Comments on Tempest sealed Mid or High Q Alignment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_T, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi,

My Tempest is sounding better and better as I listen to it. My wife isn't really happy with the large box though. I may have to consider going with a sealed alignment mid or high Q for size. I'd like to hear from those who have built one of these alignments.

How is the low extension...I know it won't be like the vented alignment but how low will it hit? I'm about 75% home theater listening and the High Q seems to be quite nice for that.

Could some of you wise people tell me a little about what I will be missing and/or gaining as far as performance? I'm learning slowly!

I'd calculate the performance myself but I'm not very well versed in that area of speaker design...I'm more of a "give me the plans and I'll build it" kind of guy but I really want to learn.

Darren

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

What size box can she live with?

You could still do a vented alignment in as little as 6-7 cu ft.

I had a Tempest in a .7Q sealed alignment (~4 cu ft) and it sounded great, especially for music. Room gain makes up for some low end but not what you're getting now. Figure it'll be 10 dB down at 20 Hz....maybe down 4-5 dB with room gain.

Pete

3. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

For a small cabinet, try and get an amp with built in boost of 10-12dB at 10Hz, it will make all the difference.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Griff

Is there a way to calculate the precise dB's and frequency in order to, say, get the F3 at 20Hz using a small cabinet?

5. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

hmmm, not that i know of. Ill do some research and get back to you.