Commercial Digital Theaters?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matt Bahnson, May 31, 2005.

1. Matt Bahnson

Matt Bahnson Auditioning

I'm curious to know where I can find out what theaters around the country have digital projectors and are recieving movies in digital form? Is there a web site I can look through or does someone happen to know a lot of them? I live in the Middle Tennessee area and I'm willing to make the drive... I just don't know where they are.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Matt, you need to ask that question here in the Movies section. Best of luck.

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there is a listing at www.theforce.net for the digital screenings for episode 3.. I saw it over the weekend and its just rocks. like watching a dvd movie on the big screen! I had to drive 3 hours for it.

JACOB

4. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

For a listing by state (and not tied to the release of any particular feature), go here and click on the link for "DLP Theaters".

M.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Saw EPIII and the picture was simply incredible. I'll never go back, all my movies in theaters will be at the Ziegfield in NY. Batman Begins is the next movie and then I hope Fantastic Four will be the next one.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

(Sound of head banging on desk)

8. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

If you like the old dlp projectors, wait till you see the new one that kodak came out with. I have two theaters near me that have dlp projectors. One had the older Texas Instrument variety, while the other just recieved the first Kodak next generation. The new kodak blows the older generation away. The colors are more vivid and watching the opening scroll, I didn't notice that tv screen look on the letters for the new one. I can't wait to see what they come out with in the next 10 years. Lucas didn't get his way with the prequels, but I think in the next 10 years you will see more and more theaters go digital. Guys like Roger Ebert have to just accept the fact that digital is here to stay.

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Gee Michael, how do find out what projector the theater is using?

10. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Found answer in below post.

11. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

12. Michael Ballack

That would be the one. The actual theater itself sucks(no stadium seating, uncomfortable chairs, and somewhat small) but the sound and the kodak dlp make you forget your surroundings when it starts. I'm catching my sixth and seventh viewing of ROTS this week.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/di...terviewP.shtml

That's a link to an article about the new kodak dlp projector. No wonder I was wowed, it has 3 million pixels to the texas instruments 1.2 million pixels. Imagine what the technology is going to be like in 10 years. wow. [​IMG]

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG]

I was gonna say something but refrained from posting. One of the most bizzare statements I have ever read on HTF.

--
    H

14. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I think that was supposed to be a compliment about the lack of dust, scratches, bad splices, and the like.

On the other hand, I've seen 2K DLP presentations.

I saw SW-III in anamorphic 1280x1024.

Neither are acceptable.

I was in the middle of a medium sized house (~250 seat) and the pixels were way too big. That's not counting the fact that the image source sucked (1440x817 source. Really. That's what they had available from the CineAlta camera that they shot it with.)

A 2K projector would have been acceptable for a 500 seat houses? Especially for the people sitting within 30' of the screen? There are definite advantages to a film print there...

Now, I have seen 4K projectors (not DLP.) They're very nice prototypes, and if the DLP paradigm is followed, we'll see 'em in theaters by 2010. There's a chance that they'll be there sooner - a lot of the infrastructure issues have already been attacked. (not, aprticularly, solved, but they've started on 'em.)

Leo

15. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Okay, Im confused now after reading the article Michael B posted. It mentions 2K as what Kodak is using, but these are supposedly next generation? I thought next-gen was 4K?

These projectors are being used with 2K (2048x1080) already too. Barco D-Cine .

Christie CP2000 .

4K is 4096x2160 max rez.

What you need to know about digital projection

Okay, after reading the 'what you need to know' article, I get the difference. TI DLP (Barco,Christie) vs JVC-D-ILA (Kodak). So there arent any 4K in cinemas yet. Any 2007 Pixar movie should drive that to theaters.

16. Michael Ballack

I never said the new Kodak one was 4k. I just know that I've seen many movies on the older generation dlp, and this new kodak digital projector, which I think is not dlp but just digital, looks better then the older generation texas instruments. I can't wait to see what 4k looks like. [​IMG]

17. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

All I know is I saw Star Wars Ep. III on a Barco DLP projector in Greenville, SC (drove over two hours), and I have to say that it was the BEST picture I have EVER seen. Coupled with the fact that this theater was THX approved, I have to say that this was the best viewing I've ever had (can't say the best over all because the theater is new and the chodes working there don't know how to run a theater yet). Digital is the way to go and if you don't think so my bet is you haven't been to a digital screening.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Pay up.

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Adam, I thinking about going to the Camelot this weekend just to see Epis. III -- about 75 minutes away. I'm glad you enjoyed it this much b/c I was wavering a bit.

I saw this last Friday, but I was horrified at how badly scratched and damaged the Print was at the Mulitplex -- their usually pretty good, but this thing had 30-50 vertical 'Scratch' lines throughout the whole movie. If I hadn't been with my family who can't even tell when the Tint on the TV is 90% to one extreme or the other there is no way I would stayed. I've seen 3 month old movies at the $1 Theater in better shape.

Is the Main Theater still under construction b/c I know they were racing the clock to get it finished in time for the SW opening. I've read a couple conflicting reports -- is this classic Stadium seating of just offset seat on a sloped floor?

Any other suggestions or critique of the seating arrangements or general advice. I read an interview with the owner who is trying to get permission to show the other SW in the DLP Theater -- don't know if he was talking 1-6 or just the Prequel Trilogy.

20. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Jason Seaver, please enlighten us. We're assuming this a non-digital screening of a digital movie at a commercial theater. EPIII was not shot on film or at least the Lucas preferred version was not, if I understand correctly. If im wrong about this, please also elighten me.

-Richard