Commercials in Theatres

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Getson, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I'll take a chance.

I hate being forced to watch commercials when I go to the theatre. If I were to go on a normal night, it would cost me close to $12 (Canadian) to watch a movie. I remember, not that long ago, when the price to see a movie was around $7.50. Why is it that even though the movie folks are advirtising, prices keep increasing?

I've heard of other places, like Calgary, where it cost upwards of $18 to go to the theatre. How can they get away with charging so much money??

IMHO, the sound in my HT is just as good as any theatre around my area. All the above combined is why I got into HT in the first place.

Is there anything, we the public, are able to do to get our local theatres to stop playing commercials?

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

First off, you're in the right section of the forum. [​IMG]
    Secondly,

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I appreciate the lack of commercials, and it's a little annoying to see more and more of them.
    However, I come from Sweden and there were no commercials on TV when I grew up, so seeing commercials before a movie was fun and part of the tradition. [​IMG] Of course, those commercials were normally of the "Super Bowl" variety, good commercials with some artistic value.
    /Mike

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

IMO I don't mind 1 or 2 commercials before the previews start, but when theaters start running MTV like commerical breaks where they're over 5 minutes, then I begin to get annoyed.

Paul

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The only advertising so far in my favorite theater is limited to the "slide show" projected before the movie starts (trivia, ads, etc.). Then it's two previews, no more, then on to the feature.

I went to a different theater this weekend and there were about 15 minutes of previews (at least 6 different films) before the damn movie started. I couldn't believe it!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Every commercial theater in Los Angeles first shows ads by the Los Angeles Times.

There are going to be more and more commercials, too. It's an irreversible trend--in much the same way that network "station bug" logos are.

(And prices for movie tickets in L.A. are at $10 a pop. Home theater looks more and more attractive all the time, eh?)

7. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I actuallt like the L.A. Times ad...the first time I see it. But after having see that dancing troll or the guy jumping out of the burning building a hundred times it gets a little old. I They also did a few that were faux news reports, one with a kid's foot stuck in a gopher hole and another about an old lady who wouldn't turn....pretty funny. I guess if the ads are entertaining and made for the theater they are generally pretty good ( I remember some pretty cool Nike ads as well). Now, if they ever start having commercial breaks DURING themovie.... [​IMG]

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If you want to stop in-theater advertising, contact the advertisers and tell them you will not buy their products as long as you see their commercials in movie theaters. Sadly, one theater I worked at had slides added and got very little complaints about them; I worked at another place that also had on-film commercials at the start of the show and they had several complaints about those but not enough to warrant getting rid of them.

9. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

The thing I hate about pre-movies commercials is that they all try to look like actual movie trailers, but never fool anyone into believing that they are. At theaters around here they show an an anti-domestic violence spot before movies, and even that tries to look like a cinematic trailer. Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing "Wife Beater" the movie, but it turned out to be just an ad. Darn. The sad thing is that I'm so used to these types of ads that sometimes I mistake cheaper-looking trailers for commercials. The Spiderman teaser with the bank robbery, for example, surprised me by being an actual movie and not a Mountain Dew commercial.

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I hate the ad 'slide shows' they show between shows. I want to enjoy my popcorn bucket of death and gallon of cherry coke, but then I see an ad for the neigborhood liposuction place and I get grossed out and self concious. Dammit!

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Hey, I've got the Fandago add memorized. And I say it along with the commercial every time, much to my girlfriends dismay. Of course, I also did this with the Britney Spears Pepsi commercial, and the little Pepsi Girl add.

At least they've stopped showing the Mountain Dew goat add.

13. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The theaters that I go to have about 5 - 10 minutes of trivia and ads then a few minutes for commercials that are really annoying and then probably about another 5 minutes for trailers.

I don't mind the trivia and ads or the trailers, but the commercials are just terrible and really annoying.

14. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

These damn commercials just reenforce the belief that some people have that makes them feel they're at home just watching a really big TV. Hence, the phone use, misbehaving kids, and lack of concern for anyone but themselves. Thank God for HT.

15. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    This is the MAIN reason I don't go to movies...seen maybe 4 or 5 in the last 5 years. And when the commercials are on..I simply boo loudly. Turns out, the guy who directed Happiness does the same thing!!! Said so on Conan a while back!

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Scooter, I admire you, but I can't give up the theater unless I can get myself a nice 30ft screen and 35mm projector [​IMG]

17. Jacob Perry

Jacob Perry Stunt Coordinator

Fandango will haunt me forever! I go to 2 or 3 movies a week, so guess what I see 2 or 3 times a week.

Death to Mr Fandango!

18. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Lately i've noticed my local theater likes to use the commercials to calibrate the projector. The first one will come up cropped or out of focus or something and it'll be fixed by the next one (or sometimes not). At least now they get butchered in place of the trailers. I'm sure the advertisers would love to know how much of their money is going towards focusing, of course the millions of annoyed people screaming at their goddamn ads doesn't hurt either! They probably never go to movies as they can afford to buy a full-size theater themselves and just graph it to their home. They need their own Theater Home Forum.

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    [best Jon Lovitz "Critic" voice]
    Commercials in movie theaters?
    Jay Sherman here: "It STINKS!"

20. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Jeff..well, the outdoor screen is 20'wide...so all I need is true HiDef and at that point, I might be able to get you to come around to my way-O-thinkin'! [​IMG]