What's new

Commercial Mowers (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Are there any landscapers that can give some advice on commercial mowers? I have 2.75 acres of grass. It takes me around 4 hrs to mow it using a riding mower with a 42" deck. This summer I am having a service cut it. It takes 1 person around an hour using a zero turn mower to cut my lawn.

I would like to buy a commercial mower so that I can cut it myself. I had a line on a scag 3-wheel hydro mower with a 61" deck. It had 1300 hrs on it and they wanted $1,800 for it. It got sold out from under me to a person that bought all of the sellers equipment.

I was also looking at new Exmark z turns. But, I don't want to pay $6,000+ for a mower.

What should I look for in a used mower and what brands are well respected? Is getting a used mower from a business a bad idea? I know my way around small engines and I am mechanically inclined so I could pretty much fix most issues myself.

Also, when would be the best time to buy? In the fall or in the begining of the mowing season?

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I have always heard good things about John Deere mowers. They have some very large models that are recommended for your size of yard. Home depot sells John Deere's. I would also look into bush hog mowers or dixons.

JordanS

Second Unit
We have a Bobcat Zero Turn Mower that is oustanding. We have about 4 acres of total grass and it takes about 2 hours to cut it. The model we have is the ZT-219.

We also have a big John Deere 2210 w/210 loader that has a 62 inch deck. However, the machine is really heavy and isn't the best for cutting grass.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
We have a Grasshopper 721D with a 52" deck and can mow about 3 acres in 2 1/2 hours. This is definately a commercial mower.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
You could look at a Dixie Chopper touted as "The worlds fastest mower" I have seen commercial guys around here on the things and they do scoot. Almost looks like too much fun to be work.

www.dixiechopper.com

They have a dealer locator.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Mark,
Check out used Gravely mowers. My grandparents owned a nursery and they are still using their Gravely's after 30+ years of hard use. My uncle rebuilds them (engine refurbs, etc.) and parts are still available. Highly recommended...

I've mowed over extremely deep grass and briars w/o any problem... these mowers are not short on power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks