Comments on the SFS Mahler SACD's?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Fisher, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Has anyone had a chance to check out the San Francisco Symphony (Michael Tilson Thomas) SACD releases of Mahler's symphonies? I believe they currently have released 7 of his 9 with plans to finish the rest soon. I picked up No. 7 last night but haven't had a chance to sit down and check it out yet.

2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I have only purchased the Mahler 1st thus far, but I consider it the to be sonically the finest recording I have ever heard. MTT is comparible to other interpreters which I have owned, including Walter and Solti.

5. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

6. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

So much Mahler...
    Thanks for the comments Dennis, I think I'm gonna stick with this series for a while, they put a lot of effort into packaging and presentation, and I finally got around to listening to the 7th, sounds fantastic.

7. john-Ka

john-Ka Auditioning

there are a few thinqs to say... them are just great

8. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

I have them all. The sound quality is spectacular. The performances vary. They seem almost too smooth, glossing over some of the finer points in Mahler's scores that give the works their primal intensity.

I have all the recent Boulez CD releases as well and enjoy them just as much. The detail in these recordings is just remarkable.

The original Bernstein, NYPO recordings were my introduction to Mahler back in the early 70s. The orchestra wasn't great, but Bernstein put so much (some say too much) of his own emotion into the performances that they would leave one totally drained at the end.

I say get 'em, and the Chailly, and the Zander, and the ...

Greg

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bump.

This is exactly one of my areas of concern, Greg. Would you make a similar criticism of the Zander/Philharmonia interpretations, or is he less "guilty" in this regard?

How edifying and accessible do you find the second disc of the Zander releases, in which he talks about the work? Would you consider that a significant "pro" for the Zander releases for someone who is fairly new to Mahler?

10. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Wow, I had forgotten this thread even existed. I only have Zander's recording of the 5th and haven't listened to it in a while. I will very soon and get back. The Boulez performances are a bit sterile, but that may be because we have become accustomed to conductors adding to a score that already tells them everything they need to know about performing it. After all Mahler was first and foremost a conductor. He hated seeing works butchered by conductors who took too many liberties. But he also rescored all the Beethoven symphonies so go figure.

Paul, thanks for resurrecting this thread. Anytime Mahler can be thoughtfully discussed it's always worth the time and effort. I'll try to post my favorites next time (out of the recordings I own).

Greg

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I look forward to your (and others'!) comments, Greg.

12. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Listened to both the Chailly and Nagano Eights on Thursday. You have to know that I can't do this without interruptions and other distractions. That would be three hours of pure pleasure of which I have been denied for lo these many years. I still prefer the Nagano. Maybe its the wonderful SACD recording over the DVD-A of Chailly, but I doubt it. They are both superb performances, really. Nagano just felt more "comfortable", if I may use that expression. I've listened to my Solti/Chicago LP many, many times. The performance is impressive in its intensity, but ultimately uninvolving and, to me, lacking soul.

Greg

13. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

I'd like to recommend this site/list to anyone who fancies themself as a Mahler afficionado/addict/fanatic. I subscribed for years and probably will again soon. There is more information here than one can absorb. What's lacking is any analysis of Mahler's music from a compositional standpoint. It's all about the performances/recordings. Everyone concedes that his music is great, but nobody talks about how he did it.

http://listserv.uh.edu/archives/mahler-list.html

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have most of them and they have been unformly excellent. Pure DSD recording chain. I especially like the Mahler 6.

15. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thx, Greg, esp for comments re the Chailly 8th DVD-A; had been wondering about that one.

Lee do you have any of the Zander Telarcs? Comparative comments to the MTT SFSO's?

16. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    [Delete dupe post.]

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    [Delete dupe post.]

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The Zanders are good also but I prefer the SFS performances.

19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I have all the hi-res m/c Zander discs on Telarc, and they were responsible for turning me on to Mahler. Each of them have the additional CD of commentary by Zander. He's fascinating, and the information he shares is simply enriching.

Sonically I find these Telarc discs outstanding in every way, although I would rank them as follows (best on top):

Symphony #3
    Symphony #1
    Symphony #6
    Symphony #5

20. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor