What's new

Comments on Polk RTi38 ? (1 Viewer)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The comments and specs on the Adire Tempest look great and I have a neighbor that is a custom cabinet builder so that part looks good. The issue is compromise. The remaining speakers must be wall mounted. I've considered Polk RTi38 but not sure about the crossover point between such a large sub and relatively small sats. Any thoughts? (btw; want to stay around $500 for the sats).

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Someone in another thread suggested the Polk LSi7's instead. My processor will crossover at 80 or 100Hz. I'm hoping the LSi's will be able to go down low enough to not have a gap before the Tempest takes over (or vice versa). Am I thinking this correctly? Has anybody tried a similar setup?

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

I just purchased these speakers for back surrounds and like them. If I had the money, I would go for the LSi's. I read good things about the RTi38's before purchasing and think I made a good decision. They are 4ohm speakers, however, if you have a receiver that can power them, they sound good.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I listened to the LSi7's and the RTi38's and a/b'd them. The 7's sounded alot better to me. Polk says the LSi7's go down to 45, and the RTi38's go down to 38. I think those are lower than reality, but both should be fine at 80 where your receiver is crossing to the LFE. Personally I think the 100 x/o makes my sub too directional, (10" titanic front firing), so I x/o at the 80 and then set the sub a little over 80 (Cant tell exactly since it's a twist knob).

I went with the LSi9's. It was a close call. I was going to just get the rt25's but the 38's sounded alot less contained. The LSi7's sounded noticibly better than the 38's though, but the 9's were alot fuller lower and mid so I went with those, but it was a close call between the 7's and 9's. If you know you're going to do the sub, the 7's will probably be fine. At the time, I wasn't going to get a sub, but ended up wanting one.

The 7's are more $$ than the rti38's, and if you want to get the rest of the 5.1, the rt center and dipoles are alot less expensive (not sure if cost is a huge issue, but since you're looking at diy sub). I didnt really listen to those though, so I dont know what to tell you. Good luck.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck makes a good point. I had an older sony reciever and it would die powering a 4 ohm setup. I ended up having to get something with discrete amps (onkyo 600). I needed something newer anyway, but it is a good thing to note. If you dont have discrete amps, the 4 ohm load may kill it. The receiver was also getting hot. The Onkyo 600 does not and handles it pretty comfy. That 4 ohm thing alone might make the difference in your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks