Comments on proposed setup.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimTurtino, Dec 27, 2002.

1. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

This is a standard "Here's what I'm thinking of doing" post. I'd appreciate any and all input.
    Here's the restrictions:
    It's a smallish listening area (12' x 13') in a larger room. Big speakers aren't going to happen, thanks to a certain love of my life. [​IMG] Front proj is almost certainly out of the question; not only is size an issue, but so is budget and ambient light. I will probably be buying most of my stuff from Circuit City, since I work there and can buy significantly lower than retail, unless someone can convince me that I'm turning down a _great_ deal elsewhere for similar $$$. Video quality is probably slightly more important than audio, but both are fairly important.
    What I currently have:
    Panny CT-27SF35W
    Aiwa DD-ready shelf system
    Pnny DVD-CP72S
    MOT DTC 5100 Digital/HD Cable box (from Comcast)
    1 random VCR
    JVC HRS39112 U S-VHS VCR
    Where I'm going, in order:
    Onkyo TXSR700 -- Is this overkill for the speakers (see below)? I'm planning on keeping this for a good long while and upgrading speakers when I move into a new house and can build the HT room from scratch. I really like the sheer number of inputs and will probably be using video switching (others that use the system are remote control challenged) until such time as I get the Pronto, so I also appreciate the RCAS-vid conversion.
    vs.
    The 600 or the 800. All seem to have enough power for the room and good enough sound quality (certainly for the speakers)-- the only real question is whether I want the extra goodies or can do without the zone 2
    Polk Audio RM7200s -- Subwoofer doesn't go down far enough, and the whole system isn't quite as tight as I'd like, but it meets my other constraints (size and $$$).
    vs.
    Polk Audio RM6700s w/ Polk PSW404 Subwoofer. I'd like to pair a better subwoofer, but then I'd lose some mid-bass, so I'm going to have to be satisfied without a lot of low bass (and some directionality with the bass I do have). Again, these will definitely be upgraded when I have a dedicated HT room.
    Some sort of relatively small RPTV-- I'm leaning towards the Sony KP46WT500 because I like the PIP functionality and it seems to have an okay reputation with the ISF calibrators. That's the farthest purchase away, so it's currently a very small lean. [​IMG] I need to look at some calibrated screens
    Eventual upgrade paths:
    SACD Player (or universal w/ SACD + DVD-A?) -- nice thing about the Sony is it has two 5.1 channel inputs...
    D-VHS
    HTPC
    Pronto(perhaps other brand, but something like this)
    DVD recorder
    Front projection (not until I can build the room for it)
    Better Speakers (as above)
    Thanks in advance for your careful and kind consideration,
    h Me

2. TimTurtino

*bump for new info*

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    YES that receiver is WAY overkill for those speakers.

Polk doesn't really make any outstanding subs, and I don't particularly like their satellite systems either. If you are going budget Polk and get a discount, go with RTi28s and a CSi30. A decent sub can be had for ~$400 and that will get you a much better system than the 7200 for about the same price, not including your discount (you will probably need stands in either case though).

You will find much better subs on this forum than at Circuit City. The two most notable: Adire Rava and HSU Research VTF-2. You won't get your discount, but you will get a better sub.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tim - i worked at cc for a couple of years
    do you work in the audio department? i'd be surprised if you did and would still compare an onkyo to a sony. [​IMG]
    take the onkyo and don't look back.
    i also have polk speakers, but mine are classified as bookshelves (rt-7?) but they're darn near floor standing sized. i'm not familiar with the models you listed so i can't really comment.
    i do like my onkyo/polk combo though.
    you mention on keeping the receiver for a long time? if i were you i would concentrate more on the speakers in terms of longevity than the receiver. speakers don't really change, but receiver technology definitely does.
    considering your discount (should be about 40% on the speakers alone correct?) if you can find stuff there, definitely go with it.

5. TimTurtino