Comments/suggestions on Toshiba DST-3000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnD_R_Rocha, Jan 20, 2002.

1. JohnD_R_Rocha

I'm interested in buying an HD STB receiver for my Toshiba 57H81 HD-ready RPTV. Currently I receive DirecTV with a WIMPY Sony SAT-B50 receiver but I definitely want to upgrade to an HD signal for DTV and OTA stuff.
    I know about the Toshiba DST-3000 and my brother has the Mitsu model STB. I've seen other models from Sony and Panasonic at various HT stores, BestBuy, CircuitCity etc. Comments on which STB is the better deal? Anybody know of newer models from Toshiba or other manufacturers coming out in the next 6 months? Anyone hear of price drops on the horizon for current STBs?
    Income tax returns are coming and a new DTV HD dish + STB would be a nice purchase if the model and price are right.[​IMG]

2. Mike Tondreault

Mike Tondreault Auditioning

I have been using the DST-3000 hooked up to a 50H81 for a few months now and am very happy with it. I understand that the Samsung appears to have a stonger tuner than the Tosh for OTA (of course no sat available) but other than the weaker tuner that sent me up messing with the antennae quite often, and still not finished, I have been happy. Of course, the menus are slow and and also the guide, but that is typical of every other D-Tivo or sat receiver in my house. Keep in mind it will not output 720p.

3. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I use the DST-3000 with my 50HX81 and find the combination to be especially nice because the TV remote has ALL of the functions of the STB remote. Thus, I never have to even use the latter. That makes life just a little easier!