these things... )

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I hate those Toyota Highlander commercials with the obnoxious kid boasting about how much more hip he is than his parents. Thinks-he-knows-it-all brat.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
RobertR said:
I hate those Toyota Highlander commercials with the obnoxious kid boasting about how much more hip he is than his parents. Thinks-he-knows-it-all brat.
Maybe he should talk about how he hates his parents for endangering his life every time they drive anywhere. Never know when the accelerator will stick! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by RobertR

Yet he apparently leaves the house with that dorky-looking little girl hair.

I don't get the one with the rattlesnake that has a toy rattle taped to his tail, then the rabbits laugh at him.

He may have a toy rattle, but I'm sure his fangs still work. I'd bite that rabbit right on his laughing ass. That would shut up the rest of them in a hurry.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Windows 7 has some very annoying commercials.
AT&T has some too.
But the worst right now is the damn mannequin dummies of Old Navy!
And we are getting ready for the worst of all... Christmas themed ones and companies mutilating classic Christmas songs.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Forgot another that irritates me... nationwide with the doofus with the big blue phone on his hip.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ugh, a new one, the Canon camera commercial where the couple take a picture in Barcelona, it's blurry so they fly all the way back to Barcelona just to take the same picture again with a Canon camera.

How insane/obnoxious is that??

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Malcolm R said:
Yet he apparently leaves the house with that dorky-looking little girl hair.

I don't get the one with the rattlesnake that has a toy rattle taped to his tail, then the rabbits laugh at him.

He may have a toy rattle, but I'm sure his fangs still work. I'd bite that rabbit right on his laughing ass. That would shut up the rest of them in a hurry.
Plus, a snake's rattler is primarily a defensive mechanism to scare off predators. Why would it be rattling when he is hunting rabbits, unless it wants to scare them away..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't you understand the danger of bunnies? That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is that bunny farting in that ad? That's what it sounded like to me on the internet, though it was less distinct on the TV version. I found it distasteful, but I might have imagined it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hate the current Hyundai Holiday commercials. The woman is singing christmas songs, the guy acts like a moron. They probably spent a lot of money to make this commercial look like a low-budget, amateur local car dealer ad. I have to change the channel every time it comes on. It's awful.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Ugh, a new one, the Canon camera commercial where the couple take a picture in Barcelona, it's blurry so they fly all the way back to Barcelona just to take the same picture again with a Canon camera.

How insane/obnoxious is that??
Pretty sure they have an old picture of another couple that they go to re create.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a few weeks late with this one...

But, just before Black Friday, Target had a series of commercials featuring an obnoxious blond woman. Just awful. Definitely made me NOT want to shop there.

Thankfully, they seem to have ditched the campaign.

==============

And, yeah, the commercial about the couple flying to Barcelona for the photo is really, really bad.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
TonyD said:
Pretty sure they have an old picture of another couple that they go to re create.
I already figured that out but you know what, I still hate, it's just such a pretentious thing to do, fly all the way there to take a damn picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks