Comments on the Donation Drive

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
As of this morning we have close to $3,500. That is fantastic.
We will be running this donation drive for a couple of weeks so there is no rush if you can't send anything in at this time. We are getting very close to being able to purchase our new server thanks to everyone who has donated. Ron and I cannot believe the great turn out from our membership and the outpouring of support.
Parker

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well I've happily made my donation. The amount individual members give is not as important as the fact that they donate.
Holy Smokes Wayne, you're making us $10 guys look bad!
No matter how much you can afford to donate, its worth doing so if you find HTF to be useful. There are lots of members and it would only take $10 each from a fraction of the membership to pay for the new server. HTF is the most useful and intelligent forum I have found on the net and I'm happy to contribute.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Sent mine in a couple of days ago. Just had a thought; I'll bet the folks who don't check in here daily like us addicts aren't even aware of the donation drive yet but would be happy to donate if they were. Would it make sense for Ron to send one of his occasion emails to the membership list?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well, I think that sending an e-mail would bother some people. it wouldn't bother me, but some people would say that they shouldn't have to get sent e-mails like this. I think having the announcements are Great! But an e-mail might be considered spam by a few. But at this rate, the number of people who have donated is great, and shouldn't be too long before they can get the new server.
Just my .02c

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Please make the P.O. Box announcement very visible as I don't have a credit card either.
Thanks,
Seb
------------------
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
Few mortal eyes have seen the light
That lies there ever, long and bright.
Galadriel! Galadriel!
Clear is the water of your well;
White is the star in your white hand;
Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

Andy_S

Second Unit
As a side note:
Is there any ethical problem with the HTF taking donations from studios or studio reps? I'm not sure if they have yet or not, but if the situation comes up, should the HTF take the money?
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
It doesn't matter where the money comes from. It is a donation. Not a subscription. Nothing is gained from the donations other than to know that you are donating to the purchase of a new server for this forum that all benefit from.
Again I want to thank all that have donated for the purchase of a new server for HTF. You guys are great!
Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am just curious here. The checks that we get sent to our PO Box (when I get it open) that come from foreign (to the US) accounts how does this work on exchange rates? I mean if you donate $25 how does that work out for everyone involved?
I have never gotten a check from outside the US before so I don't know how this works.
Parker

Steve Tannehill

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
That's a good question, Parker. I know that when exchanging currency, there are usually service fees involved.
Before accepting a check from our non-US visitors, it would probably be a good idea to call your bank and ask what they charge, if anything, to process a check drawn on a foreign bank, or if they will do it at all.
- Steve
------------------

Got Remo?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
What about International Money Orders? Like from the Post Office, you can get them in US Funds almost anywhere, right?

fredl

Agent
Packy:
An international check is made out to a currency of choice. The fees involved in this should only be on the senders side. I have paid for magazine subscriptions this way, from Sweden there's a fixed cost of about $10 to get the check then about $10 to send it with registered mail. If the donation is small it would be a better idea to send money and sponsor HTF instead of the bank. I've sent numerous payments for ebay transactions this way and the money hasn't gotten lost so far.
/Fredric

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
And IMO will cost about £10 in the UK plus whatever value you want it to be. I tried to get one last year and found it a total pain in the arse to organise (perhaps I was just unlucky).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Everyone wants the Donations page more visible, but at the rate the drive is going it looks like you'd get too much money if you made it anymore visible! j/k
I've heard how hard it is to keep a high-traffic website running (especially money-wise), it's a good thing that a link to the page is on the forum index. Good luck!
Scott

Rodney

Premium
Just found out about this Donation Drive in the newsletter. I am more than happy to send you a donation via PayPal. I hope you have enough to get a great server, plus any additional wish list items to make this the best forum on the net.
Quote:
One note. As far as vBulletin is concerned. We will be using UBB to start with and look into migrating over to vBulletin. The main issue that I have with vBulletin is that it had a lot of problems with people that use Netscape and IE on the MAC not being able to use it and people using WebTV not being able to use it. We will see how that goes after we get moved over to the new server.
As a Mac user, I would like you to go back to vBulletin. I liked the features it gave us, and I did not experience a problem with it using the latest version of IE. If you need any beta testers in the future, let me know.
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
PayPal is great for eBay and such stuff, too, so I hope no one hesitates to sign up!
I've sent in my donation and was delighted to do so. The best thing about this fund drive is that you don't interrupt "normal programming" with long-winded pleas for money!
I hope Ron and Parker are soon over the top!
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thanks for the information on foreign, to the US, checks.
So far as of this morning we have close to $4,000 collected. So we pretty much have what we need to get the server.
We are going to continue the drive though to build up an additional backup for future upgrades so we don't have to do this type of drive again in the near future.
Again thanks for all the donations that have come in. You are all fantastic and have made it possible for us to get a new server for the forum that will take us into the future.
Parker

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Just made my donation. Keep up the good work. Home Theatre is my hobby and HTF is my main source of HT Info.
Good Luck!
JohnG

------------------

PomingF

Second Unit
Packy & Ron, I would love to help on the server and actually signed up for PayPal except I have no idea how to use it. For a while I thought I was looking at my bank statement.
Call me stupid or old fashion, I rather drop you guys a check in the mail as soon as you get the account/address figured out.
P. S. So far all my online/mail order purchases have been via CC, cashier or personal checks.
Drop me an e-mail or message whenever you are ready.
PF

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iTomhHD